Tungsten E : I'm disapointed :(

LeKeiser

Aug 14, 2004, 7:29:09 PM8/14/04
Hello,

I bought 2 days ago a Tungsten E, I exchange my Zire31 that I had for 5
days.
I charged it for 3 1/2 hours.
I noticed right away that the battery was going down very fast : after a
couple of synchros, the battery was at 88%. And I hadn't done anything
at all...
I took it to work on Friday. I read some AvantGo on the subway, played a
little Solitaire. By the end of the day, my TE was down to 10%...
Playing with my Zire for 5 days, trying videos and stuffs, the battery
was down to 30% when I gave it back.
Also, the down button of the TE wasn't working properly.
So I took it back to the store and got a new one.
This time, I charged it for 4 hours (even a little bit more)
Well, the same thing is happening : after a couple of synchros, the
battery is down to 80%.
The contacts button has to be pressed firmly to work...

So I'm wondering if Palm hasn't cut down the price of the components to
build the TE...
I'm thinking about getting back a Zire. At least, I know its autonomy is
way better.

--
LeK

Dennis McCunney

Aug 14, 2004, 9:30:27 PM8/14/04
LeKeiser wrote:

> I bought 2 days ago a Tungsten E, I exchange my Zire31 that I had for 5
> days.
> I charged it for 3 1/2 hours.
> I noticed right away that the battery was going down very fast : after a
> couple of synchros, the battery was at 88%. And I hadn't done anything
> at all...
> I took it to work on Friday. I read some AvantGo on the subway, played a
> little Solitaire. By the end of the day, my TE was down to 10%...
> Playing with my Zire for 5 days, trying videos and stuffs, the battery
> was down to 30% when I gave it back.
> Also, the down button of the TE wasn't working properly.
> So I took it back to the store and got a new one.
> This time, I charged it for 4 hours (even a little bit more)
> Well, the same thing is happening : after a couple of synchros, the
> battery is down to 80%.

I bought a T|E to replace my dying Visor Pro. I've been mostly happy,
but did notice the reduced battery life.

The single biggest influence on battery life is screen brightness. Keep
the brightness at the lowest possible setting and you'll decent battery
life. Turn the brightness up all the way and you can totally discharge
the battery to the point where it loses all data within a day.

I just carry the charger with me, and plug it in when an opportunity
permits.

> The contacts button has to be pressed firmly to work...

I don't have that problem.

> So I'm wondering if Palm hasn't cut down the price of the components to
> build the TE...

Given the retail price, low cost was obviously a consideration when
sourcing components.

> I'm thinking about getting back a Zire. At least, I know its autonomy is
> way better.

What made you exchange the Zire in the first place?
______
Dennis

LeKeiser

Aug 14, 2004, 10:14:49 PM8/14/04
Hello,

Thanx for your answer :)

> I bought a T|E to replace my dying Visor Pro. I've been mostly happy,
> but did notice the reduced battery life.

How fast is the battery dying on your TE? This morning, it was at 80%. I
changed a few memos, I watched a 1min video, the battery was at 75% :(

> The single biggest influence on battery life is screen brightness.
Keep
> the brightness at the lowest possible setting and you'll decent
battery
> life. Turn the brightness up all the way and you can totally
discharge
> the battery to the point where it loses all data within a day.

I've set the brightness to almost the lowest setting. Didn't change
anything :(

> I just carry the charger with me, and plug it in when an opportunity
> permits.

I would need that then, and another USB cable.

> > The contacts button has to be pressed firmly to work...
>
> I don't have that problem.

Two TEs had that problem :(
I guess the shop won't take it back, they always press buttons like
maniacs :(

> > I'm thinking about getting back a Zire. At least, I know its
autonomy is
> > way better.
>
> What made you exchange the Zire in the first place?

The sellers did a good job on me :D
The display did the trick of course. Some AvantGo pages didn't work on
the Zire (like Meteo, or ZDNet)
Also, the software bundles is nice. Doc2Go seems to be useful.
But the autonomy is a BIG thing for me. I used to have a m500, and it
could last weeks before I had to charge it. So 2 hours are ridiculous :(

--
LeK

Robert L. Smith, Jr.

