HP200LX with Accurite Travel Floppy

j.br...@net.hcc.nl

Jan 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/14/99
Currently I am using an upgraded HP 200 LX (8 Meg / double
speed). A problem occurred however when I wanted to use the
Accurite Travel Floppy 144 with my palmtop computer. To install
the Accurite Travel Floppy 144 driver, I updated the CONFIG.SYS
as follows:

device=\spd31.sys
buffers=20
files=30
lastdrive=j
device=\fdhppalm.sys

The first line in the config.sys is required to install the
driver for the HP200LX to run on double speed.
The last 4 lines are required for the Accurite Travel Floppy
144 (according to instructions in the User's Guide).

After boot-up with this config.sys I get the following message
regarding the Travel Floppy:

DEVICE ASSIGNED TO LOGICAL DRIVE F:
SOCKET SERVICES RELEASE (1.00) VENDOR VERSION (0.00)

So the above message does not report any errors. But when I try
to use the Travel Floppy, I get the message that the drive is
not ready or could not be found.

Next I changed the config.sys in such a way that I installed
the Travel Floppy driver first and the driver SPD31.SYS as the
last driver in the config.sys. But in this case the HP 200 LX
could again not communicate with the Travel Floppy. In a next
attempt I left the driver SPD31.SYS out of the config.sys, but
with the same result (and a right shifted screen / garbled
screen one can expect if this driver is not loaded).

Then I tried the Travel Floppy on a not-upgraded HP 200 LX (2
MB version), with the same config.sys (but without installing
the spd31.sys driver of course). In this case the Travel Floppy
worked flawlessy.

It seems to me that the upgrade of the HP 200 LX is interfering
with the communication between the HP 200 LX and the Accurite
Travel Floppy 144. So I tested the PCACIA slot in the HP200LX
with other PCMCIA cards. I used a PCMCIA modemcard (14k4) and
memory cards in the PCMCIA-slot of the HP200LX without any
problems. A driver to recognize the modem card is loaded with
autoexec.bat and for the memory card no additional drivers are
required.

From Times2Tech (that installed the double speed option in the
HP200LX) I received supporting information and from Accurite an
updated driver, but it did not solve the problem.

Is there someone who can give me a clue of how to solve the
problem or know where I can find tests I can ran just to find
what part (HP200LX, PCMCIA-controller, Accurite Travel Floppy
Drive, Accurite Travel Floppy PCMCIA controller card) is causing
the problem.

Regards,
John Broere