Peter Liethen (Two In One Project)

juli...@hotmail.com

Feb 23, 2006, 7:13:44 PM2/23/06
Hi, I'm looking for someone by the name of Peter Liethen. He was
working on an Apple //c emulator that runs on Newton OS, and I was
wondering if he ever finished the project. You see, I need to know
because I've been thinking of getting an eMate 300 to run the emulator,
so I can have a laptop Apple //c. So, if anyone knows anything about
Peter or this project, I'd appreciate hearing from you. Thanks!

Ralph Glatt

juli...@hotmail.com

Feb 24, 2006, 6:02:10 PM2/24/06
Did some more digging, and I see I'm not the only one interested in
Peter's work. Found two other people looking for him back in 2000. In
one place I looked, there was an email address, but it bounced when I
wrote to him. Also found out he used to have a website, but this is
what I found when I went there:

New Liethen.com comming soon...

Apparently, the last update to that page was 2005.

nexus6gs

Feb 26, 2006, 5:02:08 PM2/26/06
I to have not found anything new, i have two eMates here that i would
like to try the software one. I'm working on a Apple II little project
that has me sitting infront of one of my many macs for hours at a time.
Now the battery life on my emates could have me out and about all day.
please let meknow if you digup anything.

nexus6gs

<juli...@hotmail.com> wrote:

--
2ySGg3-

juli...@hotmail.com

Feb 27, 2006, 3:35:54 PM2/27/06

nexus6gs wrote:
> I to have not found anything new, i have two eMates here that i would
> like to try the software one. I'm working on a Apple II little project
> that has me sitting infront of one of my many macs for hours at a time.
> Now the battery life on my emates could have me out and about all day.
> please let meknow if you digup anything.

Well, I did a whois on Liethen.com and came up with an email address.
Sent an email - didn't bounce, but didn't get a reply yet, either. Keep
your fingers crossed.

I tried talking to Paul Guyot, the foremost authority on Newton OS. He
never heard of Two in Hand, and said that the eMate would probably be
too slow to run an emulator. I did find a site by Stephanie Mak where
she details a way to speed up the eMate, so that might help. If I hear
anything else, I'll let you know.

Ralph Glatt

nexus6gs

Feb 28, 2006, 1:57:57 PM2/28/06
I have a small collection of Hacks for the eMate if your interested..
the speedup and adding sound in to the eMate.
I have been thinking of getting a Palm just so I don't have to lug a
Clamshell or Duo laptop around with me that really only gets 2or3 hrs
use before I'm plugging it in. Now I used my emate at work and have had
it plugged into ethernet for the 7 or so hrs of work with no need to
reach for the mains. The Battery life is very good. I have a Z88
Cambridge Laptop that only has 8 x 80 lines of text, now that battery
lasts 36hrs or so before you need to plug that in. I am thinking with
Some AA batteries up at 2500mAh the emate should now be able to get 24+
hrs with 2500mAh batteries.

Thanks for keeping of the trail of the emu. I to did a quick search and
went through all the links looking for any current address and have
found nothing, although he did do a lot with Apple.

nexus6gs

juli...@hotmail.com

Mar 1, 2006, 12:46:01 AM3/1/06
I'm only aware of a couple of hacks for the emate, most of them by
Stephanie Mak, but I'd be interested in anything else you might have.
As far as batteries go, the best I've been able to find have a 1800mAh
life. I've read about someone who replaced the batteries with Lithium
Ion batteries and managed to get it to run for days on end without
recharging, but they're a bit expensive.

Ralph Glatt

nexus6gs

Mar 1, 2006, 2:02:42 AM3/1/06
Where do I mail the info to ?
I have been using Energizer NiMH 2500mAh with a solar charger for
experiments, the batteries were $15CDN last year for 4. I now have 30+
of the 2500's I was using the emate on camping trips, I could recharge
it off the portable solar powerpack. I'm not able charge the PB Duos or
iBook with the solerpack so the eMate is my choice for camping and rough
use. tough little machine.
Using Lithuim Ion Batteries would require a different battery charger i
think, they use more power to charge, although I have used my Duo
powersupply to charge my iBook Clamshell. Output of the Duo Charger is
just a little bit less than the iBooks UFO(yoyo) charger.
i did find some interesting stuff here.
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Code/5100/newton_docs.html
nexus6gs

juli...@hotmail.com

Mar 1, 2006, 9:41:15 AM3/1/06

nexus6gs wrote:
> Where do I mail the info to ?

I would have thought you'd use the email in the headers to my posts.

julian814 at hotmail.com

> I have been using Energizer NiMH 2500mAh with a solar charger for
> experiments, the batteries were $15CDN last year for 4. I now have 30+
> of the 2500's I was using the emate on camping trips, I could recharge
> it off the portable solar powerpack. I'm not able charge the PB Duos or
> iBook with the solerpack so the eMate is my choice for camping and rough
> use. tough little machine.
> Using Lithuim Ion Batteries would require a different battery charger i
> think, they use more power to charge, although I have used my Duo
> powersupply to charge my iBook Clamshell. Output of the Duo Charger is
> just a little bit less than the iBooks UFO(yoyo) charger.
> i did find some interesting stuff here.
> http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Code/5100/newton_docs.html

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Ralph Glatt

juli...@hotmail.com

Mar 8, 2006, 11:57:46 AM3/8/06
Have you emailed the hacks for the eMate to me yet? I haven't seen
anything.

Ralph Glatt

fineousf...@gmail.com

Feb 7, 2020, 6:54:22 PM2/7/20
I know it's been about 6 years since I last posted om this subject, but I wanted to do an update. I found out that Peter Liethen has an account on LinkedIn. I'm going to try and see if he'll let me in his circle of contacts so I can ask him about Two in Hand. Keep your fingers crossed!

Ralph Glatt