book about the history of NeXT computers

Thierry Mella

Jun 21, 2007, 6:06:12 PM6/21/07

I remember a book - back in 1993 - written on the
story of NeXT computers.

The title is :

"Steve Jobs & the NeXT Big Thing"

<http://www.amazon.com/Steve-Jobs-Next-Big-Thing/dp/0689121350/ref=sr_1_23/002-6315740-4158434?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1182438093&sr=8-23>

Has anyone have read it ? What's your advice about the content ?

Thierry

Eric

Dec 16, 2007, 12:19:34 PM12/16/07

Ah, yes. I have that book - got it at a used book sale a while back. I've
read it twice, and I thought that it was overly negative and did not
mention most of NeXT's successes (like the NSA, whom they actually made
machines for after the Fremont factory "shut down"). It does mention the
William Morris Agency, however, somehow, it managed to put a negative
spin on it (something about the Agency not needing computers, if I recall
correctly). The whole book focuses on NeXT from a business perspective,
not a technology perspective.

Eric

wessd

Sep 1, 2008, 10:12:21 AM9/1/08
On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 00:06:12 +0200, Thierry Mella
<thierr...@skynet.be> wrote:

I sold about 8 of those books here in 98 or so.

The book was VERY anti Jobs, the author had had a bad experience with
Jobs (who hasn't?) and took it personally, so he had an ax to grind.
Stross also wrote E-boys, another not real good book.
The NeXT story is so obscure,and so controlled by Steve, we may never
get the trivia and scoop we crave. The Second Coming of Steve Jobs and
iCON are very good books.

I have scarfed every thing off the web I can on NeXT, I love the demo
vdeos.
I have a cube, only the cube, nothing else. I keep thinking I want to
put a windoze system into it.

I would love to have a working system.
WessD

kb7...@freeshell.org