Local Networking / Filesharing PC > Mac

Michael

Feb 28, 2005, 10:07:44 AM2/28/05
Hi Everyone,

I'm sure this may be a common question, but finding simple (and that
actually work) instructions seems difficult to come by. The problem is
simple. A network that has 2 Mac and 1 PC on it. The Macs are both running
OSX (10.3) and the PC is Win2000 (SP4). And I just want to be able to have a
share folder on the pc that the macs can read. Now on NT4 this is done
simply by setting up a mac share. I could possibly use MacLan, but i don't
want another resource eating application running all the time. Now surely
OXS and 2k are both sophisticated enough for this to work. It's not like
it's anything that complicated. But how can i make it work?

Thanks

Michael

Alan Zisman

Feb 28, 2005, 10:25:30 AM2/28/05
In article <cvvc40$l6b$1...@hercules.btinternet.com>,
"Michael" <michae...@vital-design.co.uk> wrote:

OS X (starting with 10.1) has had support for Windows networking
built-in... but you need to turn it on to allow Windows systems to
connect to your Mac.

What version of OS X are you using (details vary with different
versions), and what, if anything have you tried?

(On OS X 10.3, for instance, it's as simple as opening the Sharing
system preference and turning on Windows Sharing).

And do you have file-sharing enabled on the Win2000 system?

remove 'nospam' when replying

LaManchaDQ

Feb 28, 2005, 5:48:29 PM2/28/05

"Michael" <michae...@vital-design.co.uk> wrote in message

On the Mac side turning on windows sharing is pretty much it. You don't need
any extra software on either the windows or mac sides. However on the
Windows side there is a whole lot more to be concerned about and to
troubleshoot if teh basics doen't get things done. Good resources for the
basics and to go a little deeper are

http://www.macwindows.com
http://joelshoemaker.com
http://homepage.mac.com/william_white/smbdoc.html#_3._Diagnostic_Tools

Reviewing these is much better than getting bits and pieces of the story
from one of these newsgroups.

Michael Greene

Mar 8, 2005, 1:28:40 AM3/8/05

> All I had to do was make a shared folder on my PC and then using the Go drop down menu on the mac
I just connected to the server and there was my IBM computer. Selected
the shared floder and could access the files (mp3's).