Prime,MultiValue, and other manuals available

Richard_Wilson

Apr 3, 2018, 12:47:19 PM4/3/18
I am clearing out the storage room and disposing of lots of manuals
that I've collected over the years

let me know if you'd like any (yours for the cost of shipping)

thanks, Rich

************* start of CSV *************************
Company,Category,Description,Release/Rev Level,CopyRight
accusoft,,accuterm plus user guide,,1994
accusoft,,accutermm for windows user guide,,1996
acros,,microsoft windows 3.1 user guide,,1992
acros,,ms dos version 5.0 reference manual,,1991
adds,,display terminal guide,,1979
citizen america,,msp10/msp15 dot matrix printer,,
colorado memory systems,,backup user guide,,1992
colorado memory systems,,trakker tape backup,,1992
datasouth,,ds-180 printer,,1982
datatel,,benefactor documentation,,1992
datec,,212 300/1200 bps originate - answer modem,,1980
hitech systems,,prime information info/basic optimization by Henry P. Unger,rel 6.0,
hp,,2601a printer,,1982
idbma,,application software directory,edition 5,1986
idg books,,html for dummies,3rd edition,2000
idg books,,xml for dummies,2nd edition,2000
lotus,,reference&tutorial & getting started,release 2,1985
mcdonnell douglas,,data/basic reference,rel 2.3 5.3 6.0,1987
mcdonnell douglas,,english reference manual,,1988
mcdonnell douglas,,series 6000 programmers reference manual,rel 1.1,1986
micom,,model 802 data concentrator manual,,1979
microsoft,,ms dos,6,1993
microsoft,,ms dos 6.22 concise users guide,,1994
microsoft,,windows 3.11 concise guide,,1992
microsoft,,windows nt workstation basics & installation,,1996
national association of pick,,1990 membership directory,,1990
nec,,spinwriter printer,,1983
okidata,,microline 320/321 setrup guide,,1988
okidata,,microline 590/591 printer handbook,,1992
Okidata,,Microline 84 printer,,
pcanywhere,,pcanywhere III users guide,,1988
Pick Systems,,advanced pick reference manual,,1989
Pick Systems,,advanced picmdos users guide,,1991
Pick Systems,,r83 complete set approx 3inches,,1988
Prime,Info/Pc,a demonstration,,1986
Prime,Info/Pc,a demonstration,,1988
Prime,Info/Pc,info/basic and editor and communications,rel 2.0,1988
Prime,Info/Pc,infobasic and editor and communications,1st edition,1986
Prime,Info/Pc,inform,1st edition,1986
Prime,Info/Pc,inform,rel 2.0,1988
Prime,Info/Pc,perform,1st edition,1986
Prime,Info/Pc,perform,rel 2.0,1988
Prime,Info/Pc,primer,1st edition,1986
Prime,Info/Pc,simple reference manual,1st edition,1986
Prime,Info/Pc,users guide,rel 2.0,1988
Prime,Information,administrator guide,rel 6.1,1986
Prime,Information,administrators reference guide,3rd edition,1989
Prime,Information,info/basic reference,rev 0,1980
Prime,Information,info/basic reference guide,rel 6.1,1986
Prime,Information,inform reference guide,rel 5.0,1981
Prime,Information,inform reference guide,rel 5.0,1981
Prime,Information,information administrators guide,rel 5.0,1981
Prime,Information,information system update,rel 6.0,1985
Prime,Information,interface reference guide,2nd edition,1989
Prime,Information,perform reference guide,rel 6.1,1986
Prime,Information,perform reference guide,,1980
Prime,PI/Open,DG installation,rel 3.3,1993
Prime,PI/Open,interface guide,rel 3.3,1993
Prime,PI/Open,master.index,rel 3.3,1993
Prime,PI/Open,proc referrence guide,rel 3.1,1992
Prime,PI/Open,x.25 remote file access,,1992
Prime,Primos,9955 handbook,rev 20.0,1986
Prime,Primos,advanced programmers guide vol I bind and epfs,rev 19.4,1985
Prime,Primos,application resouce catalog,,1988
Prime,Primos,colbol 74 reference guide,rev 18.4,1983
Prime,Primos,cpl users guide,rev 21.0,1987
Prime,Primos,fortran 77 reference guide,rev 19.2,1983
Prime,Primos,info perform reference guide,,1980
Prime,Primos,midas plus concepts,rev 20.0,1986
Prime,Primos,new users guide to editor and runoff,,1980
Prime,Primos,operators guide to file system maintenance,rev 20.2,1986
Prime,Primos,operators guide to batch su86ystem,rev 20.0,1986
Prime,Primos,operators guide to system commands,rev 20.0,1986
Prime,Primos,operators guide to system monitoring,rev 19.4,1984
Prime,Primos,prime 2250 handbook,rev 20.0,1986
Prime,Primos,prime 850 handbook (including the 750),rev 20.0,1986
Prime,Primos,print 2655 handbook,rev 20.0,1986
Prime,Primos,programmers guide to bind and epfs,rev 19.4,1985
Prime,Primos,seg and load reference guide,rev 19.2,1983
Prime,Primos,subroutines guide vol IV,rev 21.0,1987
Prime,Primos,Subroutines Reference Guide vol I,rev 20.2,1986
Prime,Primos,subroutines reference guide vol III,rev 20.2,1986
Prime,Primos,subroutines reference guide vol IV,rev 20.2,1986
Prime,Primos,subrouyines guide vol III,rev 21.0,1987
Prime,Primos,system admin guide,rev 20.2,1986
Revelation Technologies,,software applications directory,,1991
Revelation Technologies,,software applications directory,,1990
Revelation Technologies,,software applications directory,,1989
rixon,,dcx818 satistical multiplexor description and operation,,1982
rixon,,dcx825 statistical multiplexor installation and operation instructions,,1983
star micronics,,delta printer,,1983
televideo,,model 950 Crt operators guide,,1981
televideo,,model vti-912 & vti-920 CRT ,,
televideo,,operators reference handbook,,1979
televideo,,tvi-912 & tvi-920 CRT service manual,,
texas instruments,,omni 800 printer,,1983
usrobotics,,sportster 56k fox modem users guide,,1997
ven-tel,,212plus modem operators guide,,1985
Vmark,PI/Open,account conversion guide,rel 3.3,1992
Vmark,PI/Open,administrators guide,rel 3.3,1992
Vmark,PI/Open,editors reference guide,rel 3.1,1992
Vmark,PI/Open,info/basic,rel 3.3,1993
Vmark,PI/Open,inform reference,rel 3.3,1993
Vmark,PI/Open,introduction,rel 3.3,1993
Vmark,PI/Open,introduction,rel 3.3,1993
Vmark,PI/Open,multinational guide,rel 3.1,1992
Vmark,PI/Open,perform reference,rel 3.3,1993
Vmark,PI/Open,sql,,1991
wyse,,wy-50 display terminal quick reference guide,,1983
xerox,,diablo 630 printer,,1983
********************** end of CSV******************************

