Palm Pilot V and Nokia 6110

Oliver Höhn

May 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/5/99
Does this work???

The Nokia 6110 (in Europe) or the 61xx have an IRDA-Port
the Palm Pilot V have also an IRDA-Port.

Is there a possibility to connect these two devices with
the build in IRDA-Port an go to internet??

CU

olli

PS: Sorry about my bad english (I 'am German)

Chris Speirs

May 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/5/99
"Oliver Höhn" wrote:
> The Nokia 6110 (in Europe) or the 61xx have an IRDA-Port
> the Palm Pilot V have also an IRDA-Port.
>
> Is there a possibility to connect these two devices with
> the build in IRDA-Port an go to internet??
Yes, it is possible - you just need to write the software. No-one has
written it yet, as it isnt very simple. Otherwise, there are plenty of
cable- based alternatives (instead of using the IRDA).
Chris

--
#include<stdio.h> /* 19990429 PUBLIC DOMAIN, to build: cc -o sig sig.c */
main(c,v)char *v;{return !c?putchar(*v-1)&&main(0,v+1/* Tweaks welcomed */

Frank Sorensen

May 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/5/99
The Nokia 61xx does not have an IRDA port, the IR port on the Nokia 61xx
uses an propriatary protocol. (that is why you need Data Suite to use the
phones software modem with a portable PC).
As far as I know only Nokia 8810 and 9110 are IRDA compatible (the new 7110
will probably be too).
By the way your Palm V is not IRDA compatible either (at least not out of
the box), but the IR port on the Palm V is very flexible so with a little
extra software (from the net) you can use it for almost anything including
IRDA (it is available for 8810/9110 and Ericsson 6xx/7xx/888).
This also means, that if somebody wrote a Nokia 61xx IR protocol for Palm V
it would solve your problem, but I have not seen one yet!

Sorry....

Regards,

Frank Sorensen
Oliver Höhn wrote in message <01be96f4$2d2c09c0$81324482@verlag10>...
>Does this work???

>The Nokia 6110 (in Europe) or the 61xx have an IRDA-Port
>the Palm Pilot V have also an IRDA-Port.
>
>Is there a possibility to connect these two devices with
>the build in IRDA-Port an go to internet??

Patrick ROBBE

May 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/7/99
On Wed, 5 May 1999 17:26:18 +0200, "Frank Sorensen"
<frank.sorensen@(nospam)kemira.com> wrote:

>The Nokia 61xx does not have an IRDA port, the IR port on the Nokia 61xx
>uses an propriatary protocol. (that is why you need Data Suite to use the
>phones software modem with a portable PC).

AFAIK, the soft modem part of Nokia Data suite has nothing to do with
IRDA protocol: the soft modem only produces the data in a convenient
way, and then the data is sent to the phone using the IRDA protocol
(or at least some subset of the IRDA protocol which is rather
complex). Anyway, the data is then transmitted in numerical form by
the GSM Nokia phone, so what we call soft-modem isn't really a
modem... (Can ayone tell me if I'm wrong?)

>By the way your Palm V is not IRDA compatible either (at least not out of
>the box)

Not completely true: the "out of the box" palm V (and certainly III
and IIIx, but I don't own these ones so I can't check) is able to
'speak' IrObex, a subset of IRDA protocol aimed at Object exchange.
But what people refer to as IRDA is generally the IrComm subset of the
IRDA Protocol, and indeed you need some add-on software (like the
freely available IR upgrade package from 3com) to allow the Palm V to
'speak' IrComm.

>This also means, that if somebody wrote a Nokia 61xx IR protocol for Palm V
>it would solve your problem, but I have not seen one yet!

There was someone on this newsgroup that posted a message about a
preliminary work on this subject, but I don't know if his work has
reached a useable level yet... Too bad Nokia or 3Com don't help Palm
and 6110 user make their toys talk to each other!

Friendly yours,

Patrick Robbe
<pro...@mail.dotcom.fr>

attitude