Primos rev 24 on the Prime emulator

Jim Wilcoxson

Mar 24, 2008, 2:51:50 PM3/24/08
I have a public rev 24 Prime emulator configured, for those
interested. To access it via telnet:

$ telnet prirun.dyndns.org 8006

login guest, password is pr1me.

The rev 24 info files are available. To view them, attach to MFD 0
and do an LD. Most of the info files are in INFO24.0 or
INFO24.0.0.R15, but there are some others in specific product
directories, like FTN>INFO.

The tapes I received for this rev didn't have a lot of the optional
Prime software. FTN, BASIC, and Midasplus are there, but no PLP, no
SPL, no DBG, etc. I installed rev 22 Emacs out of necessity.

DSM still has it's date issues. I tried setting the date to pre-2000,
and it does work that way, so I don't know if DSM just flat-out
doesn't work past the year 2000, if it's an emulator thing, or I just
don't have it set up right.

I've removed serialization, but if you happen to notice a company name
somewhere, please send me a private email (prirun at gmail.com) so I
can remove it.

Enjoy!
Jim
prirun at gmail.com
--
Software first. Software lasts!

Edward Feustel

Mar 25, 2008, 5:20:28 AM3/25/08
On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 11:51:50 -0700 (PDT), Jim Wilcoxson
<pri...@gmail.com> wrote:

>I have a public rev 24 Prime emulator configured, for those
>interested. To access it via telnet:

Congratulations!
Now if only we can fill in the SW vacuum.
Ed Feustel

marlow...@googlemail.com

Mar 27, 2008, 1:10:37 PM3/27/08
On Mar 24, 6:51 pm, Jim Wilcoxson <pri...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a public rev 24 Prime emulator configured, for those
> interested. To access it via telnet:
>
> $ telnet prirun.dyndns.org 8006
>
> login guest, password is pr1me.

Great stuff!

> The tapes I received for this rev didn't have a lot of the optional
> Prime software. FTN, BASIC, and Midasplus are there, but no PLP, no
> SPL, no DBG, etc. I installed rev 22 Emacs out of necessity.

Hmm. I noticed an unsupported tools directory where it looks some some
programs were built using the SPL compiler (e.g. WHO).

> DSM still has it's date issues.

Deep sigh.

> I tried setting the date to pre-2000,
> and it does work that way, so I don't know if DSM just flat-out
> doesn't work past the year 2000,

Well, it was reported ages ago that without Y2K fixes DSM will not
work. I think those fixes are really, really needed.

> if it's an emulator thing, or I just
> don't have it set up right.

What happens when you start the DSM server? Also, can you please put
access LUR on the DSM* directory for user GUEST?

Regards,

Andrew Marlow

Big and Blue

Mar 27, 2008, 5:16:56 PM3/27/08
marlow...@googlemail.com wrote:

>> The tapes I received for this rev didn't have a lot of the optional
>> Prime software. FTN, BASIC, and Midasplus are there, but no PLP, no
>> SPL, no DBG, etc. I installed rev 22 Emacs out of necessity.
>
> Hmm. I noticed an unsupported tools directory where it looks some some
> programs were built using the SPL compiler (e.g. WHO).

Would a Rev23.2 one work on Rev24.

IIRC I compiled the source of a Rev23-beta version of whatever the SAD
tools were by then on a Rev21.0.4 system and it all worked....

either you or I have to believe it.

Jim Wilcoxson

Mar 28, 2008, 11:04:29 AM3/28/08
On Mar 27, 5:16 pm, Big and Blue <N...@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:

> marlow.and...@googlemail.com wrote:
>
> > Hmm. I noticed an unsupported tools directory where it looks some some
> > programs were built using the SPL compiler (e.g. WHO).

This directory was on the rev 24 tape. Not positive this stuff came
directly from Prime, but it seems like it did because the tape has the
usual logical tape breakdown and tape names that an official Prime
release tape usually had. It's a bunch of "contributed user
software". There is a pretty good games archive there, and I
installed it in a top-level GAMES directory. Here's a listing:

OK, a games
OK, l

<USR240>GAMES (ALL access)
3 records in this directory, 988 total records out of quota of 0.

