Novell 3.2 and Windows XP.

Jason Creel

Jun 30, 2004, 12:20:36 PM6/30/04
I managed to network two comptuers at my home, and that is the extent
of my knowledge. So, please bear with me.

I'm an accountant and was at a clients and they have three important
people who have new stand-alone computers with XP. Everyone else in
the office is running Windows 98 and use Novell 3.2 and access a
shared drive (F:).

There are two computers in an empty back office. Lets assume that
they are running off Novell 3.2 and Windows 98.

Assume the client will not buy hardware to upgrade the two old
computers.

(1) The three "important" people login on a Windows XP login, not a
Novell screen. Do the three important people still have access to the
F: shared drive that is located on the Novell Server?

(2) If you take a computer that is running Windows 98, can I upgrade
to XP on it and the Novell Login screen will still appear when I turn
the computer on? Or will you have to reinstall the Novell Client (or
whatever it's called) on it?

(3) Should this take more that one day time for an IT professional?

Jason Creel, the buyer of old horses and dead animals

Jun 30, 2004, 8:09:08 PM6/30/04
Jason Creel wrote:
> I managed to network two comptuers at my home, and that is the extent
> of my knowledge. So, please bear with me.
>
> I'm an accountant

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Lindsey Johnstone

Jun 30, 2004, 11:37:49 PM6/30/04
Jason Creel ,

Ignoring the spoofed post, let's see what we can do.

> I managed to network two computers at my home, and that is the extent

> of my knowledge. So, please bear with me.

No problem, we all started somewhere.

> I'm an accountant and was at a clients and they have three important
> people who have new stand-alone computers with XP. Everyone else in
> the office is running Windows 98 and use Novell 3.2 and access a
> shared drive (F:).
>
> There are two computers in an empty back office. Lets assume that
> they are running off Novell 3.2 and Windows 98.

> *** Assume the client will not buy hardware to upgrade the two old

> computers.
> ***
>
> (1) The three "important" people login on a Windows XP login, not a
> Novell screen. Do the three important people still have access to the
> F: shared drive that is located on the Novell Server?

They need the Novell client to access the Novell system. No problem, as
the the newer Novell clients can co-exist with the Microsoft Client for
Windows.Do *not* use the Microsoft Client for Novell.

> (2) If you take a computer that is running Windows 98, can I upgrade
> to XP on it and the Novell Login screen will still appear when I turn
> the computer on? Or will you have to reinstall the Novell Client (or
> whatever it's called) on it?

Oh, you don't want to do that. Trust me on this. <g> Run a mixed OS
environment, not that big a deal. The W98 machines can stay as is,
though you might want to upgrade to the latest Wun(X client (3.32 I
believe) The XP machines should use the WinNT flavored client, 4.9SP1,
and you have to run that in bindery mode for your 3.12 system.

> (3) Should this take more that one day time for an IT professional?

Five machines? Maybe a couple of hours, and that is doing clean up on
the workstations as you go. Of course, that is assuming all goes well.
<g>

--
Lindsey Johnstone
Advisory Board Member

Jim Berwick

Jul 1, 2004, 11:56:29 AM7/1/04
ucfte...@yahoo.com (Jason Creel) wrote in

> (1) The three "important" people login on a Windows XP login, not a
> Novell screen. Do the three important people still have access to the
> F: shared drive that is located on the Novell Server?

Depending on the security, but the people who are not logining in to the
Novell Client should not be able to access shares on the server.

> (2) If you take a computer that is running Windows 98, can I upgrade
> to XP on it and the Novell Login screen will still appear when I turn
> the computer on? Or will you have to reinstall the Novell Client (or
> whatever it's called) on it?

You must install or reinstall the Novell Client

> (3) Should this take more that one day time for an IT professional?

Probably not, but certainly one with no IT training should be doing it.

Terry Bickle

Jul 19, 2004, 8:25:17 AM7/19/04
Unless Novell has recently fixed v4.9 client for XP it didn't run an IPX/SPX
based network like we used with Netware 3.2 (we currently are on version 5).
I had to use a 4.83SP1 or SP2 client to get things to work with XP... even
then its not a smooth installation with an XP computer. I had to manually
adjust my XP network settings and it took 2 reboot attempts before the
client could find the network. If you're not using IPX/SPX this may not be
the case. Windows 98se clients always installed flawlessly for us, this has
not been the case for XP.

Good Luck!
Terry Bickle