pSOS 2.5 for X86 - Can one still buy this? -- Time to switch to BLUNK MICROSYSTEMS TargetOS ..

Louis Meadows

Oct 13, 2002, 3:55:41 PM10/13/02

If you have a pSOS project that needs to move forward we can port your
project to Blunk Microsystems TargetOS. We can also help work on your pSOS
project as well. Again as you point out support is ending and you will need
to move to another real-time kernel. Blunk Microsystems has worked on
numbers of pSOS projects in the past 10 years and would be happy to support
you in this effort. My recommendation would be the number one bundle of
TargetOS, TargetTCP/IP, TargetFFS and TargetSNMP for a per project design
cost of well under $50K for complete buyout including source code and 5
copies of gnu x-tools with 1 year of support. On going support would be
10-12K per year. You will find %20-%25 percent to be the norm with embedded
products. We offer consulting services for BSP, Microcross, Blunk
Microsystems, ISI, SDS and other deeply embedded products.
a.. Integrating TargetOS into your embedded SW application.

b.. Integrating TargetTCP into your embedded SW application.

c.. Porting TargetFFS into your OS environment.

d.. Custom IndustryPack & SCC Drivers.

e.. Custom Board Support Packages.

Please contact consu...@embeddedtools.net , so we can discuss your
service needs.

We also are happy to say we have Microcross GNU x-tools in-house and at a
very resonable price! Let's make it happen. Unless you want to be a
compiler and tools engineer you will want a copy.

Microcross GNU X-tools are Open Source and Ready-to-RunT

b.. Open source means you have complete visibility of the tool internals,
can make modifications, and can maintain the tools yourself; (if you
wish) -- tool or vendor obsolescence is eliminated!

c.. Wide support coverage including over 20 target CPU families and over
200 variants.

d.. Widely used and accepted internationally -- universally standardized.

e.. Adopted as standard development tools by European Space Agency (ESA):

International governments acceptance gives open source more credibility.

f.. Develops the most portable C/C++ code, which promotes maximum reuse of
software across all supported CPU families -- saves time and money.

g.. Tech Support services available through Microcross, Inc. and third
party vendors -- GNU X-Tools can be used with confidence that Tech Support
is available at affordable prices today and in the future.

h.. Low cost platform for evaluation of embedded software tools across all
widely used 16- and 32-bit target processor systems: A developer can easily
learn one toolsuite and have the knowledge to work with all target processor
systems supported by Microcross. No other toolsuite family provides a
complete, robust solution for multi-host environments and multi-target CPUs.

i.. Microcross provides debugged software tools, documented and packaged
ready-to-run -- saves many hours of time and frustration on the learning
curve to make a source build.

j.. Offered for all popular host platforms -- users of Windows, Linux, and
Solaris can use the common-featured toolsuites.

k.. Over 400 bug fixes -- Microcross successfully built all target
processor tools and ran them through a series of C/C++ benchmark tests to
give developers confidence in using the toolsuites.

l.. GNU X-Tools are extendable -- allows tailoring, customization, and
expansion of tools, libraries, debugger, and board support to meet
user-specific requirements.

m.. Product maturity -- GNU X-Tools have the longest recorded use of any
toolchain used in commercial industry.

n.. GNU X-Tools have a common user-interface and operating environment --
train a developer one time; developers can leverage knowledge to cut
development time on future embedded projects, regardless of host environment
or targeted CPU.

Our site Embedded Tools Network ( www.embeddedtools.net ) sells Microcross
gnu xtools which support Blunk Microsystems RTOS across a number of
processors at a reasonable cost.

Embedded Tools Network can make a bundled solution recommendation and even
develop a BSP for your project. Let us know what your developing and we will
provide a tools recommendation.

Thanks in advance !

Louis Meadows - Founder and Chief Engineer (
LouisM...@EmbeddedTools.net )
Embedded Tools Network 44 - 46 Front Street, Santa Cruz, CA 95060 order fax
831-459-9316 direct 831-459-7673

"VirtualSean" <Virtu...@FastDial.net> wrote in message
> Folks,
>
> Accepting the fact that it's EOL'ed and that as of next week, only
> email support will be available from the vendor - and only for 1 more
> year at that - if one wants to (still) buy pSOSystem 2.5 for X86:
>
> 1. Will the vendor sell that?
>
> 2. If so, what is the cost?
>
> 3. If it's used commercially, what's the lic / dist cost(s)?
>
> 4. What will the vendor wrangle for in terms of maintanence
> charges?
>

> Thank you.
>
> --
> VirtualSean

Ken Lee

Oct 14, 2002, 7:12:43 PM10/14/02
<snip>

Sorry to jump in here, but I seem to have missed the original posting.

> "VirtualSean" <Virtu...@FastDial.net> wrote in message
>> Folks,
>>
>> Accepting the fact that it's EOL'ed and that as of next week, only
>> email support will be available from the vendor - and only for 1 more
>> year at that - if one wants to (still) buy pSOSystem 2.5 for X86:
>>
>> 1. Will the vendor sell that?
>>
>> 2. If so, what is the cost?
>>
>> 3. If it's used commercially, what's the lic / dist cost(s)?
>>
>> 4. What will the vendor wrangle for in terms of maintanence
>> charges?

I presume that the original poster wants to continue on this tack
because of in-house pSOS expertise and/or new products based on
pre-existing pSOS systems.

Basically I think you'll be beating a dead horse and the decision to
do something positive about it should be done now rather than hoping
for any glimmer of pSOS support in the future. We made the decision to
move to another RTOS (from pSOS) 3 years ago and have never looked
back. However to make the transition less stressful we used Nucleus
Plus with their TransKit. TransKit is a pSOS API. Thus we were able to
readily port our existing pSOS application over to a new CPU and new
RTOS.

Mapusoft Technologies has taken over the Nucleus TransKit and made it
into a solid product, OSChanger. I'd give them a try -- see
www.mapusoft.com.

Please note that I have no financial association with Mapusoft, except
that I worked closely with the highly competent software engineers in
the development of TransKit for use with our product.

Ken.

+====================================+
I hate junk email. Please direct any
genuine email to: kenlee at hotpop.com

VirtualSean

Oct 18, 2002, 7:38:51 PM10/18/02
My thanks to the various posters.

To be clear, I am not (typically) given to beating dead horses, and
your point (Ken) is indeed well taken.

While we move forward with new product development, we have a need to
maintain our pSOS-based product for another 6 ms .. 1y. There are a
number of very compelling reasons (from our, perhaps idiosyncratic,
position) to *upgrade* to 2.5.

The other Next Gen system has already been chosen. If the product in
it's pSOS clothing has a year of life left in it, 2.5 looks *far*
"better" for a number of reasons.

--
VirtualSean