What is Neat3?

Carter B. Bennett

May 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/25/98

I have just been shifted to a different department at my company because of a
programmer quiting. I am a beginning PC Database programmer, now I will work
on the mainframe, programming in something called Neat3.

Can someone please tell me what I've steped into. And why can't I find
anything on the internet about it, not even on the NCR site.

Carter B. Bennett
Little House Computer Services
http://www.fastlane.net/~lhcs
lh...@fastlane.net

You may be able to kill two birds with one stone, but in
the end, all you really have are two dead birds, and your
short one stone.

John LaBrecque

May 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/25/98
to Carter B. Bennett

The next thing you're going to say is that the mainframe is an NCR 315,
right? ;) You might try alt.computer.consultants for some old NCR O/S
people. Also, if you have a Compuserve account do a GO CONSULT.

--
Semper Fi

Jack L
http://members.aol.com/jitb/stand.htm
CIS-[GO ATTNCR]
"When my son Marc graduates from Marine Corps Recruit
Training in June, I'll be there to tell him -
Semper Fi Marine. Welcome to the Brotherhood."

Rick Lugg

May 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/28/98

NEAT/3 is a multilevel language targetted at the Century and then Criterion
range of mainframes from NCR.

The /3 is supposed to refer to the fact that there were the upper level (1)
which was COBOL like in power but needed less pencil lead to get programs
written as the data definitions were done in a tabbed worksheet. Level 2 was
a near assembler level that allowed bypassing some of the O/S and language
protections that were designed to keep the unwary from blowing things up too
often. Level 3 was really a way to get machine code into a program and our
"standards" manual (written by one of "us") said "Don't use Level 3 or your
nose will fall off"

Rick Lugg (ex-NCR, UK, Netherlands, Canada, South Africa)
Telkom South Africa

James Gustafson

May 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/28/98

I've worked with NEAT/3, NEAT/C, NEATVS and NEATVE for 19 years.
I still do some work with NEAT as my company specializes in migrating users
off
NCR mainframes to open systems.

If you have questions... I can help.

Jim Gustafson
Sr. Consultant
EasiRun USA (Formerly Compsoft)

nemesis

May 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/29/98

>What have I stepped into?
Something that is extremely career damaging!
Find your useless overhead (manager) and shift back to PCs.
If not shifted back, prepare and mass distribute your resume.

NEAT/3 was NCR's proprietary pseudo assembler language for
their VRX & VRX/E mainframes. I'm not sure but it could have
been used for their IRX & ITX mainframes also. This is software
archeology as its worst! Its like communicating using "sand script";
time has long pasted it by!

Either way - their isn't any demand for "NEAT" developers.

VRX, VRX/E, IRX, and ITX sales were discontinued when their
NCR 3xxx family was introduced (early - mid 90s). ITX was
migrated through their "Galaxy" product. VRX/E had a marketing
strategy (e.g. I could not take my VRX/E SCL script and
execute it on an NCR Unix box).

Last I knew - NCR had a small VRX support group in their San Diego
(Rancho Bernardo) Global Support Center (GSC). If you've bought NCR
maintenance contract - they should help you. You can probably buy NEAT
documentation from their Dayton publications operation (if no docs are
available).

Hopefully this helps - your time is better spent developing a
migration strategy to eliminate this dinosaur. NCR started
de-populating their VRX development group in 3Q90. Thats
why you're not finding any "NEAT" info. Its DEAD!

If you're not successful I could probably put you in contact with a
pack rat or two. Good Luck!

Steve Hummel

May 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/29/98

Ah, memories - my first computer programming job on a Century 50! 16K
memory, self-modifying object code, trying to scrounge a byte here and there
to avoid those performance-robbing program overlays. (Performance being a
relative term here....)