Jim Wilcoxson

Apr 4, 2018, 9:30:06 AM4/4/18
> Prime,Primos,application resouce catalog,,1988
> Prime,Primos,info perform reference guide,,1980
> Prime,Primos,midas plus concepts,rev 20.0,1986
> Prime,Primos,prime 2250 handbook,rev 20.0,1986
> Prime,Primos,prime 850 handbook (including the 750),rev 20.0,1986
> Prime,Primos,print 2655 handbook,rev 20.0,1986

Hi Rich - I edited your list and will take the 34 manuals I kept in the list, to be scanned. Basically the Prime Information-related manuals, plus the "handbook" manuals and a couple of others I haven't scanned before.

Or, Dennis, if you want them and have time to scan them, let me know and I'll pay for shipping to your place.

My email address is prirun at gmail.com

Thanks!
Jim

Dennis Boone

Apr 4, 2018, 10:45:18 AM4/4/18
> Hi Rich - I edited your list and will take the 34 manuals I kept in
> the list, to be scanned. Basically the Prime Information-related
> manuals, plus the "handbook" manuals and a couple of others I haven't
> scanned before.

> Or, Dennis, if you want them and have time to scan them, let me know
> and I'll pay for shipping to your place.

Jim, go ahead with those -- you'll get them scanned faster than I will.
I'd be happy to add them to the online set.

Rich, I'd additionally be interested in the following:

hitech systems,,prime information info/basic optimization by Henry P. Unger,rel 6.0,
televideo,,model 950 Crt operators guide,,1981
televideo,,model vti-912 & vti-920 CRT ,,
televideo,,operators reference handbook,,1979
televideo,,tvi-912 & tvi-920 CRT service manual,,

De

Jim Wilcoxson

Apr 5, 2018, 9:58:53 AM4/5/18
On Tuesday, April 3, 2018 at 12:47:19 PM UTC-4, Richard_Wilson wrote:
Someone else has offered to scan the manuals and make the PDFs available. Thanks Ray, much appreciated! -Jim

rmet...@rocketsoftware.com

Mar 13, 2019, 9:51:41 AM3/13/19
Jim, I am looking for documentation on MONITOR.PROGRAM. Were the Prime manuals successfully scanned into PDF's and are they available for download?

