Anyone actually use WaveLan card with Newton?

Reindeer Flotilla

Jun 19, 2002, 1:52:11 AM6/19/02

I've seen the driver on sites to use Lucent WaveLan cards with Newtons.
Has anyone actually done this, and if so, what model of the card did
you use?

Thanks,

How

Oliver Brose

Jun 19, 2002, 2:41:10 AM6/19/02

On *sites*? The beta or the shareware? Uh-oh...

I use one of Hiroshi's betas with my 2100s and an old Lucent
Technologies Wavelan Silver, and it works well for most of the things I
need, nevertheless I will upgrade to the shareware within the next few days.
I guess you should check this groups FAQ or newtontalk.net for more
information.

Oliver :)

Reindeer Flotilla

Jun 19, 2002, 10:36:46 PM6/19/02
In article <3D102786...@gmx.net>, Oliver Brose <o.b...@gmx.net>
wrote:

> On *sites*? The beta or the shareware? Uh-oh...

I was being lazy and not quoting Hiroshi's and the Newton Cage.

> I use one of Hiroshi's betas with my 2100s and an old Lucent
> Technologies Wavelan Silver, and it works well for most of the things I
> need, nevertheless I will upgrade to the shareware within the next few days.
> I guess you should check this groups FAQ or newtontalk.net for more
> information.

I looked on several Newton F.A.Q.s and they all said that the drivers
work with "most" WaveLan cards. Well, most isn't all. I'm hesatant to
buy a random card off of eBay and hope it works.

Thanks to your reply, I'll look for a WaveLan silver.

Oliver Brose

Jun 20, 2002, 1:49:02 PM6/20/02
Reindeer Flotilla wrote:

> Thanks to your reply, I'll look for a WaveLan silver.

Or check the archive at Newtontalk.net (or... sign up on NTLK, you
should be there anyway, and post a question! ;)). I am not 100% sure
whether it also works with Orinocos, which should be easier to come by.
What I still cannot do the current driver is a full backup, it kills
both the Newton and Classic. Maybe I have to tweak some settings...

Oliver :)

none

Jun 21, 2002, 7:48:41 AM6/21/02
They are really all the same card. The geneology of the labels on the card
is something like

NCR->Wavelan->Lucent->Orinoco->Aegre and now Proxim (Proxim just bought all
of the Orinoco product line from struggling Lucent).

On 6/20/02 1:49 PM, in article 3D12158E...@gmx.net, "Oliver Brose"

Amos Barnett

Jul 12, 2002, 9:38:29 PM7/12/02

I'd like to know this too, as i Put a Silver card in my (recently
aquired) 2100 after installing the 802.11 package I got off the web (I
can't remember from where) and I get:

"There is a problem with this card. (Newton cannot recognize this type
of card.)"

Then I get a message when I try and open the 802.11 package saying that
the newton doesn't have the drivers or somesuch for the card.

Can anyone tell me what is going on?

Thanks,

Amos