I think the "/3" alludes to the fact that there were a couple of previous
generations of NEAT, one of which I think was used to program NCR accounting
machines. NEAT/3 Level 1 was a "macro" assembler; Levels 2 & 3 let you
twiddle the bits to your heart's content, creating programs that were
largely unmaintainable by anyone but the author - good job security there.
;-)

I don't know about noses falling off, but I was told once that by using
Level 3 you could physically damage the hardware if you weren't careful.

$64 Question: What did the acronym NEAT stand for? An associate here
suggests NCR Extended Address Translation Language, but that doesn't sound
quite right.

steve hummel
NCR Parallel Systems San Diego
----------------
Rick Lugg wrote in message <6kju3m$2iv$1...@news2.saix.net>...

>NEAT/3 is a multilevel language targetted at the Century and then Criterion
>range of mainframes from NCR.
>
>The /3 is supposed to refer to the fact that there were the upper level (1)
>which was COBOL like in power but needed less pencil lead to get programs
>written as the data definitions were done in a tabbed worksheet. Level 2
was
>a near assembler level that allowed bypassing some of the O/S and language
>protections that were designed to keep the unwary from blowing things up
too
>often. Level 3 was really a way to get machine code into a program and our
>"standards" manual (written by one of "us") said "Don't use Level 3 or your
>nose will fall off"
>
>Rick Lugg (ex-NCR, UK, Netherlands, Canada, South Africa)
>Telkom South Africa

Bill Huffman

May 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/29/98

In article <6kne2t$f...@rap.SanDiegoCA.NCR.COM>,

Steve Hummel <steve....@sandiegoca.ncr.com> wrote:
>Ah, memories - my first computer programming job on a Century 50! 16K
>memory, self-modifying object code, trying to scrounge a byte here and there
>to avoid those performance-robbing program overlays. (Performance being a
>relative term here....)
>
>I think the "/3" alludes to the fact that there were a couple of previous
>generations of NEAT, one of which I think was used to program NCR accounting
>machines. NEAT/3 Level 1 was a "macro" assembler; Levels 2 & 3 let you
>twiddle the bits to your heart's content, creating programs that were
>largely unmaintainable by anyone but the author - good job security there.
>;-)
>
>I don't know about noses falling off, but I was told once that by using
>Level 3 you could physically damage the hardware if you weren't careful.
>
>$64 Question: What did the acronym NEAT stand for? An associate here
>suggests NCR Extended Address Translation Language, but that doesn't sound
>quite right.
>
>steve hummel
>NCR Parallel Systems San Diego

Okay everyone, Steve's evil inclinations have now been made obvious
to everyone! The evil must be stopped before it spreads! Does anyone
have a mallet and wooden stake? :-)

P.S. To answer a previous question in this thread, no the evil NEAT/3
was never able to infiltrate into the I-systems.

John LaBrecque

May 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/30/98

All this talk about older NCR systems makes me sad that I took that IDPS
8150 system and 8200 IMOS system to the dump a few years back!

nemesis

May 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/30/98

>> NEAT is "NCR Extended Address Translation"

From John Evan's VRX Training for New Hires - "Near English Address
Translation". John conducted a series of classes to familarize newly hired
software developers into the VRX engineering group @ the old RB factory.

EJ

May 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/30/98

John LaBrecque wrote:

> All this talk about older NCR systems makes me sad that I took that IDPS
> 8150 system and 8200 IMOS system to the dump a few years back!
_____________________________________

Gee... I used to work on IDPS a long time ago.
...almost forgot about that.

EJ

nemesis

May 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/30/98

> 8150 to the dump a FEW years back!
My old man replaced his 8150 w/ a PC6 in 1986 - and they're still using it.
As a door stop these days, but its still in use.

John LaBrecque

May 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/31/98

nemesis wrote:

> > 8150 to the dump a FEW years back!
> My old man replaced his 8150 w/ a PC6 in 1986 - and they're still using it.
> As a door stop these days, but its still in use.

