world wide Pi shortage

Yametazamwa mara 29
Ruka hadi kwenye ujumbe wa kwanza ambao haujasomwa

Big Bad Bob

hayajasomwa,
24 Mei 2021, 21:41:0024/05/2021
kwa
anyone lse seeing this?

--
(aka 'Bombastic Bob' in case you wondered)

'Feeling with my fingers, and thinking with my brain' - me

'your story is so touching, but it sounds just like a lie'
"Straighten up and fly right"

Richard Jones

hayajasomwa,
26 Mei 2021, 14:21:0426/05/2021
kwa
On 25/05/2021 02:40, Big Bad Bob wrote:
> anyone lse seeing this?

What country are you buying in and what model(s) are you having trouble
in obtaining?

The Natural Philosopher

hayajasomwa,
26 Mei 2021, 15:20:4426/05/2021
kwa
Pi hut in the UK is out of about half the models

COVID 19 has really disrupted things

private property.

Karl Marx

Computer Nerd Kev

hayajasomwa,
26 Mei 2021, 19:05:4526/05/2021
kwa
The Natural Philosopher <t...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> On 26/05/2021 19:21, Richard Jones wrote:
>> On 25/05/2021 02:40, Big Bad Bob wrote:
>>> anyone lse seeing this?
>>>

>> What country are you buying in and what model(s) are you having trouble
>> in obtaining?
>
> Pi hut in the UK is out of about half the models
>
> COVID 19 has really disrupted things

It it just that, or something to do with the current chip shortage
(supposably the result of many combined factors)?

Anyway, Farnell still have a few. I'm not sure whether they normally
have more in stock, in general they tend to have many items on back
order. RS don't seem to have much stock but it's harder to check on
their site.

Core Electronics here in Australia still seem to have plenty.

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Anssi Saari

hayajasomwa,
27 Mei 2021, 02:21:5527/05/2021
kwa
n...@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev) writes:

> The Natural Philosopher <t...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>>>>

>>> What country are you buying in and what model(s) are you having trouble
>>> in obtaining?
>>
>> Pi hut in the UK is out of about half the models
>>
>> COVID 19 has really disrupted things
>
> It it just that, or something to do with the current chip shortage
> (supposably the result of many combined factors)?

I'd guess it's the chip shortage. I recently ordered a CM3+ from China,
the same seller had hiked the price to almost double in the few weeks
since. I did find someone else with the old prices though (about 40
euros for the 32 GB model). A local seller in Finland said his
distributor estimates October for delivery.

The Natural Philosopher

hayajasomwa,
27 Mei 2021, 03:31:5527/05/2021
kwa
On 27/05/2021 00:05, Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
> The Natural Philosopher <t...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>>>>

>>> What country are you buying in and what model(s) are you having trouble
>>> in obtaining?
>>
>> Pi hut in the UK is out of about half the models
>>
>> COVID 19 has really disrupted things
>
> It it just that, or something to do with the current chip shortage
> (supposably the result of many combined factors)?

Well in the RealWorld™ nothing is ever 'caused' by just one thing, but
COVID led to a surge in purchase of tech and chip supplies are stretched
with some factories under normal production levels due to lockdown
etc..double whammy.

I buy a lot of stuff from China, and there also things are out of stock
that normally are not

> Anyway, Farnell still have a few. I'm not sure whether they normally
> have more in stock, in general they tend to have many items on back
> order. RS don't seem to have much stock but it's harder to check on
> their site.
>
> Core Electronics here in Australia still seem to have plenty.

--
“Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy.”

H.L. Mencken, A Mencken Chrestomathy

A. Dumas

hayajasomwa,
27 Mei 2021, 04:07:4827/05/2021
kwa
On 25-05-2021 03:40, Big Bad Bob wrote:
> anyone lse seeing this?

Apparently not: "The current global semiconductor shortage — which
you’ll almost certainly have read about by now — is constraining our
supply of the original PoE HAT. In general, we’re weathering the
shortage very well, and the supply of mainline Raspberry Pi computers,
Zeros and our other products have not been affected (we’re very good at
pipelining). Unfortunately, the first-gen PoE HAT uses silicon that’s in
short supply."

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/announcing-the-raspberry-pi-poe-hat/

Kerr Avon

hayajasomwa,
29 Mei 2021, 20:17:4529/05/2021
kwa
On Thu, 27 May 2021 09:21:54 +0300, Anssi Saari wrote:

> I'd guess it's the chip shortage. I recently ordered a CM3+ from China,
> the same seller had hiked the price to almost double in the few weeks
> since. I did find someone else with the old prices though (about 40
> euros for the 32 GB model). A local seller in Finland said his
> distributor estimates October for delivery.

Yes I think chip shortages are impacting globally all sorts of supply
chains now :(

--
Agency News | news.bbs.nz

Big Bad Bob

hayajasomwa,
8 Jun 2021, 21:44:3408/06/2021
kwa
the place I'm currently working on RPi with has several thousand systems
to ship in the next few weeks (the RPi is a touch screen controller for
them). They were able to find some, but at a significantly higher
price. The normal channels all ran out and have apparently told most of
their customers to extend lead times by several weeks.

So maybe they're just out of _INEXPENSIVE_ ones...
Ujumbe 0 mpya