Roll Call of Remaining NSC32K Fans

BlueSonata

Sep 23, 2008, 12:37:39 PM9/23/08

With GCC dropping support for the Series 32000 core, I thought it's
maybe time to do a roll call of anybody still out-there with either an
active or passive interest in this processor line.

So - anyone still out there? There should be at least one (one other
member of this group).

Also, I'm wondering if there is a way to clean-up (i.e. delete) the
non-relevant/weird posts?

Regards

GaryM

Sep 23, 2008, 6:43:27 PM9/23/08

Although only recently (in the past 6 months) I have subscribed to this
newsgroup. Yours is the very first post which I have seen here!

My interested in the NS32k family is that I worked for Nat Semi in
Greenock Scotland from 1982 to 1986 and spent time in 1985 in Santa
Clara where I was loosely involved in test and characterisation of
some of the NS32k family. I used the opportunity to acquire some
parts for experiementation. It wasn't until the late 80's when a friend
and I built two simple wire wrap boards based around a NS32016. The
project didn't really get anywhere but I think that I did run code
using two EPROM emulators. I wrote an assembler in Pascal which ran on
my Atari ST (*). My friend called his board "Jason" while I called my
board "The Force" (since "it's got a lot of power" - I wonder if
anyone might understand the reference ;-). I still have it today.

(*) Back in 1985 while in Santa Clara I heard rumours that Atari had
been considering the NS32k family for their new range of 16 bit
computers. We now know that they chose the 68K. I have to say that
the 68K was great to program in assembler, and that there were some
great assembler debuggers for the Atari. (IMHO) It was such a pity that
the Ataris weren't based on the NS32k since I (as a computer engineering
graduate) just drooled over the instruction set.

regards...

--Gary