CPL User's guide

joj...@gmail.com

Feb 26, 2018, 10:30:33 AM2/26/18
Anyone know where I can find a copy of the CPL 21.0 or other in any form paper/pdf/whatever?

I have a compiler project and thought it would be fun to implement the CPL language. Something from my youth...

Thank you!

Bob Eager

Feb 26, 2018, 10:46:15 AM2/26/18
Do you mean CPL as in the language developed at Cambridge University in
the 1960s?

Dennis Boone

Feb 26, 2018, 10:54:00 AM2/26/18
> Anyone know where I can find a copy of the CPL 21.0 or other in
> any form paper/pdf/whatever?

CPL Rev 21.0, DOC4302-3LA:

http://yagi.h-net.msu.edu/prime_manuals/prirun_scans/CPL%20Users%20Guide%20Rev%2021%20DOC4302-3LA%201987.pdf

The Rev 19.0 one is there too, and many other Prime manuals. The
pocket guide is one directory up. Bitsavers also has some Prime doc.

> I have a compiler project and thought it would be fun to implement
> the CPL language. Something from my youth...

ISTR this being a popular topic many years ago. :) Hope you'll
share progress as you go along!

De

Dennis Boone

Feb 26, 2018, 11:02:27 AM2/26/18
> Do you mean CPL as in the language developed at Cambridge University in
> the 1960s?

In Prime land, CPL is Prime's Command Procedure Language, the system
scripting language starting at Rev 19. CPL, as does a fair amount
of Primos, has interesting resemblances to Multics, in this case the
exec_com scripting language.

There is zero resemblance between Prime CPL and Cambridge CPL.

(Someone can correct me by authoritatively mentioning when CPL appeared
in Rev 18.x as an undocumented thing.)

De

Bob Eager

Feb 26, 2018, 11:07:24 AM2/26/18
I thought it might be different. But I could have helped with the other
one.

mafsy...@gmail.com

Mar 1, 2018, 5:44:28 PM3/1/18
LOL! I wrote a conversion program (in C) from CPL to DEC's DCL back in the '90s when we were migrating from 9950s to VAXs. As I recall, the two languages were remarkably close.

I even wrote a program to convert DCL to bourne shell on Unix much later (and much harder). So, the gist is most of these scripting languages are very similar.

Memories...

Daiyu Hurst

Mar 13, 2018, 10:49:25 PM3/13/18
Yes, CPL is present as early as the beta-release Rev 18.1.

Greg Field

Nov 4, 2018, 9:35:22 PM11/4/18
I think Rev 17 was abbreviations, Rev 18 was CPL and Rev 19.4 was EPF's.

Daiyu Hurst

Aug 13, 2019, 2:16:15 AM8/13/19
On Sunday, November 4, 2018 at 9:35:22 PM UTC-5, Greg Field wrote:
> I think Rev 17 was abbreviations, Rev 18 was CPL and Rev 19.4 was EPF's.

^ This is correct.