At one point I had an IDPS 8150 with a 4501 printer running in my
garage. It was given to me by a plumbing supply company that went to an
IBM system. At the same time, I had two NCR PC6's and a NCR PC8 that I
had puchased with "Front Runner" points. Anyone remember those? I
ended up selling the PC6's after my wife used them for a number of years
in her law office. I used the PC8 cabinet and power supply for a number
of home brew upgrades over the years. In fact, the system I'm on right
now is the same box! It's been a PC8/286, a PC925/386, a 486 and a
pentium. The 8150 resides somewhere in a Southern Connecticut landfill.

John LaBrecque

May 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/31/98
to joh...@sprynet.com

EJ wrote:

> John LaBrecque wrote:
> >
> > All this talk about older NCR systems makes me sad that I took that IDPS
> > 8150 system and 8200 IMOS system to the dump a few years back!
> _____________________________________
>
> Gee... I used to work on IDPS a long time ago.
> ...almost forgot about that.
>
> EJ

At one point, as a NCR serviceman/Technical Service Representative/Field
Engineer, 60% of my workload was IDPS 8150's, 8140's and 8130's. We had
a salesman, Vern Tate, that did wonders selling 8100 systems. He had
taken NCR's Cobol 74 course and wrote his own packages to install on
8100's that he sold. My biggest 8100 was an 8150 at A-Squared in
Torrington, CT. It had two Falcon's, a Hawk, four screens and two 6440
printers. It was a bigger system than many of the IMOS systems I worked
on!

Brian Duane

Jun 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/1/98

Steve Hummel wrote:

> $64 Question: What did the acronym NEAT stand for? An associate here
> suggests NCR Extended Address Translation Language, but that doesn't sound
> quite right.

Ncr's Electronic Autocoding Technique

Lots of versions
NEAT/AM Accounting Machines
NEAT/2 NCR 315
NEAT/3 Century, Criterion
NEAT/C and NEAT/VS VRX systems

NEAT/3 was coded in three levels
level 1 Macro level language almost like COBOL
level 2 Code hardware commands
level 3 Write you own executives (B1, B2, B3, B4)

--
Brian Duane | brian...@australia.ncr.com
Learning Services Network | +61 2 9964 8480

Rick Lugg

Jun 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/1/98

Brian Duane wrote in message <3571D9...@australia.ncr.NOJUNK.com>...

>Steve Hummel wrote:
>>
>> $64 Question: What did the acronym NEAT stand for? An associate here
>> suggests NCR Extended Address Translation Language, but that doesn't
sound
>> quite right.
>>

>Ncr's Electronic Autocoding Technique
>
>Lots of versions
>NEAT/AM Accounting Machines
>NEAT/2 NCR 315
>NEAT/3 Century, Criterion
>NEAT/C and NEAT/VS VRX systems
>
>NEAT/3 was coded in three levels
> level 1 Macro level language almost like COBOL
> level 2 Code hardware commands
> level 3 Write you own executives (B1, B2, B3, B4)

The manual I first saw (315) said National Electronic Autocode Technique, as
the acronym NCR was still little used. The company at that time being known
as "the Cash", "National Cash" or just "National".

I don't recall NEAT/2 ever being used for the 315. The "/" only came in with
NEAT/3 and the Century.

In the UK we used to sell Elliott Automation computers for smaller
businesses that couldn't afford the 315 (even assembled at Elliott's
Borehamwood factory, the 315 was pricey). NCR UK built a series of operating
systems for the Elliott 4100 series (24 bit word; 8K base main memory) and
created an assembler/compiler for it using what was called NEAT 4100.

There was in Interface Matching Unit to connect NCR peripherals (printer,
tape drives, 2000 cpm punched card reader etc.) though some Elliott
Automation peripherals also were used.

When Elliott's started on a bigger system, the NCR developers produced a
multi-programming executive for the family which was quite fun to test!
Loads of tiny little paper tapes of mini-programs that were all that could
run until the 32K memory was available.

