Anyone unhappy with Tungsten E?

Christopher

Nov 5, 2003, 10:05:44 PM11/5/03
So far, I've bought and returned two TE's. The first one had a d-pad
down button problem.....so I got a second one. Believe it or not guys,
the second one had a d-pad down button which works! (the down felt the
same as pressing up) ...but then this one had a yellowish screen. So I
had to return it.

I'm currently just using my Handspring Visor Deluxe, but I really want
a new TE. I'm just afraid that Palm's extremely poor quality control
will strike again, and the next TE I get will have some sort of
problem.

My question: Is anyone else unhappy with Tungsten E, to the point
where you're not going to buy one because of Palm's extremely poor
quality control problems? We're talking about scratches on the case,
d-pads that don't work, dim screens found on T3 and TE (where 100%
brightness on a dim screen = 33% brightness on a normal screen) I just
don't understand how TE owners can cope with all these things. There
is a rare minority of people who have perfect TE's without problems at
all though

And yeah, I would get a Sony Clie TJ35, only if Sony could have given
it a better screen. It looks so grayish and dim.....might as well get
a Palm m505 before getting TJ35. Been there, done that!

-Chris

Ric

Nov 5, 2003, 11:10:52 PM11/5/03

Just got mine a couple of days ago and so far am very happy with it. No
scratches on the case or screen, I was expecting the down button to be
stickey as this was repeatedly mentioned in reviews but the D-pad on mine
works perfectly and the down button is the same as all the other directions.
I don't have another Palm to compare screen with, nor have I ever used any
of the other Palms with the good screens, so I can't say whether it's as
bright as it should be. I do have my Sony SJ22 still. At first I was
underwhelmed with the T|E's screen brightness, but when I actually put it
next to the SJ22 it turns out I have to turn the brightness on the T|E to
around 33% to match the brightness on the SJ22. The SJ22 is using an older
screen than the newer Sonys so I'm not sure if that's about right or not. I
also do notice a bit of a yellow tint but it's slight and most noticeable
when the brightness is turned way down or viewed at an angle. The SJ22 has a
very definite blue cast to it and by comparison the T|E is very white.

Maybe I got lucky? Might be worth trying once more before you give up...

Ric

Charles Hawtrey

Nov 5, 2003, 11:22:15 PM11/5/03
dark...@att.net (Christopher) staggered to the nearest keyboard and
wrote:

>My question: Is anyone else unhappy with Tungsten E, to the point
>where you're not going to buy one because of Palm's extremely poor
>quality control problems? We're talking about scratches on the case,
>d-pads that don't work, dim screens found on T3 and TE (where 100%
>brightness on a dim screen = 33% brightness on a normal screen) I just
>don't understand how TE owners can cope with all these things. There
>is a rare minority of people who have perfect TE's without problems at
>all though

I must be one of the lucky ones. Admittedly it gave me pause to find
that the TE was made in China; often it seems that QC for
Chinese-manufactured goods is performed by the customer returns
department. But mine has performed flawlessly since day one.

Have you always gotten your TE from the same vendor? Just as a wild
guess, if there's a bad batch it might stand to reason that many
defective units would end up delivered to the same (unfortunate)
vendor.

obiben

Nov 6, 2003, 12:11:26 AM11/6/03
I am currently on my 6th (yes, sixth) TT. Palm support is OK, but the
quality control does appear to be lacking. Many of the issues I've had have
developed after a few months use, which would leave you high and dry in the
case of the TE. As much as I like the TE, I am not going to buy another
Palm PDA. Now I'm waiting for the right Sony...

"Christopher" <dark...@att.net> wrote in message

Mark Kim

Nov 6, 2003, 12:42:01 AM11/6/03
Palm PDAs used to be made in the USA for the High-End Models, Mexico for
the Low-End Models. IMO Quality Control has been slipping and sliding
ever since the Tungsten C and Zire 71 Models came out--PalmOne cut costs
by "cutting a lot of corners". All Sony Handhelds *should* be made in
Japan.

You *might* want to think about the Garmin iQue for the meantime....

Maybe a Handspring Treo 600 perhaps?

Hopefully, if there's too many "problems" with China-made Handhelds by
Palm, then maybe Palm might listen to us and re-assemble their handhelds
in USA instead. I think that the Tungsten E was made in China as well.

AndrewH

Nov 6, 2003, 1:10:33 AM11/6/03
obiben wrote:
> I am currently on my 6th (yes, sixth) TT. Palm support is OK, but the
> quality control does appear to be lacking. Many of the issues I've had have
> developed after a few months use, which would leave you high and dry in the
> case of the TE. As much as I like the TE, I am not going to buy another
> Palm PDA. Now I'm waiting for the right Sony...

I have been quite happy with my TT from a hardware perspective, well
made, slide is a little loos, but that is inherent in the slide design.
My bigger concern is the software. of the software in ROM, there are two
replacement files sent only to develpoers (AppSlipRotate.prc and
StatusBarLib.prc), a replacement for DocsToGo, a security update so far.
And there seem to be further problems with MMC cards. I have had seveal
hard resets. Agreed that it appears to be old Palm applications, but
even if they cause a crash, they should not permit a hard crash.

To be honest, as an engineer working on big complex buildings, I really
wonder about software quality control. Having dealt with several clients
that are software companies, I think they would benifit from the
focussing on quality control that having to change concrete with a
jackhammer creates.

Galley

Nov 6, 2003, 2:13:01 AM11/6/03
On 5 Nov 2003 19:05:44 -0800, dark...@att.net (Christopher) spewed forth these
words of wisdom:

>So far, I've bought and returned two TE's. The first one had a d-pad
>down button problem.....so I got a second one. Believe it or not guys,
>the second one had a d-pad down button which works! (the down felt the
>same as pressing up) ...but then this one had a yellowish screen. So I
>had to return it.