Thanks

Ray

Jim Wilcoxson

Mar 14, 2019, 12:07:00 PM3/14/19
Dennis and I have both scanned lots of Prime manuals. Dennis is hosting them here:

http://yagi.h-net.msu.edu/prime_manuals

The ones I scanned are searchable (Dennis' may be too - I dunno) and here:

http://yagi.h-net.msu.edu/prime_manuals/prirun_scans

I vaguely remember a monitor program, that was the precursor to pbhist. What it did was, you patched Primos (the OS) and then ran a program (monitor) to activate and collect program counter statistics. Then it would dump out where a program was spending all its time. IIRC, it was replaced by pbhist, which was also a Prime-analyst type of tool that was never released and therefore never documented in official Prime manuals.

The way both of these worked was to patch the clock process, which ran 330x per second (or 500x per second on later models, probably other values too). The clock process would look at PCBB, the process control block for process B, which is the previous process running before process A (the current process), which would be the clock process. By looking at the program counter stored when the process exchange to the clock process occurred, the clock process could record the previous process's program counter into a block of memory.

There was a granularity option on this, because the block of memory where the stats were recorded had a fixed size. So you could either record program counters over a larger program with less granularity, or for smaller programs with finer granularity, ie, the actual program counter would have the low-order right shifted off and the rest would be used to increment a counter in the special block of RAM.

I can't remember if after monitoring stopped, it just dumped out PC ranges and counts, or if it was more sophisticated and could read a load map and dump out actual program entry names. I also don't remember if it worked for multi-segment V-mode. I sort of doubt it. Most V-mode programs would have only had 1 code segment anyway, usually segment '4001 (octal), and I'm guessing you just told monitor which segment it was supposed to monitor. Or maybe you told it "monitor segments '4001-'4010", and that's where the granularity thing came into play: the larger the range of code segments to monitor, the lower the granularity would be.

I don't have the monitor program myself. I doubt I have a copy of pbhist, the follow-on, either. And none of this would have worked with EPF runfiles created by the Bind EPF loader (came after SEG V-mode runfiles) because in an EPF, the segment numbers were not chosen until Primos mapped and executed the program. Ie, you couldn't activate pbhist beforehand, because you couldn't know or tell it what code segments to monitor.

Jim

Dennis Boone

Mar 14, 2019, 11:27:41 PM3/14/19
> I vaguely remember a monitor program, that was the precursor to pbhist.
> What it did was, you patched Primos (the OS) and then ran a program
> (monitor) to activate and collect program counter statistics. Then it
> would dump out where a program was spending all its time. IIRC, it was
> replaced by pbhist, which was also a Prime-analyst type of tool that was
> never released and therefore never documented in official Prime manuals.

I thought pbhist was older, and priman was newer. The priman manual is
in the stuff you scanned. I appear to have PBHIST for revs 15-19,
including source for 18 and 19. I don't know if it's complete enough to
build -- too many years since I fiddled. The doco says you assign the
pbhist device, run the init tool to select users and segments to
monitor, then run the target program.

Seems like you could work out which segment numbers to monitor by
observation -- ice the command environment, run the thing, see what
segments are in use. If you're after one user and one program, you
could just shotgun the segment numbers.

I zipped up the files for PBHIST 19. I'm sure anything that's not
source or doco here is hosed, and the files haven't had their high bits
stripped off, so they'll be hard to read on modern systems. It'd need
updates for any later release.

https://yagi.h-net.org/PBHIST19.UFD

But with the name MONITOR.PROGRAM, are we talking about an Information
thing here? I should ask Jay next time I see him. Or read some of
the manuals Jim scanned.

De

Dennis Boone

Mar 14, 2019, 11:54:48 PM3/14/19
> I thought pbhist was older, and priman was newer. The priman manual is
> in the stuff you scanned. I appear to have PBHIST for revs 15-19,
> including source for 18 and 19. I don't know if it's complete enough to
> build -- too many years since I fiddled. The doco says you assign the
> pbhist device, run the init tool to select users and segments to
> monitor, then run the target program.

Actually, it looks like I have PRIMAN too, for Rev. 23.3. But that's
not source, so for it to be useful I'll need to properly extract it and
make a tape image of it. That'll take me a bit, as neither the emulator
nor the hardware are running right now.

De

rmet...@rocketsoftware.com

Mar 15, 2019, 4:18:03 PM3/15/19
Thank you.

Ray

Dennis Boone

Mar 23, 2019, 4:05:32 PM3/23/19
> I zipped up the files for PBHIST 19. I'm sure anything that's not
> source or doco here is hosed, and the files haven't had their high bits
> stripped off, so they'll be hard to read on modern systems. It'd need
> updates for any later release.

> https://yagi.h-net.org/PBHIST19.UFD

Derp. That should be:

https://yagi.h-net.org/pbhist19.zip

De

Dennis Boone

Nov 7, 2019, 8:15:27 PM11/7/19
> Someone else has offered to scan the manuals and make the PDFs
> available. Thanks Ray, much appreciated! -Jim

Passing time this "bear of very little brain" evening by reading
old posts.

Did these ever get scanned and posted?

De