Net booting a PC?

Mickey A. Lasky

Jul 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/12/95
What exactly would I need to do to get a 486 to net boot off of a
turbo slab? Do I need to repartition the DOS box for NeXTStep or would it
share files?

------
Mickey Lasky mic...@va.pubnix.com
ITA Communications mic...@ita.org (NeXTMail welcomed)
http://www.ita.org/~dokk/ita.html

"I like my meat so rare a skilled veterinarian would have a good chance of
bringing it back to life."

--- Bad beer commercial hear on the interstate.

Felipe A. Rodriguez

Jul 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/13/95
In article <3u1814$m...@pub01.va.pubnix.com> mic...@va.pubnix.com (Mickey
A. Lasky) writes:
> What exactly would I need to do to get a 486 to net boot off of a
>turbo slab? Do I need to repartition the DOS box for NeXTStep or would
it
>share files?
>
>------
>Mickey Lasky mic...@va.pubnix.com
>ITA Communications mic...@ita.org (NeXTMail welcomed)
> http://www.ita.org/~dokk/ita.html

[snip]

I asked this very question a while back, but recieved no reply.
Eventually, I was able to figure it out based on the information in the
System Administration manual and some info posted regarding a CDROM boot.
The following are my notes I hope they are of some help.

-- Make a boot disk

1. GUI method

Use WorkspaceManager's "check for disk's" menu item to find and
select the disk. Select "Initialize" from the WM menu

2. Command Line method

With floppy to be formatted in drive type the following in a shell

disk -l DDrivers -i /dev/rfd0a

**disk will format the floppy, label it DDrivers, and write a boot program
to the disk's boot block.

-- Copy the following files to the boot floppy (from install floppy or hd)

1. Copy mach_kernel to the root directory
2. Copy /private/Drivers/i386/System.config
3. Copy /usr/standalone/i386/BootHelp.txt
4. Copy /usr/standalone/i386/sarld
5. Copy /usr/standalone/i386/Language.table
6. Copy /usr/standalone/i386/English.lproj/Localizable.strings

-- Edit boot floppy System.config's Instance0.table file

System.config is a compound doc containing a file Instance0.table. Edit
/private/Drivers/i386/System.config/Instance0.table as follows:

"Version" = "3.30";
"Boot Drivers" = "Adaptec1542B Intel824X0 PS2Keyboard PCIBus EISABus
EtherLink3";
"Active Drivers" = "BusMouse VGA";
"Kernel" = "mach_kernel";
"Kernel Flags" = "rootdev=cdrom";
"Boot Graphics" = "No";
"Install Mode" = "No";
"Ask For Drivers" = "Yes";
"Language" = "English";
"Prompt For Driver Disk" = "Yes";
"APM" = "No";
"Driver Disk Prompts" = "3";
"DRIVER_ASK_3" = "Yes";

Add your SCSI or IDE driver to

"Boot Drivers" = "......."

Adding Floppy here enables you to mount a floppy in single user mode
without using driverLoader command. Also delete Drivers which are not in
your system.

Add your Active Drivers to

"Active Drivers" = ""

They can be found in your Instance0.table on hard drive.

Change Kernel Flags option as

"Kernel Flags" = "rootdev=sd0a"

Turn off Install Mode by editing

"Install Mode" = "No"

As the SCSI or IDE driver will be loaded in "Boot Drivers" option, delete

"Installation Driver Families" = "Disk SCSI"
"DRIVER_FAMILIES_1" = "SCSI"
"DRIVER_FAMILIES_2" = "SCSI Disk"

and change these lines

"Driver Disk Prompts" = "1"
"DRIVER_ASK_1" = "Yes"

Then add drivers to Device Driver Floppy which you specified in "Boot
Drivers". All of these chages can be override at boot: prompt so this
floppy can be used as a general boot floppy.

-- CDROM boot

1. Reboot system with boot floppy in drive A:
2. At the boot prompt type

fd()mach_kernel rootdev=sd0a -s

**Boot using floppy mach kernel with first SCSI as root filesystem in
single user

-- NetBoot server setup

1. Create a directory labeled "clients" in the root folder.
2. In a shell type "newclient clientname" . This will create a dir
/clients/clientname and fill it with files necessary for the netboot
client to mount this dir as /private.
3. Export the root dir with root access to the netboot client.
4. Using Hostmanager.app open the domain of the netboot client. In the
panel that appears press the button labeled Netboot Configuration.
5. In the Netboot Configuration panel enter the following:

Default kernel mach
Root Directory server:/
Private Directory server:/clients/clientname

-- NetBoot'ing

1. Reboot system with boot floppy in drive A:
2. At the boot prompt type

fd()mach_kernel rootdev=en0 -s

**Boot using floppy mach kernel with ethernet 0 as root filesystem in
single user

3. At the "what adapter is your SCSI CD on" prompt choose the appropriate
ethernet adapter for your computer.
4. At the "what adapter is your hd on" prompt choose the appropriate SCSI
or IDE controller for your computer.

-- Mount other filesystems

When you get to a '#' prompt, you can mount your hard drive using:
# /usr/etc/mount -n /dev/sd0a /disk
or
# /usr/etc/mount -n /dev/hd0a /disk

The '-n' option is to tell mount not to update the mtab file because the
root device is a read-only filesystem ( if CD ROM).

--
Felipe A. Rodriguez # ...it cannot be called ingenuity to kill
Agoura Hills, CA # one's fellow citizens, to betray