I tried a T|E for two days. The d-pad is crap. I returned it and got a Zire 71
instead. :-)

--
"Life is what you experience between racing games"
Galley

Gnam

Nov 6, 2003, 2:37:46 AM11/6/03

"Galley" <Gal...@Spam-Jammer.galleytech.com> ha scritto

> I tried a T|E for two days. The d-pad is crap. I returned it and got a
Zire 71
> instead. :-)

My TE's pad is perfectly fine. Guess I'm lucky. Or you were unlucky. ;-)

Bye,
Gnam

Zan Hecht

Nov 6, 2003, 6:40:21 AM11/6/03
"Christopher" <dark...@att.net> wrote in message
> So far, I've bought and returned two TE's. The first one had a d-pad
> down button problem.....so I got a second one. Believe it or not guys,
> the second one had a d-pad down button which works! (the down felt the
> same as pressing up) ...but then this one had a yellowish screen. So I
> had to return it.

My first T|E had a non-working calendar button, my second had a screen
defect (a large white spot in the middle), and my third just lost its
speaker. Lets hope nothing is wrong with my fourth!

--
http://www.zansstuff.com/contact.html

Gnam

Nov 6, 2003, 7:03:57 AM11/6/03

"Zan Hecht" <paablcm...@earthlink.net> ha scritto

> My first T|E had a non-working calendar button, my second had a screen
> defect (a large white spot in the middle), and my third just lost its
> speaker.

Yikes!

Gnam

Alan

Nov 6, 2003, 9:26:06 AM11/6/03
No problems with mine. Love it. The d-pad down button "feel" is different
than the other directions, but it works fine and doesn't bother me.

Derek

Nov 6, 2003, 9:30:19 AM11/6/03
It was open stage night in comp.sys.palmtops.pilot, when Mark Kim
stepped up to the microphone and muttered:

Assembly's not the issue when the parts are poorly made.

--
Derek

If you find yourself struggling with loneliness, you're not alone.
And yet you are alone. So very alone.

Christopher

Nov 6, 2003, 9:56:05 PM11/6/03
> "Christopher" <dark...@att.net> wrote in message

Well thanks everyone for your input. By the way, I got my two Tungsten
E's from Target. The problem with them is that they are always sold
out of TE's, so when you get a defective one, exchanging it is next to
impossible. That's why I had to return my last one instead of getting
a new one. I hope to one day find the perfect TE...

One question: Not to be racist, but the TE being made in China --- how
does this contribute to the TE's problems? Are the parts for the TE
also made in that country, or do they simply build the TE there,
importing foreign parts?

-Chris

Evgeny

Nov 29, 2003, 4:36:32 PM11/29/03
I got my T|E just a week ago.
I have a problem - my right part of screen (not a big part, just
vertical 4 mm line near the edge) have a very bad sensetivity. I used
the program "HandPainterPro" to check this. Also, I feel this, using
the scroller. When I read book, I need to press hard to scroll the
text down.
Anybody haves some problems or anybody knows what I can to do ?

Ric

Dec 1, 2003, 11:02:13 AM12/1/03

I suggest you call Palm and get a replacement. If you live near one of their
service depots you can do this in person. If not it will mean sending it in
which means you'll have to live without for about a week. Or, if you bought
it somewhere with a 30 day return policy, and you're still within 30 days,
then your best bet is to take it back to the store and exchange it.

WK

Dec 1, 2003, 11:43:57 PM12/1/03
I have the same problem with my Tungsten C.

"Ric" <riii...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Mber

Dec 7, 2003, 11:31:18 AM12/7/03

"Ric" <riii...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

I've been having problems with the text input area. I've been using a Palm
since 1999 and I found that I'm making a lot of error with this one. It
seems to have a bad area around the middle such that almost half the time,
it interprets a downward stroke as a period instead of an "l".

I tried using Grafaid 1.0 to check the strokes but I found that it doesn't
display the strokes. It may not be compatible with 5. I'm going to try
TealEcho but I was concerned about incompatibility of using this extension
Hack.

Anyone have a good replacement for Grafaid?

Greg

Dec 7, 2003, 9:18:42 PM12/7/03

> I tried using Grafaid 1.0 to check the strokes but I found that it doesn't
> display the strokes. It may not be compatible with 5. I'm going to try
> TealEcho but I was concerned about incompatibility of using this extension
> Hack.
>
> Anyone have a good replacement for Grafaid?

I don't know what Grafaid is, but have you tried going to the Prefs
app of the T|E and selecting "Writing Area"? It works very well to
show exactly how your pen strokes are being seen by the digitizer.

Greg

Mber

Dec 8, 2003, 5:57:34 AM12/8/03

"Greg" <pailf...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Thanks. I did try using the full screen as writing area option. It works but
it only shows the strokes made in the display screen. It doesn't show
strokes made in the normal input areas in the bottom of the screen. I became
suspicious of the input area when I found that my accuracy was much better
when using the full screen for input with or without having it show the
strokes compared to using the normal input area.

I did install a demo of TealEcho and I was able to confirm that there was
indeed a spot about 10 mm around around the middle of the text input area
that's much less sensitive than the rest. I found that unless I press hard
with the stylus, I don't get a response in this area. I've only had the T|E
for less than 3 weeks. I'm checking if I can still exchange it with another
one at Best Buy. BTW, I've had the screen protector that came with the unit
installed the whole time. Yesterday, I changed the screen protector to one
meant for the M505. It fits well but I installed it upside down so that the
curved side on the screen protector is on the top.