iMessage is the glue that keeps people stuck to their iPhones and Macs

1 view

Enzo Dubois

Oct 10, 2016, 10:17:12 PM10/10/16
iMessage is the glue that keeps people stuck to their iPhones and Macs
http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/10/13225514/apple-iphone-cant-switch-pixel-android-imessage-addiction

"Last week Google revealed its Pixel phone, or "Google phone" as Google’s
own search trends have determined. The promise of a premium-feeling Android
phone, with a new virtual assistant and access to the latest Android
software, is tantalizing enough to make even the most content iPhone users
consider a switch at upgrade time."

"Back in June, when Apple showed off a bunch of new iMessage features and
said it would be opening up iMessage to third-party app developers, some
people wondered whether the company would go even a step further and bring
iMessage to Android phones. It was a valid question in the
"who-really-knows-what-Apple-will-do" sense, but still, the idea made
little sense to me. Of course Apple wasn’t going to allow iMessage to
function on Android: iMessage is the glue that keeps people stuck to their
iPhones and Macs."

Davoud

Oct 11, 2016, 1:13:23 AM10/11/16
Enzo Dubois:
> iMessage is the glue that keeps people stuck to their iPhones and Macs

What a load of nonsense! I use Macs because they work better for me
than Windows in running the software that I need. If they didn't, I
would use Windows. I use iPhone because it is the most elegant and
stable and secure smartphone in the business. And I don't wear a fake
Rolex, so why would I own an iPhone rip-off, when I can have the real
thing there, too.

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm

Lewis

Oct 11, 2016, 1:24:52 AM10/11/16
In message <nthi37$2di3$1...@adenine.netfront.net>
Enzo Dubois <EnzoD...@bouyguestelecom.fr> wrote:
> iMessage is the glue that keeps people stuck to their iPhones and Macs
> http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/10/13225514/apple-iphone-cant-switch-pixel-android-imessage-addiction

> "Last week Google revealed its Pixel phone, or "Google phone" as Google’s
> own search trends have determined. The promise of a premium-feeling Android
> phone, with a new virtual assistant and access to the latest Android
> software, is tantalizing enough to make even the most content iPhone users
> consider a switch at upgrade time."

Unlikely.

> "Back in June, when Apple showed off a bunch of new iMessage features and
> said it would be opening up iMessage to third-party app developers, some
> people wondered whether the company would go even a step further and bring
> iMessage to Android phones. It was a valid question in the
> "who-really-knows-what-Apple-will-do" sense, but still, the idea made
> little sense to me. Of course Apple wasn’t going to allow iMessage to
> function on Android: iMessage is the glue that keeps people stuck to their
> iPhones and Macs."

Very silly. I use iMessage daily to communicate with iPhone users and
with SMS users. The reason I have an iPhoen has nothing to do with
iMessage. In fact, it has nothing to do with any application.

--
He remembered the knowledge. He remembered feeling his mind as cold as
ice and limitless as the night sky. He remembered being summoned into

JF Mezei

Oct 11, 2016, 1:44:50 AM10/11/16
On 2016-10-11 01:13, Davoud wrote:
> Enzo Dubois:
>> iMessage is the glue that keeps people stuck to their iPhones and Macs
>
> What a load of nonsense!

Not nonsence. iMessage and Facetime are proprietary to Apple. And if
your friends are on iPhones, then there is social pressure for you to be
on iPhone to be able to iMessage and Facetime with them. (or for you to
push them to get an iPhone so you can iMessage and Facetime with them)

Google is trying to build a similar ecosystem with its Allo.

