#2: Use of NeXT monitor with Mac

George Fowler

Sep 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/17/99
Greetings!

I bought a bunch of NeXT equipment (see NeXT posting #1 for list). One
item is a huge 21 or 22" color monitor. Specifically, this is a NeXT
Monitor CM2186A3NE, manufactured in Feb. 1991, but not used since about
1994 or 1995. (Probably the CM is "color monitor", the 21 is inches.)
There is a plug which attaches at the monitor end that has three colored
wires going into the monitor, and terminates in a female plug with a
number of holes for pins and 3 larger holds for odd-looking fat plugs of
some sort. I have been told that it works, but cannot check it myself
because I have no cable to connect it to the NeXTstation color, and that
CPU has no RAM in any event. A guy at our university electronics lab told
me he could make a cable to connect it to a Mac. Is anyone using this kind
of setup, and will a NeXT monitor of this type make a satisfactory Mac
monitor? It would probably run on an 8500/180 upgraded to G3/300, used for
desktop publishing operations, mostly text and light 2D graphics. The Mac
has an Apple 15" multiscan AV at the moment. Multiscan capability would be
highly desirable for these functions. I'd like to know what kind of driver
I need to find to use it with a Mac, and if anyone can point me in the
right direction.

Thanks!

George Fowler
gfo...@indiana.edu