Then ICL spoilt the fun and bought Elliott and NCR was getting ready for the
Century. I seem to remember customers like Ove Arup, Ministry of Defence
Faslane (maybe we're still not supposed to talk about that one!)

Sorry to stretch the subject somewhat, but it is fun to remember!

Rick Lugg

James Dell

Jun 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/1/98

Rick Lugg wrote:

I still have my 315 manuals. Haven't check them lately, but I think it was only
NEAT then. A four CRAM sort kinda reminds me of some of this modern music;-)

--
Take the x out of my e-mail address if you need to reply to me

Rick Lugg

Jun 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/1/98

James Dell wrote in message <3572963F...@DaytonxOH.NCR.COM>...

<<snip>>

> I still have my 315 manuals. Haven't check them lately, but I think it was
only
>NEAT then. A four CRAM sort kinda reminds me of some of this modern
music;-)

Ah CRAM, the merry screech of a double drop !!

I did hear the acronym decoded as "Chaos Reaches All-time Magnitude"

Rick Lugg

guy geiger

Jun 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/1/98

if you included the compiler control command

7 18 24
C use >exec.level3

something like that ...

it enables the ability to code the inout command as

C inout paf,cwloc

or

C H70 paf,cwloc *peripheral address field and control
*control word location CW0 = 1024 and
* each was 8 bytes long => status,na,ta
* status =1 na =3 ta = 2 (yielding a Y2K
* like scenario for disk > 64K)

with this command you could write (destroy) and mag media

you sould also code it as

C HF0 paf *using command level chaining having set up the
*cwloc addr on the previous command

front end that command with a repeat and via the repeat counter at loc
32 (hex 20) you could skip or not skip the inout ... as i recall

Steve Hummel wrote:

> Ah, memories - my first computer programming job on a Century 50! 16K
> memory, self-modifying object code, trying to scrounge a byte here and there
> to avoid those performance-robbing program overlays. (Performance being a
> relative term here....)
>
> I think the "/3" alludes to the fact that there were a couple of previous
> generations of NEAT, one of which I think was used to program NCR accounting
> machines. NEAT/3 Level 1 was a "macro" assembler; Levels 2 & 3 let you
> twiddle the bits to your heart's content, creating programs that were
> largely unmaintainable by anyone but the author - good job security there.
> ;-)
>
> I don't know about noses falling off, but I was told once that by using
> Level 3 you could physically damage the hardware if you weren't careful.
>

> $64 Question: What did the acronym NEAT stand for? An associate here
> suggests NCR Extended Address Translation Language, but that doesn't sound
> quite right.
>

> steve hummel
> NCR Parallel Systems San Diego

Richard O'Neill

Jun 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/1/98

My memory is a little hazy on this but how about "Near English Autocoding
Technique" ?

Dick

Steve Hummel <steve....@sandiegoca.ncr.com> wrote in article
<6kne2t$f...@rap.SanDiegoCA.NCR.COM>...

Sandra Coopmans

Jun 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/4/98

If memory serves me right:
NEAT = 'Near English Automatic Translation'
/3= don't remember
Level 3= was not related to /3, but was meant for guru's only (there
weren't too many of them around and I certainly wasn't one of them...)

Sandra Coopmans
NCR Belgium

James Dell

Jun 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/4/98

I think the 3 stood for 3rd generation. 304 (joint venture with GE I think),
315 with NEAT and then the Century with NEAT/3

Too bad we didn't save that name for the turn of the century.

Jim

Sandra Coopmans wrote:

John LaBrecque

Jun 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/5/98
to James Dell

James Dell wrote:

> I think the 3 stood for 3rd generation. 304 (joint venture with GE I think),
> 315 with NEAT and then the Century with NEAT/3
>
> Too bad we didn't save that name for the turn of the century.

