#3: Eliminating boot-up password on NeXTstation

George Fowler

Sep 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/17/99
Greetings!

I acquired a bunch of old NeXT equipment (see NeXT posting #1 for list).
One unit is a NeXTstation (not color), which is said to be completely okay
as hardware, but the previous user (who left my university in 1994 or
1995) protected it with some kind of password at startup, which no one has
ever been able to find a way around; so the machine has not been used
since its user left us. Can anyone suggest how to overcome it? If the
password happens to be stored in PRAM, perhaps it would be possible to
pull the battery overnight and see if that wipes it out? I know how to get
around this OS-level protection on pre-NT windows machines, but have no
idea about the NeXT.

Thanks!

George Fowler
gfo...@indiana.edu