NeXTStep Protocol?

Ken Mandelberg

Jun 17, 1991, 12:22:20 PM6/17/91
Is enough of the NeXTStep protocol published (or been decoded) to
write a display server for remote NeXT applications on a different
platform?

--
Ken Mandelberg | k...@mathcs.emory.edu PREFERRED
Emory University | {rutgers,gatech}!emory!km UUCP

William Lewis

Jul 6, 1991, 2:41:11 PM7/6/91
In article <76...@emory.mathcs.emory.edu> k...@mathcs.emory.edu (Ken Mandelberg) writes:
>Is enough of the NeXTStep protocol published (or been decoded) to
>write a display server for remote NeXT applications on a different
>platform?

Under 1.0, the Window Server communicated with clients via mach messages,
in a format described somewhere in the documentation (WindowServerProtocol.wn).
The contents of teh messages were either ASCII PostScript or binary-encoded
postscript, both of which are documented. I don't know if equivalent
documentation exists under 2.0 (I don't think so) or if the protocol has
changed incompatibly (I think it might have).

--
wi...@milton.acs.washington.edu Seattle, Washington
(William Lewis) | 47 41' 15" N 122 42' 58" W