Maybe NCR can call the next release of systems the CENTURY 2000 line.
(^_^)

Clifford A. Brown

Jun 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/5/98

John LaBrecque wrote:

> James Dell wrote:
> >
> > I think the 3 stood for 3rd generation. 304 (joint venture with GE I think),
> > 315 with NEAT and then the Century with NEAT/3
> >
> > Too bad we didn't save that name for the turn of the century.
> >
> Maybe NCR can call the next release of systems the CENTURY 2000 line.
> (^_^)

Which would be kind of appropriate since the 2xxx numbers have
traditionally been the cash register line and at the rate things are
going around here that will probably be all that is left.

Peter White

Jun 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/15/98

AAh Yes!. We also had CRAM on the 4100.... We had the fittest operators in
the business... Able to hurdle mag tape units in a single bound and reach
the CRAM unit Off button in 0.4 seconds from a standing start.

Pete White

NCR Scotland

Peter White

Jun 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/15/98

Rick Lugg wrote in message <6ktu6v$1t8$1...@news2.saix.net>...

>Brian Duane wrote in message <3571D9...@australia.ncr.NOJUNK.com>...
>>Steve Hummel wrote:
>>>

>>> $64 Question: What did the acronym NEAT stand for? An associate here
>>> suggests NCR Extended Address Translation Language, but that doesn't
>sound
>>> quite right.

Oh Memories!.

I was one of the original Software developers for the 4100. I still have my
little pocket reference manual in a lovely pink cover. Rick is correct, the
"N" stood for National. (How you doing Rick?.).

The customer I remember most vividly was PIDA. Pig Industry Development
Association. The Computer Room was literally in the middle of a Pig Farm.
Open the Door and ....... Ripe.

Pete White

Rick Lugg

Jun 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/15/98

Peter White wrote in message ...

Good grief, PIDA I certainly remember visiting there, driving through the
"dip" etc. If we'd gone in my mini, I think it would've sunk.

I also recall McCready's Metal in north London. I was assigned there in
circumstances remarkably akin to a goon show.

Obergruppenfuhrer Dawkins: Rickety, how long have you been with us?
Me: About 20 days
OFD: what a splendid record of devotion and honesty. We're putting you in
charge of McCready's Metal.
Me: Do they have any gold?
OFD: no otherwise I'd be in charge of it.

--
Rick Lugg

John LaBrecque

Jun 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/15/98

I remember the "CRAM" room at a local bank. Right by the door was a
rack with shooter's ear protectors and a sign warning people to put on a
pair before entering the room!

James Dell

Jun 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/15/98

Rick Lugg wrote:

> Peter White wrote in message ...
> >
> >Rick Lugg wrote in message <6ktu6v$1t8$1...@news2.saix.net>...

> >>sound

snip

Looks like we got a few history buffs in the group. So here's some more for
you:
OPURCARE
GAC
SPUR

Jim

Buzz Bonnett

Jun 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/18/98

On Thu, 18 Jun 1998 08:39:41 -0400, James Dell <James...@DaytonxOH.NCR.COM> wrote:
>Steve,
>If you remember right, the Century 100 came out first, then the reduced cost and
>performance version the Century 50 came out.
>
>Jim

Reduced cost and performance?! Good grief! And I thought the Century
100 was the slowest thing I'd ever dealt with when it was running the
605 GPMC Cross-assembler! EXEC-I was a breath of fresh air when I
was finally able to get it up and running on a M05 (as in, M05-01-STD)
that I had tucked away in the back of the lab.

Remember the M05's derivitives? 399/499, 725, 625, 721, etc.

--Buzz (rememberances of 22 years ago when I worked on Primary and
Secondary In House and Common Carrier SDLC drivers and
Class Managers for TCOS, IMOS, RTPS and CTME)
--
Buzz Bonnett WORK e-mail: buzz.b...@ColumbiaSC.NCR.COM
NCR Corporation PERSONAL e-mail: bu...@conterra.com

James Dell

Jun 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/18/98

Buzz Bonnett wrote:

Buzz,
Didn't the 8130 & 8150 also use it?

