Future Newtons

Adam Deutsch

Jun 8, 1994, 3:27:01 AM6/8/94

Hi all,

I am interested in buying a Newton 110, but am worried that a new uprgrade
is in the works (120?? maybe)
Does anyone have any info on teh future of this macinexxxx maching?
thanks
- Adam

Chris Athanas

Jun 8, 1994, 3:13:02 PM6/8/94
Adam Deutsch (ad...@namaste.cc.columbia.edu) wrote:

: Hi all,

This is a very old question in a very young industry!

There is always something better in the works! It will always obsolete
the current version of whatever! Do you think the auto-industry quit with
the Model T?

But... You lose the experience from using the current technology if you
wait until it's "perfect" (which it never will be, but thats another
subject entirely).

So, you must ask yourself this question... Do I want the experience, or
do I want perfection? Perfection usually takes too long, so I would go
with experience.

Chris Athanas
Xaos Tools

PV Richardson

Jun 8, 1994, 10:09:51 PM6/8/94
Adam Deutsch (ad...@namaste.cc.columbia.edu) wrote:

: Hi all,

My advise is DON'T WORRY ABOUT FUTURE STUFF. Apple (and others) will
ALWAYS be working on the next design. And it will be better and cheaper
than the one you buy now.

Buy the product that handles what you want to do NOW. When the new ones
come out, evealute if it still does what you need. If it does, wait.

If not, see if the new one does what you need. If it does, buy it.

I bought an original message pad a few months ago. The 110 is not available in
Australia yet (OR the update). HOWEVER, I have seen a 110. And I like it.
But my Original does what I need. More heap would be nice, but non of the
applications I have loaded (2meg Flash RAM) are essential, so they go.
So I figure I will keep it. (I WILL get the ROM upgrade, however).

Just my 2 cents worth (that's about <look in the conversions> US$0.01)

Philip.

Albert Nurick

Jun 8, 1994, 11:10:47 PM6/8/94
Adam Deutsch (ad...@namaste.cc.columbia.edu) wrote:
: I am interested in buying a Newton 110, but am worried that a new uprgrade

: is in the works (120?? maybe)
: Does anyone have any info on teh future of this macinexxxx maching?
: thanks

In this industry, there's always something better on the drawing board. I'd
recommend finding the solution that works well for you and buying it; one
thing it's easy to forget is that your machine doesn't become less useful
just because something new came out...

.. Albert Nurick ..
.. alb...@bga.com ..

randy hyde

Jun 9, 1994, 3:02:56 PM6/9/94

: I am interested in buying a Newton 110, but am worried that a new uprgrade
: is in the works (120?? maybe)
: Does anyone have any info on teh future of this macinexxxx maching?
: thanks
: - Adam

This is a very old question in a very young industry!

There is always something better in the works! It will always obsolete
the current version of whatever! Do you think the auto-industry quit with
the Model T?

But... You lose the experience from using the current technology if you
wait until it's "perfect" (which it never will be, but thats another
subject entirely).

So, you must ask yourself this question... Do I want the experience, or
do I want perfection? Perfection usually takes too long, so I would go
with experience.
<<<<

OTOH, there are those of us who remember the Mac 128K, the Mac 512K, and
the Mac Plus. Some of us realize that a Mac 512K doesn't quite do the
job for us and we're waiting for the Mac Plus to arrive.

While the MP110 is a little better than the MP100, there are many severe
limitations that are holding some of us back. Let me enumerate some of
them:

(1) It needs a bigger screen. Even if it doesn't fit easily in your hand
anymore.

(2) It needs communicaitons abilities (i.e., cellular).

(3) It nees more memory.

(4) It needs at least one more slot (hey, I want to be able to add memory,
a GPS card, *and* an application on PCMCIA) to the thing.

Who knows? Maybe I really need to wait for the Mac II of the Newton family.

David Sternlight

Jun 9, 1994, 5:41:49 PM6/9/94
In article <2t5tlf$i...@harbinger.cc.monash.edu.au>,

PV Richardson <pvr...@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au> wrote:
>Adam Deutsch (ad...@namaste.cc.columbia.edu) wrote:
>

>: Hi all,
>
>: I am interested in buying a Newton 110, but am worried that a new uprgrade
>: is in the works (120?? maybe)
>: Does anyone have any info on teh future of this macinexxxx maching?
>: thanks
>: - Adam
>
>My advise is DON'T WORRY ABOUT FUTURE STUFF. Apple (and others) will
>ALWAYS be working on the next design. And it will be better and cheaper
>than the one you buy now.

He wasn't asking for the standard technological innovation sermon. He was
asking if anyone knew anything about future models that might be relevant to
his present purchasing decision.

He won't take kindly to responses of the sort you made if an MP120 comes out
next week, with even more memory, a built-in modem, and the same form factor
at close to the same price. (I made those specs and the model number up--I
don't know anything about Apple's near-term plans).

David

Lon Seidman

Jun 10, 1994, 11:01:37 PM6/10/94
Apple is notorious for making a new product six months after you purchase
one of their computers :). My advice is if you like the 110, go for it.
If you need a larger writing area, wait a few months for the "full page"
model coming out shortly.

