If you are pissed with Microsoft de-facto monopoly...

Zalek...@hotmail.com

Feb 19, 2007, 12:15:16 PM2/19/07
This is the email I sent to my repesentatives. If you'll send your
email too, it maybe convince the US Congress/Senate to sponser this
law, regardless of MS lobbying efforts.

--------------------------------
Dear Sir,

When I tried to access the Citibank site
https://www.myhomeequity.com/MHE/home.do?sc=0 using my default browser
- Mozilla, I received a message that the only way I can access this
site is by using Microsoft IE. It happens to me with other sites too.
When I use Microsoft IE my computer constantly crashes, so I prefer to
use Mozilla. I also own other computers with Linux, and there is no IE
for Linux. Today the Internet is a standard way for many consumer
products and by forcing consumers to use Microsoft products, it is
like forcing drivers to use Ford cars on some highways.
Please sponser a law that any US comercial Internet site must accept
any Internet browser that adheres to established standards, without
regard of OS or browser maker.

Zalek Bloom

Rex Ballard

Feb 19, 2007, 1:12:53 PM2/19/07
On Feb 19, 12:15 pm, ZalekBl...@hotmail.com wrote:
> This is the email I sent to my repesentatives. If you'll send your
> email too, it maybe convince the US Congress/Senate to sponser this
> law, regardless of MS lobbying efforts.
> --------------------------------
> Dear Sir,
>
> When I tried to access the Citibank site
> https://www.myhomeequity.com/MHE/home.do?sc=0
> using my default browser
> - Mozilla, I received a message that the only way I can access this
> site is by using Microsoft IE. It happens to me with other sites too.
> When I use Microsoft IE my computer constantly crashes, so I prefer to
> use Mozilla. I also own other computers with Linux, and there is no IE
> for Linux.

So let me get this streight. You wanted to access a site involving a
home equity loan, related to a transaction involving possibly over
$200,000 in financial value, and they said "Fork off Linux user, we
refuse to talk to you unless you use Windows and use settings
guaranteed to give you a virus within 4 hours or less. After all, how
can we stay in business if you don't let hackers go and drain every
last dollar out of your home equity line of credit, to purchase porn
to be sent to Malaysia or the Phillipines?

> Today the Internet is a standard way for many consumer
> products and by forcing consumers to use Microsoft products, it is
> like forcing drivers to use Ford cars on some highways.

> Please sponser a law that any US comercial Internet site must accept
> any Internet browser that adheres to established standards, without
> regard of OS or browser maker.

What you should probably do is address this letter to the federal
communications commission, the department of commerce, and the
department of justice.

The department of justice is responsible for enforcing the antitrust
provisions, specifically related to the use of proprietary protocols -
and their disclosures. This demonstrates that Microsoft has not
ceased it's illegal use of protocols to protect and extend it's
monopoly - into the banking system.

The Federal Communications Commission regulates all transmissions
using and publicly accessible circuit. If proprietary protocols are
being used for the purpose of committing criminal acts (including
Sherman Act and Clayton Act violations), or if the Microsoft/Citibank
requirements are forcing you to leave yourself exposed to hackers,
worms, viruses, trojans, spyware, and other types of malware, then
it's the FCC's job to make them clean up their act.

The Treasury department is responsible for regulating banks. If the
bank is refusing to give you financial information relative to your
account unless you pay a premium price to install Microsoft's products
and expose yourself to security hazards, then the bank may be subject
to enforcement of existing regulations. In addition, the bank may
hold the bank liable for any damage done to any user's computers as a
result of requiring that interface. This could also be the basis of a
class action lawsuit against Citibank.

The Department of Commerce is responsible for regulating all
commercial transactions, including the standards used for the
Internet. The Department of commerce enforces the standards
established by the IETF, and assures that commerce standards do not
result in illegal witholding of information. Were you told before you
got your loan that you would not be allowed to access your account
using an industry standard browser? Were you told, in advance, when
you were getting your loan, that you would ONLY be allowed to access
your financial records from a virus vulnerable configuration of
Windows and Internet Explorer?

