Release hidden MBs in Newton compat. FlashRAM cards

Carsten Lemmen

Apr 1, 2001, 4:10:59 AM4/1/01
Today, I inserted an 8MB intel Series II FlashRAM card into my Newton
2100 with Prefs window open (to erease it). But, by mistake, I had the
write protect switch in the on position (the tiny switch at the top
small side of the card).
I got a dialog box I have never seen before:
(translated from German)

There is an unused partition of memory in this card:
(o) activate all available memory
(o) activate nominal memory

[cancel] [erease]

Of course I decided to activate all memory, and after confiming to
erease all, I got 10Mb out of the 8MB card. I tried to copy more than
8MB to make sure it actually work and indeed, I could fill up to 9.6 MB.
Next I tried an Newton brand 4MB card (these cards were actually
manufactured by intel) the same way, and voila, 10MB.
I visited a friend who own a 16MB, tried the same and guess what - I
could activate a full 20MB of RAM.

Now I searched in my collection of intel FlashRAM PC-Cards Technical
Notes (I burnt them on CD for future reference, but didn't really read
them) and I found this information (I don't have the info on hand while
writing this post, so it's not a quote):

In order to reduce manufacturing costs by using higher density flash RAM
chips we only produced 10MB and 20MB Series II beginning 26 week in
1997. Because of long term contracts with OEM customers we only
activated the nominal MB. That means that 2MB, 4MB, and 8MB cards are
actually partly avtivated 10MB cards, while 12MB and 16MB cards are
equipped with 20MB of RAM. You can reformat the cards with intel linear
Flash RAM utilities.

Intel sold it's linear flash RAM business to centennial in 1999, there
aren't any linear Flash RAM technical note still online, so I can't give
a link - sorry.

Best regards,

Carsten
--
Newton SIG im MAC e.V.: http://www.mac-ev.de/sig/newton

Florian Schulte

Apr 3, 2001, 7:43:06 AM4/3/01
Carsten Lemmen <YS...@web.de> wrote:

> Today

;-)

Jerry Tom

Apr 11, 2001, 7:24:58 AM4/11/01
Carsten,
This is really great! I've tried to use the same method but cannot get
this dialog box giving the option to activate all memory. Is there a
trick to this? I'm using the 4MB Newton card and 16MB Pretec...
Cheers,
Jerry

On Sun, 1 Apr 2001 10:10:59 +0200, YS...@web.de (Carsten Lemmen)

Victor Rehorst

Apr 11, 2001, 12:27:09 PM4/11/01
Once upon a time, Jerry Tom <jerryt...@hotmail.com> scribbled:

>Carsten,
>This is really great! I've tried to use the same method but cannot get
>this dialog box giving the option to activate all memory. Is there a
>trick to this? I'm using the 4MB Newton card and 16MB Pretec...
>Cheers,
>Jerry

Jerry, maybe yo ushould check the date of Carsten's original post (hint
hint)

------Victor Rehorst -- vic...@eddie.cis.uoguelph.ca | ch...@chuma.org------
------Chairperson. College of Arts Student Union, University of Guelph------
---- Webmaster, United Network of Newton Archives: http://www.unna.org ----
-------------- Homepage and Newton Stuff: http://www.chuma.org -------------

Oliver Brose

Apr 11, 2001, 2:26:46 PM4/11/01
Im Beitrag <pV0B6.6078$_U.98...@typhoon.tampabay.rr.com> , Enough
<eno...@idontcare.com> schrieb:

> QUIET! When you got one on the hook, don't let him get away.

I was hooked too, 10 days ago, and it took me half a day to figure out the
function.
I felt pretty stupid afterwards...

Oliver ;)

--
PRINZESSIN MONONOKE AB 19.4. IM KINO!

Carsten Lemmen

Apr 11, 2001, 3:17:40 PM4/11/01
Jerry Tom <jerryt...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> This is really great! I've tried to use the same method but cannot get
> this dialog box giving the option to activate all memory. Is there a
> trick to this?

Yes there is a trick. You have to reset the date to April, 1st, the day
I wrote that posting. It won't work on other days ;-)

Jerry Tom

Apr 12, 2001, 8:11:18 AM4/12/01
Well Carsten, I fell for that one BIG TIME!