MSX computers in USA

Andrea

Mar 9, 2006, 5:48:03 AM3/9/06
Hello,
I've read that MSX computer were not distributed in the US except for an
early Spectravideo model...I was wondering why nobody tried to sell them
in such an important market for computers, surely the biggest and most
important in the 80s.
MSXes were sold almost all over the world, it's so strange that they
were not sold in the US market. The only reason that comes to my mind is
Bill Gates and MS.
MS developed MSX DOS that is very similar to early MS-DOS. Since MSX
machines were low cost (maybe also probably low profit) and home market
oriented, I suppose that selling them in the US probably would have
caused a lot of losses both to MS and IBM in the business computers
market. Probably computer history would have been totally different...
So since MS developed the OS they obtained that the MSX standard was to
be kept outside US.
This is my explaination, if anyone has ideas or knows the thuth....

Regards
Andrea

--
http://myretrocomputing.altervista.org/

Anne de Raad

Mar 9, 2006, 12:39:44 PM3/9/06
Idd, my thoughts. Bill Gates saw that MSX could become a threat to the IBM
MS DOS market and therefore......Abandoned the system. It's truly an
interesting part of computing history :)

"Andrea" <mye...@fattimi.ei> wrote in message

T.

Mar 17, 2006, 9:38:19 PM3/17/06
Actually, I have a Yamaha CX5MII/128 which is a North America (Canada/US)
version, and is a fully compatible MSX computer. They were mostly marketed
as music computers, but do carry the MSX label.

Dirk

Jan 4, 2012, 11:59:15 PM1/4/12
I also have a Yamaha CX5MII/128 which I upgraded the ROM's to MSX2.. I have a hard drive and a CD drive attached to it with the Sunrise ATA IDE interface.. Used it to compile some Z80 code but sits idle now.

repa...@live.com

Dec 1, 2014, 10:27:40 PM12/1/14
On Wednesday, January 4, 2012 11:59:15 PM UTC-5, Dirk wrote:
> I also have a Yamaha CX5MII/128 which I upgraded the ROM's to MSX2.. I have a hard drive and a CD drive attached to it with the Sunrise ATA IDE interface.. Used it to compile some Z80 code but sits idle now.

Dirk, which rom did you used ?
Just got one CX5MII/128 today, already installed new ram chips, but I couldn't find a compatible 2.0 NTSC rom.
Any help would be appreciated