Finally, send a letter to Citibank, letting them know that you have
notified about 200,000 people that their website considers the 300
Million peoplo who use Firefox - that they are no longer desirable
customers of Citibank.

Send e-mails, followed by faxes, followed by printed letters, to each
of these agencies, listing all of the recipients on the same "master
letter" with recipient specific notes to each recipient.

Don't forget to send letters of this type to state agencies as well.
Make it very clear that Citibank is forcing you to expose yourself to
the technology used by hackers and thieves to access your financial
records and damage your computer. Make sure that you make it clear
that at least 300 milion people world-wide have chosen not to
deliberatly expose themselves to this risk.

The next hacker that attempts to drain financial resources from any
customer of any bank who also needs to access citibank, can now be
named in a class action lawsuit against Citibank. This is why you
included all of these other agencies in your CC'd letter. Citibank
will have been given notice - and the regulatory agencies would have
been given records of that notice.

At that point, Citibank will have to decide whether the risk of any of
those 300 million people who had the option of using FireFox and were
forced to use IE would also be vulnerable to theft or other primary
and secondary damages due to malware, and whether that damage would be
more expensive than the cost of revising the site to be FireFox
friendly.

Personally, I use Wachovia, and they are very Firefox Friendly. I've
had wonderful service from them since they merged with FirstUnion, and
I had great service with FirstUnion - who was also "standards
compliant" and supported all of the browsers since they merged with
CoreStates, which was also very "Mosaic and Netscape friendly'.

These banks have been merger targets specifically BECAUSE their IT and
internet intefaces to customers were so effective at meeting the needs
of the broadest possible range of customers, while still providing a
secure environment.

I have cancelled credit cards with companies that insisted I use IE.
I have purchased goods from competitors of companies that insisted I
use IE. I have refused to do business with companies that insist that
I use IE. And I'm not alone. Even the companies that allow their
employees to use IE often disable the ActiveX controls, or permit only
the corporate server as the only trusted CA. If a user attempts to
access anything other than PDF or Flash, it's immediately red-flagged
as an unauthorized use of the browser.

There are so many good banks who don't insist that users use only the
most expensive operating system, hardware, software, and network
access to reach their financial information. Why do business with a
company that does?

> Zalek Bloom

MuahMan

Feb 19, 2007, 1:13:56 PM2/19/07
WTF!?!! I thought everything "Just Worked" on Macs. Ad this to the list of
hundreds, yea thousands of things you can't do on your Mac...... banking.

Of course you could boot to Windows on your mac just to do your banking....
LOL on, and to do your work..... and and and and...

Clockmeister

Feb 20, 2007, 3:57:48 AM2/20/07

<Zalek...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> This is the email I sent to my repesentatives. If you'll send your
> email too, it maybe convince the US Congress/Senate to sponser this
> law, regardless of MS lobbying efforts.
>
> --------------------------------

How is it MS's fault that your browser is shit?

How about sending a message to the developers of your browser asking them to
support the site and stop trying to hold everyone else back because you want
to use a shite browser?

John Slade

Feb 20, 2007, 11:35:06 AM2/20/07

<Zalek...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> This is the email I sent to my repesentatives. If you'll send your
> email too, it maybe convince the US Congress/Senate to sponser this
> law, regardless of MS lobbying efforts.

Microsoft is not now, nor has it ever been a monopoly. At all times in
it's existence there have been other choices. No opinion from judges can
change that. The root of the word "monopoly" is "mono" which means one. It
does not mean two or three it means one and one only. That's why anyone with
a little sense knows that Microsoft is not a monopoly. Using words and
phrases to qualify they meaning of "monopoly" is the refuge of those who
competed with Microsoft and got handed their asses. Even the people who
cried about Microsoft giving away a browser probably use OS X, Unix and
Linux versions that come with free browsers.

