BETA TESTERS: DOOM!

John Carmack

Nov 29, 1993, 5:53:03 PM11/29/93
There is a BETA version of DOOM for NS intel available at:

cs.orst.edu : /pub/next/submissions/Doom.app.compressed

It expects a color system, but it MAY run under an 8 bit grey display. Performance is a LOT better if you have installed 3.2.

There are no sound effects or music, and the colors are a bit off, but otherwise the game is exactly the same as the yet-to-be-released dos version (99% done).

Let us know about any problems you find with the gameplay (not with the NeXT interface -- a later version will be more NeXTy and have better performance under NS). Email to sha...@idsoftware.com will be directed to the apropriate people.

My hope in releasing the version is that a few dozen NeXT players will find a couple bugs that I can fix before releasing the dos version, which will spread to zillions of sites overnight.

Don't gloat over any PC gamers you may know, or they may hunt me down and kill me.

John Carmack
Id Software