NeXT Newbie needs HELP!

Nik

May 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/5/99
Just purchased a NeXT slab of some sort (model M100?) off of eBay. Item
came sort of as advertised, except it wasn't a cube, and doesn't seem
to run too well. I'm working off the fairly broad assumption (my NeXT
experience is simply having salivated over the cubes since Jobs first
rolled 'em out) that I don't have a loaded OS. Then again, maybe
something else is wrong.

What I could use is a little guidance, here. I taught my own little
self Linux and never want to go through that mess with unknown
hardware. So, here's my symptoms:

Turn on computer, display powers up, NeXT logo appears and it starts a
system test. It the promptly FAILS the system test ("System Test
Failed" is the handy dandy error message) and then turns off after a
few seconds.

Slab has zilch other than a keyboard, mouse, megapixel mono display,
and a 2.88 floppy (though I'm told there's a 100 meg HD in there, I
haven't seen proof yet -- the case lid is stuck on tight).

So, can anyone tell me what my problem is? If it's hardware, can anyone
help me open up the #$@@(#)! case lid?

Thanks a lot. Any help you give me will keep one more geek from going
Intel (almost went for the Pentium with OpenStep -- keep me away!).

Also, if you can, any info on the specs of this particular box would be
pretty ginchy, too.

Thanks again.

--Nik

Greg Alexander

May 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/5/99

Try hitting command-~, alternate-~, or control-~ (I forget which) in that
interval before it turns off, but right after the error message. You may
also want to try alternate-command-*, which resets your NeXT (seems to
be about equivalent to the reset button on most PCs) and maybe the
second time booting, it won't be so stupid. :) If you can get it to a
state where it stays on with a prompt, you can try 'ben' to make it boot
off the network or 'bsd' to make it boot off of scsi disk. you may also
want to try 'p' to try to configure it away from doing whatever test or
whatever it does that makes it turn off.
Good luck. I guess you're not too interested, but if you manage
to get it to go to the boot prompt, it's pretty trivial to boot linux on
it and it's becoming increasingly useful every day now. :)

--
Greg Alexander - http://galexand.tsx.org/
----

Ken Lui

May 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/5/99
In article <050519990020295887%gerber...@peakpeak.com>,

Nik <gerber...@peakpeak.com> wrote:
>Just purchased a NeXT slab of some sort (model M100?) off of eBay. Item
>came sort of as advertised, except it wasn't a cube, and doesn't seem
>to run too well.

Well, a NeXT slab isn't a NeXT cube.

Your system test failed may be due to bad keyboard, mouse, RAM,
whatever. Change to verbose booting and see what happens. Cmd-~
followed by "p" to change your settings after it turns on.

Ken
--
Ken Lui 19111 Pruneridge Avenu
kl...@cup.hp.com Cupertino, CA 95014-0795 USA

skots

May 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/8/99

> Good luck. I guess you're not too interested, but if you manage
> to get it to go to the boot prompt, it's pretty trivial to boot linux on
> it and it's becoming increasingly useful every day now. :)

I am unaware that linux would run on black hardware...can you point me in the
right direction?

Thanks
Skot
jss...@uswest.net