bluetooth connection for my palm tx

ps...@emmet.com

Mar 21, 2010, 11:19:47 PM3/21/10
i purchased a trendnet bluetooth adapter and tried to get my palm tx
to talk to my computer. no joy. i even tried downloading the toshiba
blue tooth drivers. no joy.

so i went to the palm site and signed up for a chat session at 11 pm
california time! the first person was not too useful but somehow he
got disconnected when i rebooted so i figured i'd try again.

the lady who walked me rather quickly through it had it working in
about 5 minutes! i was so busy following her directions that i don't
remember how she got me to establish com ports 5,6, 7, and 8 - does
anyone know how this is done? anyhow, my palm found the computer and
all is well ...but i'd like to know how its done so i could do it for
my laptop ...

steve

btw she did say that i wouldn't be able to wifi with windows 7 (64
bit) and no usb connections in the offing ...:-(

kronhead

Mar 22, 2010, 10:42:20 AM3/22/10
Steve - Its not clear - do you have this working now, or did the woman
get hers working, and now you are trying to replicate what she did? In
any case, what bluetooth software do you have installed - Trendnet, or
Toshiba (I assume you have a Toshiba PC)? I have always used the
drivers from the vendor of the bluetooth adapter. Also, are you
currently on XP, or Vista, or ???

The Hotsync in Palm desktop 6.2 on Vista doesn't need com ports - it
speaks bluetooth directly.

The method of configuring com ports is, I think, determined by the
bluetooth software - Trendnet, or Toshiba, in your case. In the
Control Panel, find the Bluetooth icon, launch it, and there should be
some way to add com ports. And, in hotsync, you point to that com
port. As far as I know, you only need one. Altho I have sometimes
ended up with more than one defined - not sure how I managed to do
that - and I would sometimes have to play around with hotsync, trying
different com ports, to get it to work.

Dan

Trevor Holyoak

Mar 29, 2010, 6:01:40 PM3/29/10
On 3/21/2010 9:19 PM, ps...@emmet.com wrote:

> btw she did say that i wouldn't be able to wifi with windows 7 (64
> bit) and no usb connections in the offing ...:-(

Any particular reason? It (wifi) works just fine with 64 bit Vista...

- Trevor

C.Joseph Drayton

Apr 13, 2010, 11:41:00 AM4/13/10
You can connect with Windows7. The easiest way is to just set up a
WindowsXP VM and sync via wi-fi.

Note that you don't want to use Micosoft's XP, use Sun's VirtualBox and
do a clean install of WindowsXP to the VHD.

Sincerely,
C.Joseph

Trevor Holyoak

Apr 13, 2010, 11:51:43 AM4/13/10

Does that mean that wifi does not work with Windows 7 otherwise? How
about bluetooth? (They both work with 64 bit Vista.)

- Trevor

commonlotp...@gmail.com

Oct 25, 2014, 5:46:41 PM10/25/14
I realize this is a bit off topic but ...
love my old Palm Portable Keyboard. I haven't found a foldable BLUETOOTH keyboard like it. (The only one I found has a gap down the middle, very clumsy). WOULD THERE BE ANY EASY WAY TO CONVERT this Palm Portable Keyboard to Bluetooth ... so that I could use it in typing on my Android smartphone?

Alan Wehmann

Feb 21, 2015, 6:04:52 AM2/21/15
There is/was a foldable Palm Bluetooth keyboard. I got mine on Ebay. It is SKU 3245WW.