Motorola NewsCard paging rcvr

Kent Nyberg

Apr 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/16/95

Greetings.

I am wondering if anyone has any information on paging receivers that are
compatible with the HP palmtops. I know that Motorola has just come out
with a PCMCIA pager-card that seems to be good. It has 128k of memory on
board, and it has it's own power supply so that it will receive and store
data even when not installed.

I guess my real question is, what kind of software is available to make
such a device useful? I am interested in being able to transfer files
and, more importantly, to receive my E-mail.

I will be getting one of the Motorola devices soon, so I will be looking
for ideas. I work for a paging company, so I will have a little freedom
to play around with it.

Thanks

Kent

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Kent Nyberg ... kny...@eskimo.com
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Cliff Faurer

Apr 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/16/95

Hello,

I successfully built my own serial printer cable so that my 200lx can talk
with my old dot-matrix Epson EX-800 printer. I can now use the print command
in the Filer and Lotus 123 to print text. My question is, how can I print
the Lotus 123 graphs? I tried printing the Lotus 123 *.PIC file but only
got garbage. Any ideas, please throw them my way.

Cliff
Cliff C. Faurer U S WEST Information Technologies
1475 Lawrence Street, Suite 600 cfa...@lookout.ecte.uswc.uswest.com
Denver, Colorado 80202 voice: (303) 595-2926

Ted Geist

Apr 17, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/17/95
Cliff Faurer (cfa...@makedust.ecte.uswc.uswest.com) wrote:

: My question is, how can I print the Lotus 123 graphs?

I print to an Epson RX-80 from my 100LX using "Fn-Prt Sc" after displaying
the graph.

Hope that answers your question.

Ted Geist

Cliff Faurer

Apr 17, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/17/95

Thanks Ted. Like a lot of answers, this one came to me shortly
after I sent out my question. I am still wondering what use the
Lotus 123 *.PIC files serve. Is there a way to print these directly
without having them displayed and then doing a screen dump?

Kent Nyberg

Apr 17, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/17/95
On Mon, 17 Apr 1995, Phil Drummond wrote:

> Kent,
> I also work for a paging company! (small world :) If you find a method
> for coercing your boss(s) into making a PCMCIA pager available to you,
> please transmit the method to me! I have a Alpha pager with an Internet
> address, but it is a Advisor and doesen't fit inside my HP :)
> I hope we arn't in direct competition, I would like to expand my contacts
> in this industry. (I am a system tech, with indoor and outdoor assignments)
> Phil Drummond - phil...@netcom.com

An Advisor with an I/P address? Please do tell!! How do you do it, and
how long have you been doing it? I think I have already convinced my
boss to get one of these new Motorola devices (he's getting a notebook
computer and is interested in the technology too).

I won't tell you who I work for if you don't tell me who you work for. :)

In what market do you work?

George Funkey

Apr 17, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/17/95
In article <D75BLu.56E@da_vinci.ecte.uswc.uswest.com>,
cfa...@makedust.ecte.uswc.uswest.com says...

>Hello,
>
> I successfully built my own serial printer cable so that my
200lx can talk
>with my old dot-matrix Epson EX-800 printer. I can now use the
print command
>in the Filer and Lotus 123 to print text. My question is, how
can I print

>the Lotus 123 graphs? I tried printing the Lotus 123 *.PIC
file but only
>got garbage. Any ideas, please throw them my way.
>
>Cliff

Cliff,

I use an IR interface to connect to my printer (an HPlaserjet)
but the details are the same. when the lotus graph is on your
screen, press Fn-0 or, in other words, the print screen key.
The graph will print on the printer.

Hope this helps

Geo.

Alexei G.Nikiforov

Apr 18, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/18/95
I omit the articles on the subject to save traffic.
I guess the problem is that 1-2-3 is only partly integrated into HP.
Originally, 123 includes the start shell which offers a choice
of "Print graph" as well as Import file from different formats.
Print graph prints .pic files.
All add-ins are also omitted. However, I use bsolver, auditor and
viewer from desktop version of 123.
Auditor and viewer are loaded at 123 start up.
.adn files and the other parts of add-in's are to be placed
in c:\_dat. Somehow, 123/hp searches all system files there.

Why the 123 is not more closely integrated with other applications
in exchanging information is still another question.
Maybe somebody knows, is there a way to make HP100 applications see
LPT1 created by interlnk?

with best wishes
Alexei Nikiforov

Wayne A. Powell

Apr 18, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/18/95
In article <Pine.SUN.3.91.95041...@eskimo.com>, Kent
Nyberg <kny...@eskimo.com> wrote:

> Greetings.
>
> I am wondering if anyone has any information on paging receivers that are
> compatible with the HP palmtops. I know that Motorola has just come out
> with a PCMCIA pager-card that seems to be good. It has 128k of memory on
> board, and it has it's own power supply so that it will receive and store
> data even when not installed.
>
> I guess my real question is, what kind of software is available to make
> such a device useful? I am interested in being able to transfer files
> and, more importantly, to receive my E-mail.
>
> I will be getting one of the Motorola devices soon, so I will be looking
> for ideas. I work for a paging company, so I will have a little freedom
> to play around with it.

Could you bounce any info on this device and other wireless PCMCIA
supported items/services (in US & Canada) to me via e-mail so I can do an
update for my Zaurus Web page? I'm in the process of collecting info on
different approaches to wireless communications and uses of PDAs to give
out to Zaurus users (and other PDA users) and also to prompt Sharp into
supporting such items (by releasing a SDK) to increase the functionality
of their equipment.

Thanks in advance.

zn...@plaza.ds.adp.com

Apr 20, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/20/95
In article <D76xyp.5zq@da_vinci.ecte.uswc.uswest.com> Cliff Faurer wrote:

: In article <3mu6ed$4...@zeppelin.convex.com> ge...@convex.com (Ted Geist) writes:
: >
:
: Thanks Ted. Like a lot of answers, this one came to me shortly

: after I sent out my question. I am still wondering what use the
: Lotus 123 *.PIC files serve. Is there a way to print these directly
: without having them displayed and then doing a screen dump?
If you have the *whole* Lotus 1-2-3, release 2.4, on a DOS system somewhere,
you can copy the .PIC files to that system and print them with a Lotus utility
whose name I have forgotten. Later releases of Lotus for Windows have lost this
ability, by the way. I created a bunch of graphs on my HP100LX in Lotus, then
went to Kinko's to print them out. The .PIC files were useless; I ended up
importing the spreadsheets into the Windows Lotus (it was either 4.x or 5.x)
and printing the graphs from there. They do import correctly and the default
settings worked fine. I did have to change the formatting of the grid lines to
get camera-ready (Xeroxable) pictures, but other than that it was a simple
process.
--
M. Edward Borasky (zn...@plaza.ds.adp.com)

Actually, for their size, elephants don't smell all that bad.

"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself -- and, of course, the
boogeyman." Pat Paulsen

Anthony Iannotti

Apr 21, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/21/95
On 20 Apr 1995 zn...@plaza.ds.adp.com wrote:

> If you have the *whole* Lotus 1-2-3, release 2.4, on a DOS system somewhere,
> you can copy the .PIC files to that system and print them with a Lotus utility
> whose name I have forgotten. Later releases of Lotus for Windows have lost this

Printgraph was that part of 123 way back when, even older than 2.4 as well.

KP2 KP2

Mar 19, 2023, 9:14:47 PM3/19/23
I had the same problem.