It's really sad when people let their hatred of Bill Gates and
Microsoft take over reason.

John

Wegie

Feb 20, 2007, 11:51:49 AM2/20/07
"John Slade" <hhit...@pacbell.net> wrote:

> Microsoft is not now, nor has it ever been a monopoly. At all times in
> it's existence there have been other choices. No opinion from judges can
> change that. The root of the word "monopoly" is "mono" which means one. It
> does not mean two or three it means one and one only. That's why anyone with
> a little sense knows that Microsoft is not a monopoly. Using words and
> phrases to qualify they meaning of "monopoly" is the refuge of those who
> competed with Microsoft and got handed their asses. Even the people who
> cried about Microsoft giving away a browser probably use OS X, Unix and
> Linux versions that come with free browsers.
>
> It's really sad when people let their hatred of Bill Gates and
> Microsoft take over reason.

john, you need to learn what the word "monopoly" means. it doesn't mean
"one choice", it means "exclusive control".

"Exclusive control by one group of the means of producing or selling a
commodity or service"

http://www.answers.com/monopoly&r=67

your understanding of basic vocabulary is appalling.

--
.

John Slade

Feb 20, 2007, 6:25:27 PM2/20/07

"Wegie" <he...@northere.com> wrote in message

Wegie, the dolt who said that Serial ATA is not a standard because
Apple didn't "ratify" it, is trying to tell someone about grasping basic
concepts. Look Wegie, this is what "monopoly" means.

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?sourceid=Mozilla-search&va=monopoly

Here is what "exclusive" means.

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?sourceid=Mozilla-search&va=exclusive

I like the part where it tells you it can mean "single" or "sole".
Microsoft never had singular and sole access to the Intel platform. Anyone
who is telling you differently is lying or they don't know the meaning of
the words I just defined.

John

Peter Köhlmann

Feb 20, 2007, 6:39:16 PM2/20/07
John Slade wrote:

"Wegie" is the same dimwit who posts as "Oxford", better known as "OxRetard"
since there is no dumber poster on all of usenet
All in all, he shares a lot of traits with Snot. You could add
their "intelligence", and you still would come up with a single digit
value. And both are Mac users.

That fact alone explains their utter stupidity

OxRetard claims that Macs are "unhackable" despite the many proofs to the
contrary, and Snot thinks he is a "teacher"
--
It is very difficult to prophesy, especially when it pertains to the
future.

Zalek...@hotmail.com

Feb 20, 2007, 11:09:54 PM2/20/07

I never said it is a MS fault - this is our government fault for not
enforcing standards for browsers, wordprocessors or spreadsheets. Of
course MS profits from this situation, but the purpose of a
corporation is not to make good products - the purpose of a
corporation is to make profits for it board of directors and for other
shareholders. And this is the reason I asked you guy to write not to
Bill Gates - but to your representatives.

Zalek

Zalek...@hotmail.com

Feb 20, 2007, 11:11:46 PM2/20/07

John,

Did you notice that I wrote "de-facto monopoly"? Here is explanation
from Wikipedia:
"De facto is a Latin expression that means "in fact" or "in practice"
but not spelled out by law. It is commonly used in contrast to de jure
(which means "by law")".

De facto - it means that if I want to sure that my resume in format
.doc will be read correctly by my prospective employer, I have to
write it using MS Word (I was told this on Linux Expo). It means that
Intuit or Quick Books or other popular software are written for Win
only.
I have nothing against Bill Gates - he have legal right to lobby our
government to support outsourcing and not to enforce any non-MS
standards or procedures that will reduce his products price. It is
about our(?) representatives, not about Bill Gates.

Zalek

Sam Smith

Feb 21, 2007, 6:32:08 AM2/21/07
"Clockmeister" <whow...@andwhy.com> wrote in message

> How is it MS's fault that your browser is shit?

