Power Fail?

gareth evans

Nov 7, 2021, 6:29:39 AM11/7/21
I read with interest the uses to which other subscribers
put their Raspberry Pis, especially those with a whole
stable of such devices for a gamut of domestic applications.

But what happens when there is a power cut?

Do the RPis shut down cleanly? Supposing it is in the
middle of a data write to the SD card?

Do they then re-start automatically without human
intervention?

Yours, etc,
"Confused Of Tunbridge Wells"

John Aldridge

Nov 7, 2021, 7:13:38 AM11/7/21
In article <sm8db2$klb$1...@dont-email.me>, headst...@yahoo.com says...

> I read with interest the uses to which other subscribers
> put their Raspberry Pis, especially those with a whole
> stable of such devices for a gamut of domestic applications.
>
> But what happens when there is a power cut?
>
> Do the RPis shut down cleanly? Supposing it is in the
> middle of a data write to the SD card?
>
> Do they then re-start automatically without human
> intervention?

IME they usually survive the experience, and reboot cleanly all on their
own, but occasionally you get unlucky and need to replace the SD card.

One of my long-standing wishes for Raspbian (er, Raspberry Pi OS) is a
supported *reversible* switch in (e.g.) raspi_config to put the SD card
into a readonly state. There are 3rd party scripts which claim to do
this, but the ones I've found aren't reversible.

--
John

David Taylor

Nov 7, 2021, 9:01:51 AM11/7/21
On 07/11/2021 12:13, John Aldridge wrote:
> IME they usually survive the experience, and reboot cleanly all on their
> own, but occasionally you get unlucky and need to replace the SD card.
>
> One of my long-standing wishes for Raspbian (er, Raspberry Pi OS) is a
> supported*reversible* switch in (e.g.) raspi_config to put the SD card
> into a readonly state. There are 3rd party scripts which claim to do
> this, but the ones I've found aren't reversible.
>
> -- John

John, within the Pi-Star software I use there are commands:

rpi-ro
rpi-rw

which do appear to reversible (i.e. you can use them more than once). I'm just
a user of these commands.

David
--
Cheers,