*INFO* MASTERMIND OTHELLO KALA LAP ZORK SUMERIA
CRIBBAGE
STARTREK LANDER OX3D BACKGAMMON CHIMAERA BOMBER
ADVENTURE

OK,

So to run Adventure for example, just say:

OK, a games>adventure
OK, l

<USR240>GAMES>ADVENTURE (ALL access)
180 records in this directory, 180 total records out of quota of 0.

ADVINIT1.DAT ADVINIT2.DAT ADVINIT3.DAT ADVINIT4.DAT ADVENTURE.RUN

OK, r adventure
[A-code executive; Prime, memory based; GGR (MLA) release 09.02 - 29
Mar 89]
Welcome to Adventure4+ (660 point GGR version 09.02 - 29th Mar 1989).
Would you like instructions?
no

You are standing at the end of a road before a small brick building.
Around you is a forest. A small stream flows out of the building and
down a gully and a wide path leads northwest.

? quit

Do you really want to quit now?
yes

You have scored 0 out of a possible 660 points, using one turn.
You are obviously a rank amateur. Better luck next time.
To reach the next qualification level you need 30 more points.

OK,

> Would a Rev23.2 one work on Rev24.

Probably. I have a good rev 23 distribution with way more software.
So if no one shows up with better rev 24 tapes (kind of unlikely), I
can probably install the rev 23 stuff to rev 24.

I owe Andrew an apology too. He mentioned that he was having trouble
getting to the public emulator a couple of times, and since they are
all being monitored, I thought they were okay. But there was a bug I
fixed yesterday that happened occasionally where the emulator would do
a very long (too long!) Unix sleep. The monitoring service only
checks every 5 minutes and this problem would often self-correct
within that time so it wasn't always detected. It's fixed now.

Big and Blue

Mar 28, 2008, 5:33:48 PM3/28/08
Jim Wilcoxson wrote:

> OK, r adventure
> [A-code executive; Prime, memory based; GGR (MLA) release 09.02 - 29

With any luck that MLA will reply...

Banker

Apr 10, 2008, 12:00:35 AM4/10/08
Jim, Have you tried Prime INFORMATION on the emulator?

"Jim Wilcoxson" <pri...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Jim Wilcoxson

Apr 10, 2008, 9:16:39 AM4/10/08
On Apr 10, 12:00 am, "Banker" <jpban...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Jim, Have you tried Prime INFORMATION on the emulator?

Yes, Prime INFORMATION is available on the rev 21 emulator. (Rev 21
is the only tape I received that contained Prime INFORMATION.) To
access it:

$ telnet prirun.dyndns.org 8003
Trying 74.133.166.115...
Connected to prirun.dyndns.org.
Escape character is '^]'.

Welcome to the Prime Computer 50-series emulator, running Primos rev
21.0.6!

After logging in, use the Prime HELP command for assistance.
You are welcome to create a directory under GUEST for your files.
To report bugs or contact the author, send email to pri...@gmail.com

Enjoy your time travels! -Jim Wilcoxson aka JIMMY

Login please.
login guest
Password? (password is pr1me)

GUEST (user 2) logged in Thursday, 10 Apr 08 09:10:32.
Welcome to PRIMOS version 21.0.6
Copyright (c) Prime Computer, Inc. 1985.
Last login Thursday, 03 Apr 08 14:46:52.

OK, l

<USER21>GUEST21 (ALL access)
96 records in this directory, 3064 total records out of quota of 0.

TEST INFORMATION LISTING.CPL PEN_TEST ANDREW
LOGIN.CPL
ABBREVS DENNIS KERMIT.RUN PHIL D_&SAVEDLISTS&
&SAVEDLISTS& D_VOCLIB
L D_VOC VOCLIB VOC

OK, a *>information
OK, l

<USER21>GUEST21>INFORMATION (ALL access)
64 records in this directory, 89 total records out of quota of 0.

