Retrocomputing

1 view

John

Jul 19, 2023, 4:51:30 PM7/19/23
Anybody ever notice that the structure of comp.sys is basically ready
laid for retrocomputing discussion? More or less everything that was
current back when the hierarchy was defined is now a historical
artifact.

john

bozo user

Jul 21, 2023, 6:40:37 PM7/21/23
Ironically, accesing FIDO and DOVEnet thru nntp, cvs.synchro.net:119
gives you actual discussions on modern themes (also, talks over
retro systems) with over two
ancient protocols stacked over...

John

Jul 21, 2023, 7:06:53 PM7/21/23
Interesting, do they peer?

john

Dave McGuire

Jul 22, 2023, 10:00:49 AM7/22/23
On 7/21/23 19:06, John wrote:
>>> Anybody ever notice that the structure of comp.sys is basically ready
>>> laid for retrocomputing discussion? More or less everything that was
>>> current back when the hierarchy was defined is now a historical
>>> artifact.
>>>
>>> john
>> Ironically, accesing FIDO and DOVEnet thru nntp, cvs.synchro.net:119
>> gives you actual discussions on modern themes (also, talks over
>> retro systems) with over two
>> ancient protocols stacked over...
>
> Interesting, do they peer?

My thoughts exactly!

-Dave

--
Dave McGuire, President/Curator
Large Scale Systems Museum

bozo user

Jul 23, 2023, 2:00:25 PM7/23/23
I didn't look, I think not, it looks more like an NNTP
bridge to DOVE and FIDOnet networks, altough as I said you can
use any NNTP client as if you were using Usenet groups.
Discussions show up threaded in SLRN for instance, and it's
easier to follow some conversation (far more) than using a plain
BBS client over Telnet or Syncterm, even with ANSI additions.
You lose access to the files' section on the BBS but for
messaging SLRN and caching news locally it's very convenient.
You don't have to be online and you can pull/push your news/answer
ondemand.

Here's my list of "subscribed" DOVE and FIDOnet groups.
I don't read them all (for instance, I don't care on Firearms,
Religion or OS/2, but it's handy to have them in order
to follow some crossposted articles.

Main.Notices
Main.General
Main.Debate
Main.Entertainment
DOVE-Net.General
DOVE-Net.Advertisements
DOVE-Net.Entertainment
DOVE-Net.Debate
DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
DOVE-Net.Programming
DOVE-Net.Unix
DOVE-Net.HAM_Radio
DOVE-Net.Internet
DOVE-Net.Pro-Audio
DOVE-Net.Firearms
DOVE-Net.Sports
DOVE-Net.Religion
DOVE-Net.Hobbies
DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Announcements
DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Discussion
DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Baja
DOVE-Net.Synchronet_JavaScript
DOVE-Net.Synchronet_Programming
FidoNet.BBS_ADS
FidoNet.ECHO_ADS
FidoNet.FILEFIND
FidoNet.AMATEUR_RADIO
FidoNet.HAM_TECH
FidoNet.FIDO-REQ
FidoNet.APOGEE
FidoNet.BBBS.ENGLISH
FidoNet.DOORGAMES
FidoNet.BBS_CARNIVAL
FidoNet.BINKLEY
FidoNet.CBM
FidoNet.COMM
FidoNet.CONSPRCY
FidoNet.DBRIDGE
FidoNet.DEBATE
FidoNet.OS2DOSBBS
FidoNet.ECHOLIST
FidoNet.FE_HELP
FidoNet.FidoGazette
FidoNet.CHAT
FidoNet.OS2
FidoNet.NET_DEV
FidoNet.FIDO_UTIL
FidoNet.FN_SYSOP
FidoNet.FIDONEWS
FidoNet.FIDOTEST
FidoNet.FDN_ANNOUNCE
FidoNet.AQUARIUM
FidoNet.FMAIL_HELP
FidoNet.FDECHO
FidoNet.FTSC_PUBLIC
FidoNet.Future4Fido
FidoNet.FIDOSOFT.HUSKY
FidoNet.GOLDED
FidoNet.GUITAR
FidoNet.HAM
FidoNet.HOME_COOKING
FidoNet.FILEGATE
FidoNet.IBBSDOOR
FidoNet.INTERNET
FidoNet.BBS_INTERNET
FidoNet.IREX
FidoNet.IPv6
FidoNet.LORD
FidoNet.LINUX_BBS
FidoNet.LINUX
FidoNet.Maximus_Support
FidoNet.MBSE_Support
FidoNet.WINDOWS
FidoNet.MONTE
FidoNet.Movies
FidoNet.MUSIC
FidoNet.Mystic_Support
FidoNet.COOKING
FidoNet.OS2PROG
FidoNet.TEAMOS2
FidoNet.OS2DOS
FidoNet.OTHERNETS
FidoNet.PASCAL
FidoNet.PASCAL_LESSONS
FidoNet.PCBoard
FidoNet.POLITICS
FidoNet.ALL-POLITICS
FidoNet.PDNECHO
FidoNet.RENEGADE_BBS
FidoNet.TUB
FidoNet.OS2BBS
FidoNet.BBS_PROMOTION
FidoNet.BINKD
FidoNet.UTF-8
FidoNet.Wildcat__Support
FidoNet.WIN95
FidoNet.WinPoint
FidoNet.WWIV
FidoNet.ZCC-Public
FidoNet.Z1_BACKBONE
fsxNet.FSX_GEN
fsxNet.FSX_MAG
fsxNet.FSX_ENG
fsxNet.FSX_HAM
fsxNet.FSX_NET
fsxNet.FSX_Ads
fsxNet.FSX_CRY
fsxNet.FSX_MYS
fsxNet.FSX_BOT
fsxNet.FSX_BBS
fsxNet.FSX_Test

okto

Jan 3, 2024, 8:32:52 PMJan 3
bozo user <an...@disroot.org> wrote:

> I didn't look, I think not, it looks more like an NNTP
> bridge to DOVE and FIDOnet networks, altough as I said you can
> use any NNTP client as if you were using Usenet groups.
> Discussions show up threaded in SLRN for instance, and it's
> easier to follow some conversation (far more) than using a plain
> BBS client over Telnet or Syncterm, even with ANSI additions.
> You lose access to the files' section on the BBS but for
> messaging SLRN and caching news locally it's very convenient.
> You don't have to be online and you can pull/push your news/answer
> ondemand.

Do you have a good resource for explaining what FIDOnet and DOVE are, how
to connect to them, and what they’re good for in 2023? I have poked around,
and I still haven’t found a good “here’s what it is and why you care”
explanation.

I do love the idea of BBS messages being available both in the slowpoke CRT
world and in the internet sphere. Dialing in on my M100 is fun, but it is
awfully tedious as a way to actually follow a conversation.