NeXT network problem

mike culbertson

Oct 28, 2001, 2:29:03 AM10/28/01
I have a beautiful, (mostly) fully functional NeXT TurboColor slab,
running OpenStep 3.3. Everything works fine except for the network. At
boot time, it establishes link for ~10 sec, then drops, and complains
about networking being disabled or not fucntioning. I am using the
twisted pair port...is there some hardware config that I have missed
somewhere? Software config should not be an issue, unless there is some
secret config I am totally unaware of. Also, sniffing from other boxes
on the same segment yields no packets from it's MAC address. I am at a
loss, any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Mike Culbertson
unix admin, etc

Martin Klocke

Oct 29, 2001, 3:29:43 AM10/29/01
Hi Mike,

mike culbertson schrieb:

Apart from the fact that you're posting to a near-dead newsgroup (better
go to one of the comp.sys.next.* groups), I had the same problem:

I suspect that your hub/switch is autosensing 10/100. During
negotiation, switch and NeXTstation can't agree, and that's it.
I had the same problem with a longshine 10/100 switch.
Instead I bought a cheap 10Mbit hub, and everything worked fine.
Maybe (not ot slow down your whole network) you can put it between the
rest and the NeXTstation...

They are nice machines, ey...!?
Only a bit slow now.

Hope this helps
Martin

Martin Klocke

Oct 30, 2001, 2:50:03 AM10/30/01

Martin Klocke schrieb:

> Apart from the fact that you're posting to a near-dead newsgroup (better
> go to one of the comp.sys.next.* groups), I had the same problem:

Well, well done, Martin....
I was too stupid to look into the header...
You DID post to the other groups, too.
Forget my first sentence.
At least my problem solution worked ;-)

Martin