Steve Hummel

Jun 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/18/98

Right - I didn't mean to imply I was older than YOU, Jim :-) When we got
our 50, both local banks already had 100's. In fairly rapid order, my
company went C50, C101, C151, 8450(B3/IRX), & then on up thru the ITX 9000
family before I joined NCR in '87.

oh - trkfix - track fix: "how'd that bad data get out there? Oh never
mind, gimme the hex dump - this'll fix it!"

Not for the timid....

James Dell wrote in message <35890A8D...@DaytonxOH.NCR.COM>...

>Steve,
>If you remember right, the Century 100 came out first, then the reduced
cost and
>performance version the Century 50 came out.
>
>Jim
>

>Steve Hummel wrote:
>
>> Well, not to brag about my age, but my FIRST use of these routines was on
>> Century 50. The 8450 was my exit from B-series to IRX.... ;-)
>>
>> James Dell wrote in message <35865C1F...@DaytonxOH.NCR.COM>...
>> >Steve,
>> >You must be real young to have used a 8450 I used those utilities on a
>> Century
>> >100.
>> >
>> >Here's another one for you:
>> >TRKFIX
>> >
>> >Also what's do these hex op codes do
>> >64
>> >54
>> >65
>> >56
>> >

>> >Jim

>> it

Rick Lugg

Jun 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/19/98

James Dell wrote in message <35894F2C...@DaytonxOH.NCR.COM>...

>Buzz Bonnett wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 18 Jun 1998 08:39:41 -0400, James Dell
<James...@DaytonxOH.NCR.COM> wrote:

>> >Steve,
>> >If you remember right, the Century 100 came out first, then the reduced
cost and
>> >performance version the Century 50 came out.
>> >
>> >Jim
>> >

>> Reduced cost and performance?! Good grief! And I thought the Century
>> 100 was the slowest thing I'd ever dealt with when it was running the
>> 605 GPMC Cross-assembler! EXEC-I was a breath of fresh air when I
>> was finally able to get it up and running on a M05 (as in,
M05-01-STD)
>> that I had tucked away in the back of the lab.
>>
>> Remember the M05's derivitives? 399/499, 725, 625, 721, etc.
>>
>> --Buzz (rememberances of 22 years ago when I worked on Primary and
>> Secondary In House and Common Carrier SDLC drivers and
>> Class Managers for TCOS, IMOS, RTPS and CTME)
>> --
>> Buzz Bonnett WORK e-mail: buzz.b...@ColumbiaSC.NCR.COM
>> NCR Corporation PERSONAL e-mail: bu...@conterra.com
>> 3325 Platt Springs Rd. fax: 1 803 939 7317 (V+ 632-7317)
>> W. Columbia,SC 29170-2203 phone: 1 803 939 6982 (V+ 632-6982)
>
> Buzz,
>Didn't the 8130 & 8150 also use it?
>
>Jim

I don't think so Jim, I think the 8130 and 8150 were Intel chips running the
"Five" executive onto which an IMOS virtual machine was grafted as ITX. You
may have meant the 82xx which used the M05 processor.

We used the M05 processor in a Remote Multiplexor product (754 from
Utrecht - predominantly European banks like Societe Generale and Union Bank
of Switzerland were the customers) and as the Retail Store Level Controller
(725) pretty much World-wide. Then we used it as the Cluster Concentrator
for the 7750 Item Processing System from Waterloo running a combination of
the SLC modules and some custom crafted cheque processing stuff locally
created. We had the luxury of Century 200 and subsequently Criterion
systems for cross compiling. Then I think we moved to using Exec-1 in
Waterloo.

As for the Century 50, my recollection was that the _price_ was reduced, but
not the cost, as the only difference was a jumper that slowed the clock
speed a bit !!!!!!!

