Getting Linksys Wifi PCI card working on an SGI O2

peter popilopinous

Nov 17, 2011, 3:16:42 AM11/17/11
I just got an SGI O2 and am trying to add another network interface so
I can use a Linksys PCI Wifi adapter, specifically a WMP54G. Any ideas/
pointers? Many thanks in advance!

Nov 17, 2011, 6:14:14 PM11/17/11
If you're trying to plug the WMP54G into the PCI slot in the O2, forget
about it unless you are willing to write an IRIX driver. We're pretty
much stuck with these PCI boards on IRIX machines:

9210101 BOARD PCI BOARD SCSI ULTRA FAST & W
9210102 BOARD PCI BOARD SYNCH COMM RS232
9210103 BOARD PCI BOARD SYNCH X21 COMM
9210104 BOARD PCI BOARD SYNCH V35 COMM
9210105 BOARD PCI ETHERNET TX
9210107 BOARD PCI FDDI UTP
9210108 BOARD PCI FDDI SAS
9210109 BOARD PCI FDDI DAS
9210111 BOARD PCI CARD ISDN
9210112 BOARD PCI SYNCH X21 COMM-TWC
9210148 BOARD 1394 PCI CARD

and the 3COM 3c996B-T gigabit Ethernet PCI card after a minor driver modification.

Once the card is in with a driver, following steps similar to those in chapter 2's
"Gigabit Ethernet as Primary and Fast Ethernet as Secondary" section of the SGI
IRIS Gigabit Ethernet Board User's Guide at
http://techpubs.sgi.com/library/tpl/cgi-bin/browse.cgi?coll=0650&db=bks&cmd=toc&pth=/SGI_Admin/GE_OG&html=1
would configure that port for use.

peter popilopinous

Nov 17, 2011, 11:13:03 PM11/17/11
Hmm.. none of those cards are WiFi cards right? I have an O2 that is
not anywhere near my router and was hoping to avoid running a cable.
As there is no USB on the box, I guess there's no way to hook up WiFi.

I guess WiFi came out after the official death of Irix?

Peter
> IRIS Gigabit Ethernet Board User's Guide athttp://techpubs.sgi.com/library/tpl/cgi-bin/browse.cgi?coll=0650&db=b...

peter popilopinous

Nov 17, 2011, 11:19:11 PM11/17/11
But wait... is there no Linux driver for these WiFi PCI cards that
could be modified to work with Irix 6.5?
Message has been deleted