Infrared Hotsync only with von 9600 Bit/s possible?

Hermann

Sep 7, 2002, 8:09:14 AM9/7/02
I can IR HotSync only with a speed of 9600 Bit/s.

As soon as I try to increase the speed it I am unable to perform an IR
HotSync operation.

I am using a Palm m100, Windows 2000 (Service Pack 2) and an infrared
adapter of the type IrWave 520S from http://www.hoyacorp.com/

Furthermore I use the Freeware IrCOMM2k Version 1.2.1

How can I increase the transmisson speed?

Thanks
Hermann

Alan J. McFarlane

Sep 8, 2002, 1:49:29 PM9/8/02
Hermann

"Hermann" <moz...@innocent.com> wrote in message

> I can IR HotSync only with a speed of 9600 Bit/s.
>
> As soon as I try to increase the speed it I am unable to perform an IR
> HotSync operation.
>
> I am using a Palm m100, Windows 2000 (Service Pack 2) and an infrared
> adapter of the type IrWave 520S from http://www.hoyacorp.com/
>
> Furthermore I use the Freeware IrCOMM2k Version 1.2.1

Do you get a better rate if you don't use IrCOMM2k, but use the HotSync
Manager's native IrCOMM support?

From a recent posting of mine:
With a recent version of HotSync Manager you will find a "InfraRed" next to
"Local" and "Modem" etc, just select it. No other software (apart from
Windows default IrDA implementation) is required. There is a Control Panel
setting required as well though. For more information see "PalmOS HotSync
with 2000 & XP" in my IrDA FAQ at
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/alanjmcf/comms/infrared/IrDA%20FAQ.html.

Note that the documentation on palm.com is wrong, it is for earlier versions
of Windows. Palm have updated HotSync Manager to support Infrared
HotSyncing on Windows 2000 (and later, XP etc) but have not fixed the
documentation. Please all complain to them to get it fixed.

Hermann, I noted that hoyacorp had a support page on IrDA HotSync-ing but
did not contain information on the situation on Windows 2000, I have dropped
them an email on the changes.

Alan

Hermann

Sep 8, 2002, 6:13:00 PM9/8/02
Hi Alan,

many thanks for your help.

I deinstalled "IrCOMM2k" and don't have a virtual infrared port any longer.

I selected "Infrared" instead of "Local Serial" in the HotSync Manager
and everything works fine as long as I am using a speed of 9600 Bit/s.

I tried to increase this transmission rate on three different places:

1.) At the device manager using the properties for COM2 (to which the
infrared adapter is physically connected).

2.) Also at the device manager using the properties for the IR520SA
Serial Infrared Device.

3.) At the Palm itself where one can select the corresponding
transmission speed using the Hotsync settings. For the transmission
control I selected "automatic".

Did I forget something?

Hermann

Alan J. McFarlane

Sep 9, 2002, 5:40:55 PM9/9/02

> Hi Alan,
>
> many thanks for your help.
>
> I deinstalled "IrCOMM2k" and don't have a virtual infrared port any
longer.

> I selected "Infrared" instead of "Local Serial" in the HotSync Manager
> and everything works fine as long as I am using a speed of 9600 Bit/s.
>
> I tried to increase this transmission rate on three different places:
>
> 1.) At the device manager using the properties for COM2 (to which the
> infrared adapter is physically connected).
>
> 2.) Also at the device manager using the properties for the IR520SA
> Serial Infrared Device.
>
> 3.) At the Palm itself where one can select the corresponding
> transmission speed using the Hotsync settings. For the transmission
> control I selected "automatic".
>
> Did I forget something?

Nope. I've done some experimenting and have found results similar to yours
and its pretty awful...

I normally use an infrared port built into my laptop, it is identified as an
HP HDSL-1100/2100, so does SIR as well as MIR and FIR etc, with the max rate
set to "4,000,000 bps" by default. With this everything works fine:
* Palm HotSync. Hovering over Wireless Link dock icon says "...at 115200
bps"
* OBEX to and from Palm and Nokia 6210 both kinda work
* also other IrDA test programs of mine work

Then I went and hunted down a GIrBIL Serial dongle that I had. On using it,
I've found results similar to yours. :-( All of the tests above failed
other than when the GIrBIL rates was set to 9600 bps. I also tried changing
the COM Port's settings, as you did, from the default 9600 bps up to 128000
bps in case that it would matter, it had no effect. The test programs
showed that the peer device is discovered but further communications fail,
mostly with 'timeout'. This is interesting as discovery occurs at 9600 bps
then the two devices negotiate to a higher speed, so it would seem that
communications does only work at 9600 bps. This is on Windows 2000 SP3 btw.

Just to check that the problem is so widespread on your system have you
tried Beaming from your Palm or other operations? Anyway it seems that, for
some reason, on at least your and my system, serial infrared dongles don't
work at rates above 9600 bps. Though perhaps its related to the dongles we
have.

Does anyone out there have a serial dongle working at a rate above 9600 bps
on Windows 2000?

Hermann, maybe you could get an USB dongle... Or seek tech support from
your supplier, Hoya and/or Microsoft. Oh and go back to using IrCOMM2k if
you need it for other reasons.

Alan

Hermann

Sep 12, 2002, 4:49:57 PM9/12/02
Alan,

once again many thanks for your help and the testing you have done.

The problem is not yet solved and of course I'm not happy but at the
moment I can live with this situation.

I'm using the external serial infrared interface only for HotSync
operations with my Palm, usually once or twice a day.

A "normal" HotSync takes about 90 seconds, a complete Backup (backup-bit
of all databases set to 1) takes 35 minutes. And that's a good
opportunity to have a cold glass of beer ;-)

CU
Hermann