VOC D_VOC D_&SAVEDLISTS& &SAVEDLISTS&
VOCLIB
D_VOCLIB BP D_BP PHANTOM2_61306_-22011.COMI
&PH& PHANTOM2_61334_-22011.COMI
PHANTOM2_61356_-22011.COMI
PHANTOM2_56656_-22008.COMI PHANTOM2_56691_-22008.COMI
TEST D_TEST

OK, info
[*Prime INFORMATION Rev. 7.0.4-20.2 Copyright (c) 1908, Prime
Computer, Inc.]
INFORMATION

Terminal type set to ANSI, length = 43.
: list bp
list bp 09:14:02 04-10-08 PAGE 1
BP..........

TEST2
TEST.IBAS
$TEST2
TEST.IRUN
XXX
TEST2.IBAS
TEST2.IRUN
$XXX

8 records listed.

:quit
OK,

marlow...@googlemail.com

Apr 17, 2008, 6:19:13 AM4/17/08
On Apr 10, 2:16 pm, Jim Wilcoxson <pri...@gmail.com> wrote:
> OK, info
> [*Prime INFORMATION Rev. 7.0.4-20.2 Copyright (c) 1908, Prime
> Computer, Inc.]
> INFORMATION

How come it says 1908 instead of 2008? Is this another Y2K issue?

-Andrew M.

Jim Wilcoxson

Apr 17, 2008, 2:26:33 PM4/17/08
Yeah, I guess. There are some other date weirdnesses with rev 21:

OK, date -year
1908
OK, date -full
08-04-17.14:22:16.Thu
OK, date -vfull
17 Apr 08 14:22:20 Thursday
OK, date -usa
04/17/108
OK,

I fixed these in rev 19, with Primos source:

OK, date -year
2008
OK, date -full
08-04-17.14:24:24.Thu
OK, date -vfull
17 Apr 08 14:24:28 Thursday
OK, date -usa
04/17/08
OK,

It also works with rev 24:

OK, date -year
2008
OK, date -full
08-04-17.14:25:44.Thu
OK, date -vfull
17 Apr 08 14:25:48 Thursday
OK, date -usa
04/17/08
OK,

Jim

Jim Wilcoxson

Dec 15, 2018, 3:57:27 PM12/15/18
This is the first Google search result for Primos emulator, so I'm updating the address of the emulator here too.

The Prime emulators are still online at em.prirun.org:

$ telnet em.prirun.com 8001
Trying 74.131.82.133...
Connected to em.prirun.com.
Escape character is '^]'.

Welcome to the Prime Computer 50-series emulator, running Primos rev 19.2!

Login as user guest, password pr1me
Hit a few returns and Ctrl-q if it appears "stuck"; some bots are
hitting the emulator
After logging in, use the Prime HELP command for assistance.
You are welcome to create a directory under GUEST for your files.
The line erase character is ?
There are other Primos revs running on ports 8001-8007
Prime manuals at: http://yagi.h-net.msu.edu/prime_manuals/prirun_scans
To report bugs or contact the author, send email to pri...@gmail.com

Enjoy your time travels! -Jim Wilcoxson aka JIMMY

Login please.
login jimmy
Password?

JIMMY (user 2) logged in Friday, 14 Dec 18 21:20:08.
Welcome to PRIMOS version 19.2.
Last login Saturday, 08 Dec 18 22:15:44.

OK, ab .abbrev
OK, ab -nq -ac pwd [unquote 'type [dir [pathname *]]']
OK, ab -nq -ac up [unquote 'a [dir [dir [pathname *]]];type [dir [pathname *]]']
OK, co -end
OK, lo

JIMMY (user 2) logged out Friday, 14 Dec 18 21:20:12.
Time used: 00h 00m connect, 00m 00s CPU, 00m 00s I/O.

Prime session disconnected
Connection closed by foreign host.

Enjoy! -Jim