Aug 14, 2004, 11:49:59 PM8/14/04
"LeKeiser" <NOSPAM-...@PASDESPAM-club-internet.fr>
POSTED IN Message-ID:
<411ec71a$0$18564$afc3...@news.easynet.fr>:

>How fast is the battery dying on your TE? This morning, it
>was at 80%. I changed a few memos, I watched a 1min video,
>the battery was at 75% :(

At a minimum acceptable screen brightness the T|E's fully
charged internal battery lasts three hours before the first
warning and about 15 minutes more with several additional
warnings. This is the device's worst deficiency by far.
For anything else except reading ebooks it serves
admirably. For ebooks I'm accustomed to the RCA REB1100,
which is of course specialized for the job, with a battery
life greater than 15 hours. But the T|E's screen, while
too small for comfortable book reading, is much closer to
paper and ink than the REB. If Palm would only make a REB
sized T|E!

I fixed the T|E battery life problem with $10 and a visit
to Radio Shack, where I found the power plug, wire and box
to hold four AA cells. Under load the external battery
supplies the T|E with about 5.3 Volts, apparently
acceptably close to the nominal 5.0 specified on the
charger. I carry the battery case in one shirt pocket and
the Palm in the other. You can read at least four typical
novels on one set of AAs if you recharge the T|E between
novels. Actually I think I've read five and haven't
replaced the batteries yet!

If you wish, I'll supply the Radio Shack part numbers for
plug and battery box. Does Tandy Corp. operate in France?

The T|E hardware is good enough for a shirt pocket. Now if
they'd fix the bugs in the software and add pre-emptive
scheduling ...

--Robert Smith
rl...@nc.rr.com

Felix Leiter

Aug 15, 2004, 7:52:24 AM8/15/04

"Robert L. Smith, Jr." <rl...@ncNOSPAM.rr.com> wrote in message

While I'm not pleased with the need for daily recharge on my E, it's not
horrible. I use the factory setting on brightness, but keep my "library" on
the expansion card; if I have a book picked out that I want to stick with, I
copy it to the unit itself to save a bit of power. Too bad the MP3 playing
is strictly for the cards.

But I still love my Tungsten E.

But still, I'd like to check out that Radio Shack battery thingie as a
backup option.

Jari Lehtinen

Aug 15, 2004, 12:21:24 PM8/15/04
On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 07:52:24 -0400, Felix Leiter <n...@realplace.net> wrote:

> "Robert L. Smith, Jr." <rl...@ncNOSPAM.rr.com> wrote in message
>> "LeKeiser" <NOSPAM-...@PASDESPAM-club-internet.fr>
>> POSTED IN Message-ID:
>> <411ec71a$0$18564$afc3...@news.easynet.fr>:
>>
>> >How fast is the battery dying on your TE? This morning, it
>> >was at 80%. I changed a few memos, I watched a 1min video,
>> >the battery was at 75% :(

Quite frankly, I was surprised about how long batteries last in my T|E.
Don't get me wrong, it's nothing like in good ol' Vx, but for example
listening for mp3's for 30 minutes didn't affect battery level almost at
all. I charged batteries a week from now and it has been switched on for
2 or 3 hours a day since and it still shows full battery level. Of course
there could be something wrong with the level indicator. ;)

The darnest thing is that when it runs out of batteries it's bye-bye data
so remember to keep your device hotsynced properly.

--
Jari Lehtinen
http://www.jarilehtinen.net

Greg

Aug 15, 2004, 1:29:05 PM8/15/04
> Turn the brightness up all the way and you can totally discharge
> the battery to the point where it loses all data within a day.

This should never happen. If your battery will run down to the point
that you lose any data on the T|E then there is something wrong with
your unit. It should shut down (after several warnings) before the
battery gets so low that data is lost.

Jari Lehtinen

Aug 15, 2004, 1:37:12 PM8/15/04

This is true, but after those warnings try to leave your Palm for few
weeks unused and it will drain batteries up totally and lose all your
data. Been there experienced that.

LeKeiser

Aug 15, 2004, 3:06:27 PM8/15/04
> Quite frankly, I was surprised about how long batteries last in my
T|E.
> Don't get me wrong, it's nothing like in good ol' Vx, but for example
> listening for mp3's for 30 minutes didn't affect battery level almost
at
> all. I charged batteries a week from now and it has been switched on
for
> 2 or 3 hours a day since and it still shows full battery level. Of
course
> there could be something wrong with the level indicator. ;)
>
> The darnest thing is that when it runs out of batteries it's bye-bye
data
> so remember to keep your device hotsynced properly.

