Re: Latest updates break my pi players

The Natural Philosopher

Feb 19, 2024, 10:33:21 AMFeb 19
On 19/02/2024 14:35, Bob Latham wrote:
> I've been using the OS
> Pi OS Lite Dec 11th 2023 since it came out. It was fine.
>
> Today after installing it I did the usual:
> sudo apt update
> sudo apt upgrade
>
> I got an absolute torrent of updates/upgrades and now my MediaPlayer
> system does not function at all. It should have a web server for
> setting etc. and a player that should be vissible from open home apps
> but nothing.
>
> It looks as though neither components is even starting.
>
> Once added in to the builds are these updates permanent or do they
> sometimes cause issues and get pulled?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Bob.

A bit like what happened to me upgrading TO that release. (Dec 11th 2023)

Before I break MY system, will a *fresh* install plus full updates work?

twenty-first century’s developed world went into hysterical panic over a
globally average temperature increase of a few tenths of a degree, and,
on the basis of gross exaggerations of highly uncertain computer
projections combined into implausible chains of inference, proceeded to
contemplate a rollback of the industrial age.

Richard Lindzen

druck

Feb 19, 2024, 2:14:01 PMFeb 19
On 19/02/2024 15:33, Bob Latham wrote:
> In article <5b352d...@sick-of-spam.invalid>,
> Bob Latham <b...@sick-of-spam.invalid> wrote:
>
>> It looks as though neither components is even starting.

First try starting the program from a terminal window (edit the main
menu entry to find the command name if you don't know it), there will
often be a very obvious error displayed.

Failing that in a terminal do a
tail -f /var/log/syslog
Then start the program again.

> sudo apt install openjdk-11-jdk
>
> That has stopped working, it gives the error:

jdk-11 is end of life

> So I found another install command.
> sudo apt install default-jdk
>
> Which installed Java 17 with error but is it a good replacement?

Yes, there should be very little hasn't been updated to work with that.

> Does this look like it might be the issue?

You need to tell us, see above.

---druck

druck

Feb 20, 2024, 3:44:48 PMFeb 20
On 19/02/2024 20:29, Bob Latham wrote:
> In article <ur099n$217o0$1...@dont-email.me>,
> druck <ne...@druck.org.uk> wrote:
>> Failing that in a terminal do a
>> tail -f /var/log/syslog
>
> pi@LinnPi-base1:~/mediaplayer/scripts/systemd $ tail -f
> /var/log/syslog
> tail: cannot open '/var/log/syslog' for reading: No such file or
> directory
> tail: no files remaining

FFS you've got one infested with systemd's journald and no rsyslog
installed - in which case god help you.

---druck

druck

Feb 20, 2024, 4:13:23 PMFeb 20
On 19/02/2024 20:29, Bob Latham wrote:
> sudo /home/pi/mediaplayer/run.sh

You shouldn't need to run a mediaplayer as root, it is not a good thing
to do.

---druck

Theo

Feb 20, 2024, 4:17:30 PMFeb 20
Bob Latham <b...@sick-of-spam.invalid> wrote:
> E: Failed to fetch
> http://raspbian.raspberrypi.com/raspbian/pool/main/libs/libssh/libssh-gcrypt-4_0.10.5-2_armhf.deb 404 Not Found [IP: 93.93.128.193 80]

From your log:

2024-02-19 16:05:39,769 [main] ERROR [org.rpi.mpdplayer.TCPConnector] java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused
2024-02-19 16:05:39,770 [Thread-0] ERROR [org.rpi.mpdplayer.TCPConnector] java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused
2024-02-19 16:05:39,774 [main] ERROR [org.rpi.mpdplayer.TCPConnector] java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused

Is there something wrong with networking on your Pi? Can you
ping google.com?

It looks like you've configured this URL:

[org.rpi.config.Config] 'pins_service_url' : 'http://192.168.1.205:8088/PinServiceManager1/webapi/broadcast'

I don't know what it does, but can you ping that IP (192.168.1.205)?

Theo

Pancho

Feb 21, 2024, 6:48:23 AMFeb 21
On 20/02/2024 09:58, Bob Latham wrote:
> In article <5b354e...@sick-of-spam.invalid>,
> Bob Latham <b...@sick-of-spam.invalid> wrote:
>
>> pi@LinnPi-base1:~/mediaplayer/scripts/systemd $ tail -f
>> /var/log/syslog
>> tail: cannot open '/var/log/syslog' for reading: No such file or
>> directory
>> tail: no files remaining
>
>> There is a file mediaplayer.log but I cannot see a way to get this
>> public so you can have a look.
>
> Okay, if anyone would be interested enough to look at the mediaplayer
> log that would be great, thanks.
>
> it's now at..
>
> http://www.mightyoak.org.uk/raspi/mediaplayer.txt

In the log, why is FATAL being used like INFO?

It makes me wonder what level of support this app gets, if the answer is
very little, is it worth the effort?

There are very good media players for the rPi like mpv. What does this
app give you?

Pancho

Feb 21, 2024, 12:46:24 PMFeb 21
On 21/02/2024 12:20, Bob Latham wrote:

> Plays music from MinimServer UPnP server.
> Also radio streams indexed from a play list on MinimServer.
> In essence that's it but the extra bonus is that it's an openhome
> player.
>
> For my main hifi system I use a Linn streamer which has it's own apps
> which work with any openhome players so the same control point for
> all my players.
>
> I did look briefly at volumio but the control point (when I looked)
> was quite basic, it was mostly text rather than graphical.

Fair enough, I never got into the home streaming idea. I just have NAS
and play music and video on the rPi, like I would on a normal PC.