DNS on Novell

Clint Holland

Apr 12, 2004, 8:38:39 AM4/12/04
I have a DNS server setup on our Novell 6 network. We have 8 WAN sites
and are using Dynamic DNS. Its working as best it can, but if we have
a computer with the same name at two different sites, we have an
issue. What we would like to do is to have each wan site have their
own portion of the domain. For instance, now our computers are like
computername.ourdomain.com. We would like our scheme to be
computername.wansite.ourdomain.com. My two questions are how do I
setup these wan sites to have their own portion and how to I make
Dynamic DNS use this?

Thanks.
Clint

Andy Konecny

May 5, 2004, 9:57:38 PM5/5/04
In article <fd7e598a.04041...@posting.google.com>, Clint
Holland wrote:
> My two questions are how do I
> setup these wan sites to have their own portion and how to I make
> Dynamic DNS use this?

You will need to set up each site with their own child zone while
maintaining their parent zone to keep it all connected.
Then just point each DHCP server to that local zone for linking the
dynamic DNS
Sounds easy but do watch for all the little details along the way as it
is easy to mess up. Make sure you do have an in-arpa zone for each
subnet.
A really good book on DNS is http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/dns4/
and I'd recommend reading it
and also at least lurking in the DNS/DHCP forum in the link in my sig
as you are hitting DNS scopes that are more complex than just plug and
pray.
You might consider hiring a consultant who is up on Novell's DNS in
such multizoned to help you with it. If you weren't in a foreign
country with the need for those funky 'green cards' I'd have my hand up
for the job, but just for a day or two to get you fully up to speed.

Andy Konecny
Ainsworth Inc. Toronto, Canada
[are you following the Directory Enabled Net Infrastructure Model]
The real action for Novell peer support, see
http://support.novell.com/forums/