Connecting a MP2100 to a G4 w/OS9.0.4

Dave Wowchuk

Jul 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/24/00
Hi there.

Has anyone successfully connected a 2100 to a G4 yet? If so, I'd like to
know how you did it. I've read some of the FAQ for this NG and haven't found
the correct answer. Any help would be appreciated. Please respond by e-mail
first, then to NG. Thanks.

Dave Wowchuk
dwow...@springschurch.org

Ken Taylor

Jul 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/25/00
In article <B5A1CF40.430A%dav...@home.com>, Dave Wowchuk
<dav...@home.com> wrote:
> Has anyone successfully connected a 2100 to a G4 yet? If so, I'd like to
> know how you did it.

Umm - I assume you mean a USB G4 rather than a beige one..

In which case, I use one of two methods (one works for some tools, the
other works best for others):

1) Network - I have a Localtalk to Ethernet bridge which allows me to
see the newton via a Localtalk connector plugged into the serial dongle.
This works for Newton Connection just great ! (The other cool thing
about it is that the bridge also does KIP so I can connect to the
Internet this way as well !) - The bridge is built into a Netopia ISDN
router.

2) Serial - I have a Keyspan USB PDA adapter which then plugs into a DB9
PC<->Newton cable - this works for Newton Connection and also Leverage.

NOTE: I'm sure you could also use any of the Serial USB adapters that
have a Mini-DIN-8 connector too (and then use a Mac<->Newton cable) but
I haven't tested this myself..

NOTE 2: I'm also sure you could use an Ethernet Card in the Newton to to
the Network method and not need the bridge - I haven't tried this either.

Hope this helps

Ken Taylor
--