#1: Just got some NeXT equipment: help me get started

George Fowler

Sep 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/17/99
Greetings! I am a Mac guy (I own nine of them, or at least my family does,
plus I have several at work), but this afternoon I picked up two full
(well, nearly) NeXTstation systems for a laughably low price ($5 for the
lot). I have several questions about this, which I am posting to these two
apparently still active groups, which I read all the time, in the hopes
that someone can help me get started.

I got:

1 NeXTstation, said to be in okay working order
1 NeXTstation color (no RAM, said to be okay otherwise)
1 b&w NeXTstation monitor, maybe 14" (plus cable)
1 huge color NeXT monitor, about 21 or 22" (plug for monitor included,
no cable to connect to CPU)
1 NeXT keyboard
2 NeXT mice
1 NeXT soundbox, plus a unit called something like "digital ears"
1 NeXT CD-ROM external drive
various cables & connectors
various software, including NeXTstep version 3.3 and also 3.2, mathematica
2.0, and some other stuff

Among other things, I'd like to get one unit up and running just to play
with it a little bit. This stuff has not been used since about 1995, but
was supposedly okay back then.

First question (others in separate messages): can anyone point me to a
good www page for a NeXT neophyte? Or maybe a book I could still lay my
hands on?

Thanks!

George Fowler
gfo...@indiana.edu

Mike Ingram

Sep 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/25/99
Well, try just putting the pieces together for one of the systems and fire it
up and see what happens.....

You'll be able to get a copy of NextStep 3.3 from Apple as a part of their
Y2K support if you give them the serial number... Otherwise it sounds like
you have enough parts....to get you going. Next will use any standard scsi
drive... I've used external Apple drives on my Next box without any trouble
at all..

NeXTStep is a bit of a combination of Unix and a Mac interface...It's a very
mature system, does things that only now are getting into MacOS, and much
more intuitive than the flavors of windows...

You can do lots of cross-platform stuff between the two machines.. ( the new
Mac OS X is a bit of a cross between NextStep and MacOS ), so experimenting
with the Next is a worthwhile thing to do.

Printed books are really hard to find... You will find some documentation
online under

NextLibrary / Documentation / NextAdmin

A separate set of software, the NextStep Developer gives you the C compiler
and Project Builder and lots of other software.. so look for it ( but it
isn't necessary to just run the system)

You can get a copy of something called CAP ( Columbia Appletak Protocol )
from the Peak archives that someone mentioned earlier in this thread...
It'll let your Mac do filesharing to the Next.

Any specific questions, just run them up the flagpole and see if the
community can help.

Mike

Garry Philips

Sep 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/30/99
Can you point me to the path of NeXTdum.

I have a NeXTstation Turbocolor with 17" monitor. But I have no
documentation or OS media. I purchased this on Ebay. Won the bid for
$250.

I'm looking for a external CD-ROM for this machine. And another
internal HD, it has room for another one, at lest that's what the
peanuts archive faq tells me. We where did you get you hardware?

I'm also looking for the OS media and documentation. My Mach man pages
are missing, which makes it difficult to configure for a network.

cal...@erie.net

Oct 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/27/99
http://www.blackholeinc.com Great site!!!!!