:))))

---
Sam

Ryan P.

Feb 21, 2007, 10:43:37 AM2/21/07
Zalek...@hotmail.com wrote:

> course MS profits from this situation, but the purpose of a
> corporation is not to make good products - the purpose of a
> corporation is to make profits for it board of directors and for other
> shareholders. And this is the reason I asked you guy to write not to

So a private corporation shouldn't be allowed to develop a product
that is too successful? You are essentially asking the government to be
in control of R&D for a quickly evolving market (computer software).
The government does NOTHING quickly.

I take that back... they QUICKLY take money the see as vulnerable from
private citizens and businesses. (Let's all hope Hillary doesn't get
her way and confiscate energy company profits... imagine what THAT will
do to gas prices!)

John Slade

Feb 23, 2007, 3:02:33 PM2/23/07

> On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 08:35:06 -0800, "John Slade"
> <hhit...@pacbell.net> wrote:
>

>><Zalek...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> This is the email I sent to my repesentatives. If you'll send your
>>> email too, it maybe convince the US Congress/Senate to sponser this
>>> law, regardless of MS lobbying efforts.
>>>

>> Microsoft is not now, nor has it ever been a monopoly. At all times in
>>it's existence there have been other choices. No opinion from judges can
>>change that. The root of the word "monopoly" is "mono" which means one. It
>>does not mean two or three it means one and one only. That's why anyone
>>with
>>a little sense knows that Microsoft is not a monopoly. Using words and
>>phrases to qualify they meaning of "monopoly" is the refuge of those who
>>competed with Microsoft and got handed their asses. Even the people who
>>cried about Microsoft giving away a browser probably use OS X, Unix and
>>Linux versions that come with free browsers.
>>
>> It's really sad when people let their hatred of Bill Gates and
>>Microsoft take over reason.
>>
>>John
>>
> John,
>
> Did you notice that I wrote "de-facto monopoly"? Here is explanation
> from Wikipedia:

<spin snippage>

I know what you meant. You qualified "monopoly". Microsoft is not, nor

has it ever been a monopoly.

John

Maverick

Feb 23, 2007, 6:40:02 PM2/23/07
John Slade wrote:

http://www.usdoj.gov/atr/cases/f3800/msjudgex.htm

Your an idiot.

John Slade

Mar 2, 2007, 11:09:19 AM3/2/07

"Maverick" <S...@ranch.org> wrote in message

I said this before, a judge or jury's opinion does not change the fact
the Microsoft isn't now nor has it ever been a monopoly.

John

Steve Carroll

Mar 3, 2007, 6:48:06 PM3/3/07
In article <P_XFh.3698$jx3....@newssvr25.news.prodigy.net>,
"John Slade" <hhit...@pacbell.net> wrote:

That's a 'Michael Glasser' argument if I've ever heard one... and it
doesn't change the fact that MS has operated with a power unseen prior
to their obtaining it.

--
"I do not KF people" - Snit
"Not only do I lie about what others are claiming,

LazarX

Jun 19, 2007, 1:32:49 PM6/19/07

I manage my Bank of America accounts, pay my Comcast, PSE&G, and Vonage
bills, as well as my Columbiahouse and NY Times subscriptions all on
my eMac. I also use it for my Desktop Publishing and image editing work.
I use my Windows machine for games.

Daniel Mandic

Jun 19, 2007, 3:35:05 PM6/19/07
LazarX wrote:

> and image editing work. I use my Windows machine for games.

That's your problem!

Why don't you tell your story to a haircutter!?

Best regards,

Daniel Mandic

John C. Randolph

Jun 19, 2007, 4:44:07 PM6/19/07
On 2007-02-19 09:15:16 -0800, Zalek...@hotmail.com said:

> This is the email I sent to my repesentatives.

Send it to citybank, and you might reach someone who actually cares.

-jcr