Boot Hanging

Jay Jacobson

Nov 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/26/97

Hey all. I just installed two additional 4MB SIMMS (for a total of 32MB
now) in my NeXT Station Color Slab (original Black hardware). Previously,
with 24MB, it would boot fine. Now, it tells me that the 'Ststem Test
Failed'. When I go into the ROM Monitor and turn on verbose testing, two
problems occur. First, It says that my two new SIMMS are bad, but I just
tested them in my Linux box, and they are fine. Secondly, when I try to
continue boot-up anyway, it hangs at the point:

Setting tape block size for /dev/nrst0
Setting tape block size for /dev/nrst1

Any ideas why it would hang there? In the ROM Monitor, when I look at the
Memory Configuration, it tells me that all my old SIMMS (24MB worth) are
parity, and my new ones (8MB worth) are not. The configuration is sockets
1-4 = parity, 5-6 = non-parity, 7-8 = parity. From my understanding, I
should be able to mix-match patiry/non-parity, as long as it is not mixed
within a bank. All SIMMS are 4MB each. Any clues?

Please email to j...@good.net. Thanks.

~Jay

- J a y J a c o b s o n
- Network Engineer, ISP -- 602.303.9500 -- 888.Good.Net
- j...@good.net -- www.goodnet.com/~nin