Newton MessagePad 120 - OS 1.3 and 2.0

Rubens da Silva

Mar 7, 2015, 4:38:26 AM3/7/15
Is there any way to tell what version of the NOS (1.3 or 2.0) is on an MP120 from the outside of the device? Do they both have the model number H0131 on the back? What about the boxes that they shipped with? Or is the only way to go into the software and look it up?

Helmut Fischer

Mar 7, 2015, 1:16:47 PM3/7/15
Decades ago, I upgraded a MP120 from NOS 1.3 to 2.0 using parts from a
MP120 with a broken display. I remember that I exchanged the ROM chip (I
still have the old NOS 1.3 ROM!) and the flip cover. I am not totally
sure, but I think the text printed on the inner side of the cover was
different.

I don't have any of these devices or parts (except for the ROM), so I
can't compare now. My MP130 has ten fields of help text, each with a
symbol at the left and one to four lines of text at the right, in the
cover.

HTH, Helmut