That's weird. I don't think it's one of my application that drains it. I
have installed Megalauncher, but it didn't do anything like that on my
last Zire. All the applications I have, I had installed without a
problem on the Zire.
How long do you charge it? Maybe I should charge it more than the 3
hours Palm advises? The first time on my second TE, I charged it for
four hours. Same problem anyway :-(

--
LeK

Jari Lehtinen

Aug 15, 2004, 3:15:54 PM8/15/04

I charge for 1-2 hours normally. Haven't heard about the 3 hour
advisement...

LeKeiser

Aug 15, 2004, 3:26:01 PM8/15/04
> I charge for 1-2 hours normally. Haven't heard about the 3 hour
> advisement...
>
> --
> Jari Lehtinen

You charge it 1-2 hours when it's almost out of battery?
The 3 hours advisement are in the manuel. First charge, 3 hours. Maybe I
should leave it on for the whole night?

--
LeK

Jari Lehtinen

Aug 15, 2004, 4:13:09 PM8/15/04
On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 21:26:01 +0200, LeKeiser
<NOSPAM-...@PASDESPAM-club-internet.fr> wrote:

>> I charge for 1-2 hours normally. Haven't heard about the 3 hour
>> advisement...
>

> You charge it 1-2 hours when it's almost out of battery?
> The 3 hours advisement are in the manuel. First charge, 3 hours. Maybe I
> should leave it on for the whole night?

I usually plug charger in when it starts to alert for low batteries.

3-4 hours tops, normally 1-2 hours. Don't have the time to wait around
more. ;)

Robert L. Smith, Jr.

Aug 15, 2004, 5:02:47 PM8/15/04
"Felix Leiter" <n...@realplace.net> POSTED IN Message-ID:
<18ITc.3113$BA5....@hydra.nntpserver.com>:

>While I'm not pleased with the need for daily recharge on

>my E ... I still love my Tungsten E.
>
>... I'd like to check out that Radio Shack battery thingie
>as a backup option.

Here is the original article that announced building and
testing the battery holder.

Robert Smith
rl...@nc.rr.com
Subject: Re: Longer Enduring Batteries
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2004 18:10:55 GMT

I began this thread deploring the short battery life, about
three hours, on my Tungsten|E, and promised to build an
auxiliary battery for it.

Well, the snow melted. I finally got to Radio Shack and
bought the following parts:

270-409 AA Battery Holder
273-1743 Socket with leads
273-1704 Plug that fits the power socket on the Tungsten|E
(From scrap box) 14" #20 stranded pair

Total cost: < $10 [excluding four AA batteries]

With four fresh AAs installed and the internal battery
fully charged, the Palm draws 55 ma. powered off, applied
voltage 6.12 V. Powered on it draws 180 ma. at 5.85 V. I
haven't yet run it with the additional power until it warns
of low battery, presuming it will still do so despite a
connector in place. I have a long trip coming up, however,
which should give me the opportunity: AAs in one shirt
pocket, Palm in the other. I'll report the results.

If you build it, use a meter to verify polarity. The
connector inner shaft must be positive. And don't forget
to turn on the tiny power switch on the back of the battery
holder. Failure to notice it caused me to disassemble the
holder unnecessarily.

Peter Franks

Aug 17, 2004, 6:06:13 AM8/17/04

"Felix Leiter" <n...@realplace.net> wrote in message

Radio Shack didn't know what I was talking about, didn't have anything for
the E. However...
http://www.gethightech.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PTC-EB-TungstenE&Category_Code=EC

Peter Franks

Aug 18, 2004, 8:49:24 PM8/18/04

"Robert L. Smith, Jr." <rl...@ncNOSPAM.rr.com> wrote in message

Thanks for the info!
--The poster formerly known as PF.

BandHPhoto

Aug 19, 2004, 8:59:44 AM8/19/04
<try to leave your Palm for few
weeks unused>

I'd LOVE to be able to leave mine unused for a few hours, much less a few
weeks. When Bill Gates mails me a coupla million, maybe. Until then, it's the
daily 9-5. :-)

Peter Franks

Aug 19, 2004, 6:21:56 PM8/19/04

"BandHPhoto" <bandh...@aol.com> wrote in message

Just had it a coupla weeks, and it's my constant companion. Life is *so*
much better when you're organized. And can read a book when you're waiting.
And can play a game...

Peter Franks

Aug 22, 2004, 9:58:57 AM8/22/04

"Peter Franks" <youg...@kidding.net> wrote in message

Also, I came across this bit:
http://www.gethightech.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PTC-EB-TungstenE&Category_Code=EC
which is cheaper on e-bay.

Is it possible to simply get another battery installed in the T|E that holds
a longer charge?