Ah - nostalgia, it ain't what it used to be
--
Rick Lugg

James Dell

Jun 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/19/98

Steve,
BHI Chaining error

Jim

Steve Hummel wrote:

> Right - I didn't mean to imply I was older than YOU, Jim :-) When we got
> our 50, both local banks already had 100's. In fairly rapid order, my
> company went C50, C101, C151, 8450(B3/IRX), & then on up thru the ITX 9000
> family before I joined NCR in '87.
>
> oh - trkfix - track fix: "how'd that bad data get out there? Oh never
> mind, gimme the hex dump - this'll fix it!"
>
> Not for the timid....
>

> James Dell wrote in message <35890A8D...@DaytonxOH.NCR.COM>...

> >Steve,
> >If you remember right, the Century 100 came out first, then the reduced
> cost and
> >performance version the Century 50 came out.
> >
> >Jim

John LaBrecque

Jun 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/20/98

Rick Lugg wrote:

> James Dell wrote in message <35894F2C...@DaytonxOH.NCR.COM>...
> >

> >Buzz Bonnett wrote:

> cost and

The 8130/8140/8150 ran IDPS which was an Intel version of IMOS and used
many of the same Cobol 74 apps that IMOS systems had. Many of the IMOS
3/5 apps could be recompiled to run on a 8100 system.

Rick Lugg

Jun 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/21/98

John LaBrecque wrote in message <6mh0gf$8...@bgtnsc02.worldnet.att.net>...

Yes, thanks for the correction Jack. I got the wrong name for the 81xx
operating system. I think the ITX operating system was another invocation
of IMOS which ran on the 85xx after the 84xx version called IRX.

I was always impressed by that (IDPS, IMOS, IRX, ITX) system that had a very
wide range of processor powers available to it, yet all could run the same
programs - I'm not even sure whether recompiling was necessary. Didn't the
systems use a virtual machine to interpret the "object pseudo code"?
--
Rick Lugg

Steve Hummel

Jun 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/23/98

Rick Lugg wrote in message <6mio26$lg2$1...@news2.saix.net>...

[snip]

>Yes, thanks for the correction Jack. I got the wrong name for the 81xx
>operating system. I think the ITX operating system was another invocation
>of IMOS which ran on the 85xx after the 84xx version called IRX.

Almost right, Rick, but ITX didn't come out until the introduction of the
32-bit 9300 (1983?) The IRX version of the 8500 was the 9050 (same box,
different firmware), which was succeeded by the 9500 (dyadic 32-bit) & then
the System 10000 models.

>I was always impressed by that (IDPS, IMOS, IRX, ITX) system that had a
very
>wide range of processor powers available to it, yet all could run the same
>programs - I'm not even sure whether recompiling was necessary. Didn't the
>systems use a virtual machine to interpret the "object pseudo code"?

Right - the original COBOL compilers generated "POPS" code which could be
run on different machines - although the later release of a true object-code
compiler demonstrated just how inefficient POPS was. As a customer at the
time, though, I really appreciated the ability to move up the I-Series
product line without having to do a lot of work. (Getting there from a
B-series environment was a different story, but then *that* wasn't a
"recommended" migration path!)
>--
>Rick Lugg

Bill Huffman

Jun 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/23/98

In article <6mp8a4$h...@rap.SanDiegoCA.NCR.COM>,

That's all true. In addition as Steve knows, you could even take your
RPOPS object and run it on Unix using Galaxy.

Steve Hummel

Jun 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/25/98

Bill Huffman wrote in message <6mpj9f$k...@si611.SanDiegoCA.NCR.COM>...

>That's all true. In addition as Steve knows, you could even take your
>RPOPS object and run it on Unix using Galaxy.

Yep - thanks to a lot of good development work on the part of Bill & others;
I've been told it was (is) easier to move from ITX to Intel UNIX than it is
from a UNIX Tower!