SGI - IRIX...

Erik Baigar

Apr 22, 2013, 2:52:13 PM4/22/13

Hi there,

not much traffic in these groups any more. So before the IRIX OS
will die completely (I think end of all support by end of
December this year?), I want to ask two questions:

(1) Does anyone know whether the IRIX-OS source files will be
preserved somehow? Is there anyone aware of them put into
the public domain or at least saved for later publication?

I think IRIX is a great OS which deserves being preserved!

(2) Has any one seriously thought about emulation of IRIX soft-
and hardware? For other platforms this is quite usual, but
in case of SGI/MIPS/IRIX the answer of question (1) will
be the key to this question, right?

Anyhow still enjoying my I2, Octane and O2 machines almost
daily,

Erik.

ryan.h...@hotmail.co.uk

Nov 21, 2014, 7:54:44 PM11/21/14
Old topic, but i'll give my two-cents for the heck of it.

(1) There may have been some public source code released or leaked relating to IRIX. I don't think it was the whole shebang though, and apparently doesn't represent all of the OS. Disappointingly I couldn't see much hardware specific code, although there are references to IP32/IP20 etc etc dotted around. 'irix-6.5.5-src.tar.bz2' is the file I have.

(2) MAME emulates certain SGI hardware reasonably competently, like Indy and Indigo. I would run more tests with it but unfortunately MAME keeps crashing when I try to install IRIX on an emulated hard disk. Can't seem to get around this and i'm just waiting for new versions of MAME to fix it. Bug report is due, me thinks.

Erik Baigar

Nov 28, 2014, 1:48:07 AM11/28/14
ryan.h...@hotmail.co.uk wrote:

> Old topic, but i'll give my two-cents for the heck of it.

Thans for responding, Ryan!

> (1) There may have been some public source code released or leaked relating
> to IRIX. I don't think it was the whole shebang though, and apparently doesn't
> represent all of the OS.

Well, that is at least a beginning and it gives hope, that similar
files are somewhere around. I think a 6.5.22-src with support of
machines
like Indigo, Indy and Octane would be the thing covering most SGI
enthusiast's hopes as later machines may not be likely to get the
popolarity then these.

> (2) MAME emulates certain SGI hardware reasonably competently, like
> Indy and Indigo. I would run more tests with it but unfortunately
> MAME keeps crashing when I try to install IRIX on an emulated hard
> disk.

Never heared of this and I surely will check it out in the next
weeks...

Thanks again for this input,

Erik.

MG

Nov 30, 2014, 10:02:34 AM11/30/14
ryan.h...@hotmail.co.uk schreef op 22-nov-2014 om 01:54:
> (2) MAME emulates certain SGI hardware reasonably competently,
> like Indy and Indigo. I would run more tests with it but
> unfortunately MAME keeps crashing when I try to install IRIX
> on an emulated hard disk. Can't seem to get around this and
> i'm just waiting for new versions of MAME to fix it. Bug
> report is due, me thinks.

Could you perhaps tell us more about this? MAME of all, how
peculiar and all the more interesting.

I do still read the SGI and related USENET groups, but my
last messages sadly seemed to have fallen to deaf ears...

- MG

Erik Baigar

Nov 30, 2014, 12:24:53 PM11/30/14
MG wrote:

> Could you perhaps tell us more about this? MAME of all, how
> peculiar and all the more interesting.

Yes, I had a look at the MAME page, but I did not get the
impression, that MAME can be used to simulate an IRIX workstation?

I'd be also interested in more details...

Erik.

MG

Dec 11, 2014, 8:46:59 AM12/11/14
Erik Baigar schreef op 30-nov-2014 om 18:24:
> Yes, I had a look at the MAME page, but I did not get the
> impression, that MAME can be used to simulate an IRIX workstation?
>
> I'd be also interested in more details...

Sadly there's once more an eerie silence...

- MG