Chris

Oct 11, 2016, 4:16:15 AM10/11/16
Lewis <g.k...@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies> wrote:
> In message <nthi37$2di3$1...@adenine.netfront.net>
> Enzo Dubois <EnzoD...@bouyguestelecom.fr> wrote:
>> iMessage is the glue that keeps people stuck to their iPhones and Macs
>> http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/10/13225514/apple-iphone-cant-switch-pixel-android-imessage-addiction
>
>> "Last week Google revealed its Pixel phone, or "Google phone" as Google’s
>> own search trends have determined. The promise of a premium-feeling Android
>> phone, with a new virtual assistant and access to the latest Android
>> software, is tantalizing enough to make even the most content iPhone users
>> consider a switch at upgrade time."
>
> Unlikely.
>
>> "Back in June, when Apple showed off a bunch of new iMessage features and
>> said it would be opening up iMessage to third-party app developers, some
>> people wondered whether the company would go even a step further and bring
>> iMessage to Android phones. It was a valid question in the
>> "who-really-knows-what-Apple-will-do" sense, but still, the idea made
>> little sense to me. Of course Apple wasn’t going to allow iMessage to
>> function on Android: iMessage is the glue that keeps people stuck to their
>> iPhones and Macs."
>
> Very silly. I use iMessage daily to communicate with iPhone users and
> with SMS users. The reason I have an iPhoen has nothing to do with
> iMessage. In fact, it has nothing to do with any application.

Agree. For me iOS is the big draw and in the Pixel, Android is the big
drawback.

Rod Speed

Oct 11, 2016, 1:41:59 PM10/11/16
JF Mezei <jfmezei...@vaxination.ca> wrote
> Davoud wrote
>> Enzo Dubois

>>> iMessage is the glue that keeps people stuck to their iPhones and Macs

>> What a load of nonsense!

> Not nonsence.

Complete nonsense.

> iMessage and Facetime are proprietary to Apple.

Yes, but imessage works fine to non apple devices.

> And if your friends are on iPhones, then there is social pressure
> for you to be on iPhone to be able to iMessage and Facetime
> with them. (or for you to push them to get an iPhone so
> you can iMessage and Facetime with them)

Yes, but that isnt what keeps people stuck to apple devices.

> Google is trying to build a similar ecosystem with its Allo.

Sure, but that’s a separate matter to what keeps people stuck to their
apple devices. What does that is the entire ecosystem, no imessage.

And plenty of them don’t stick, my neighbours who I provide free
wifi to have all moved to androids, because they are much cheaper.

W. Wesley Groleau

Oct 11, 2016, 6:21:04 PM10/11/16
On 10-11-2016 00:44, JF Mezei wrote:
> Not nonsence. iMessage and Facetime are proprietary to Apple. And if
> your friends are on iPhones, then there is social pressure for you to be
> on iPhone to be able to iMessage and Facetime with them. (or for you to

hmmm. I haven't noticed such pressure. Then agai, it's not all that
easy to distinguish iMessage from SMS or FaceTime from Skype.

--
Wes Groleau

Davoud

Oct 11, 2016, 6:43:00 PM10/11/16
Enzo Dubois:
> >> iMessage is the glue that keeps people stuck to their iPhones and Macs

Davoud:
> > What a load of nonsense!

JF Mezei
> Not nonsence. iMessage and Facetime are proprietary to Apple. And if
> your friends are on iPhones, then there is social pressure for you to be
> on iPhone to be able to iMessage and Facetime with them. (or for you to
> push them to get an iPhone so you can iMessage and Facetime with them)

I guess I was unaware of this because it simply doesn't work on me. No
one pressured me to buy iPhone and I have never pressured anyone else
to get an iPhone for iMessage or Facetime or any other reason. I can
text without iMessaages and I rarely use Facetime, and even more rarely
from an iOS device. If I do a video chat it's virtually always with a
Windoze user overseas and it's via Skype. Works fine for me.

That said, it so happens that in my cohort in the U.S. literally every
person I have occasion to contact uses iOS except for one cousin who is
a pennypincher.

> Google is trying to build a similar ecosystem with its Allo.

Google wants to own my identity and rent it back to me.

Lewis

Oct 11, 2016, 6:46:32 PM10/11/16
In message <57fc7c51$0$17502$b1db1813$19ac...@news.astraweb.com>
JF Mezei <jfmezei...@vaxination.ca> wrote:
> On 2016-10-11 01:13, