Debugging target initialization with SingleStep

Alex Vinokur

Mar 5, 2002, 5:15:03 AM3/5/02
============================
pRISM+ for pSOSystem/PowerPC
pRISM+ 1.2.3 . pSOSystem 2.2.2
Diab Data D-CC Optimizing C compiler (Version 4.1a)
SingleStep : Version 7.11
Host : Windows98
Target : PowerPC (MPC860)
============================

We need to debug a stage of target initialization while using
SingleStep.

Does SingleStep enable to it?

Thanks in advance.

===========================
Alex Vinokur
mailto:ale...@bigfoot.com
mailto:ale...@yahoo.com
http://up.to/alexvn
http://go.to/alexv_math
===========================

Gene S. Berkowitz

Mar 5, 2002, 10:19:00 PM3/5/02
In article <3C849AA7...@bigfoot.com>, ale...@bigfoot.com says...

> ============================
> pRISM+ for pSOSystem/PowerPC
> pRISM+ 1.2.3 . pSOSystem 2.2.2
> Diab Data D-CC Optimizing C compiler (Version 4.1a)
> SingleStep : Version 7.11
> Host : Windows98
> Target : PowerPC (MPC860)
> ============================
>
> We need to debug a stage of target initialization while using
> SingleStep.
>
> Does SingleStep enable to it?
>
> Thanks in advance.

It should. Most Diab builds start with crt0.s, which you should be
able to step through. Uncheck the "Execute until main()" option
in SingleStep's debug settings first, so that you can watch from
the first instruction.

Are you using a ROM monitor or a JTAG interface for the debugger?

Since SingleStep must initialize the target (or the ROM monitor does),
certain mechanisms, like enabling the watchdog timer, can't always be
done while debugging.

SingleStep can give you a verbose description of everything it does by
issuing "control -m" (that's the word control, not the Ctrl key) in
the console window.

Note also that you are about 5 revisions behind the latest version of
SingleStep...

--Gene