Boot Problems on Black Hardware?

Cory M. Stargel

Mar 20, 2001, 3:58:12 PM3/20/01
I recently purchased a NeXTstation color used. It came with no software
disks. It has the OS pre-installed. When I boot the machine, it checks the
disk and starts to boot. Then it says starting Network services...and
hangs. It never gets any further.

I tried entering into the rom monitor and booting from that point. It tells
me the network is unreachable, and then just hangs.

Any help?

Thanks in advance.

Cory

H.-R. Oberhage

Mar 21, 2001, 5:20:02 AM3/21/01
Cory M. Stargel (c.st...@home.com) wrote:

Hello,

: I recently purchased a NeXTstation color used. It came with no software

Yes, it most probably has a previous network configuration and is may be
even part of a (former) netinfo-network, not being the master itself,
so it look for one.

The simplest thing to do is to boot verbose (-v) from the ROM-Monitor
(you don't have to select 'single-user' mode for this) and then press
Control-C when the machine gives up to connect to the network and tells
you so. Then log in as 'root' and make an initial proper network configuration
or change the current one to reflect your setup.

When all else fails, there are 'empty' "template" in another directory
so that you can 'start from scratch' by copying them over.

But before that try to 'fix' your current machinestate, when you can.

Greetings,
Ruediger Oberhage
--
H.-R. Oberhage
Mail: Univ.-GH Essen E-Mail: ober...@Uni-Essen.DE

Eric Dew

Mar 23, 2001, 6:25:16 PM3/23/01
In article <EvPt6.36879$hf.13...@news1.elmhst1.il.home.com>,

Sounds like it's trying to boot from the network rather than from the
SCSI where the root resides. The previous owner may have it set to
boot from the network instead of the harddrive. The default is whatever
was the last choice to boot from.

Booting from the network requires one to enter "ben" for the booting
method in the ROM monitor. Booting from the hardrive requires "bsd"
as the ROM command. Try that in the ROM window.

EDEW