William Kearney

Jun 11, 1994, 1:04:57 PM6/11/94
Lon Seidman (l...@pnet1.pnet.com) wrote:
: Apple is notorious for making a new product six months after you purchase
: one of their computers :). My advice is if you like the 110, go for it.
: If you need a larger writing area, wait a few months for the "full page"
: model coming out shortly.

Notorious, eh? Progressive. I'd say. I wouldn't go betting on the Bic
with my money right now. Hopefully some of the other Newton licensees
will start talking.

--
| Bill Kearney | wkea...@access.digex.net | In Cyberspace, No One
| Baltimore, MD USA | 410-235-4574 | Can Hear You Scream...

This random quote brought to you by fortune:

Hurewitz's Memory Principle:
The chance of forgetting something is directly proportional
to ..... to ........ uh ..............

BigBadErik

Jul 6, 1994, 4:18:05 PM7/6/94
In article <2tb9eh$2...@pnet1.pnet.com>, l...@pnet1.pnet.com (Lon Seidman)
writes:

>>: Hi all,
>>
>>: I am interested in buying a Newton 110, but am worried that a new
uprgrade
>>: is in the works (120?? maybe)
>>: Does anyone have any info on teh future of this macinexxxx maching?
>>: thanks
>>: - Adam

>Apple is notorious for making a new product six months after you

I heard some buzz (on June '94 TidBITS) that they are actually scaling
down Newton development...so maybe not. The tablet-sized Newton ain't
looking like such a probable thing.

tsl...@mcs.drexel.edu

Jul 6, 1994, 8:20:42 PM7/6/94
: writes:

: I heard some buzz (on June '94 TidBITS) that they are actually scaling

: down Newton development...so maybe not. The tablet-sized Newton ain't
: looking like such a probable thing.

I was wondering the same thing myself. I really like the 110, but after
the ci comming out 3 months after getting a cx I'm worried about being
stung again. Even if they're not comming out with a tablet version (which I'm
not interested in) I was wondering about new rom's, etc.

I read about Apple downgrading the workforce, but are there any rumors or
releases about new machines due out soon?

Post (or email)...

Scott
tsl...@mcs.drexel.edu

--
Finger for PGP Key.

John Apfelbaum

Jul 7, 1994, 1:16:41 AM7/7/94
More rumors:

It is commonally known that Apple is trying to sell the Newton Operating
System to other manufactures. The Newton OS sure seems like a better PDA
enviroment than a layer of 80X86 BIOS, then a layer of DOS, then a layer of
GUI, then a layer of handwriting recognition, toss in some PCMCIA device
driver layers, ....etc, etc.. (Did I mention I.R. support ?)

At any rate, the Point is that I heard that Toshiba, Motorola, and perhaps
others are very near making anouncements about products based on Newton
technology. (I'm talking PDA products, not cable boxes, etc.).

Ref: Pen Computing Issue #1 Aug 1994 pp. 18, 19 - Nigel Ballard
(and other rumors)

I Think we'll see a tablet Newt sometime soon, but I don't think it will
have an Apple logo on it (At least not on the front).

I have my credit card ready !

--
John Apfelbaum - john...@eworld.com
NASA - Kennedy Space Center - Space Shuttle Orbiter Instrumentation

Newton := Moped on the Infobahn.
Corvair drivers := Unsafe on any Net ('65 Corsa Turbo Coupe)

The opinions and views expressed here do not represent those of NASA
or the U.S. Government.

Alernate e-mail: john...@aol.com john-ap...@ksc.nasa.gov

Nigel Ballard

Jul 7, 1994, 8:20:38 AM7/7/94

>Ref: Pen Computing Issue #1 Aug 1994 pp. 18, 19 - Nigel Ballard
>(and other rumors)

Afternoon John

How did you find issue#1?

Issue two is well underway and will include lot's of new stuff like the
HP OmniShare etc.

Cheers Nigel

* Nigel Ballard | INT: ni...@dataman.demon.co.uk | I'M PINK *
* Bournemouth | CIS: 100015,2644 AOL: Pelham123 | THEREFORE *
* U.K. | Pen Computing Magazine | I'M SPAM *

John Apfelbaum

Jul 7, 1994, 5:09:38 PM7/7/94
In article <773583...@dataman.demon.co.uk>, Ni...@dataman.demon.co.uk
(Nigel Ballard) wrote:

> Afternoon John
>
> How did you find issue#1?
>
> Issue two is well underway and will include lot's of new stuff like the
> HP OmniShare etc.
>
> Cheers Nigel

I guess you are looking for a plug for Pen Computing, so I'll post here
rather than E-Mail... Here's your plug:

I liked the magazine alot. -- *Very* informative (after all, I quoted it
didn't I :-) ) I consider myself a fairly well informed PDA nerd, but
there was *alot* in the magazine I did not know.

I guess PDA's are mainsteam now (our own magazines and all) -- Darn, its'
getting difficult (and expensive) to be a techno-junkie !

KP2 KP2

Dec 17, 2023, 8:45:40 PM12/17/23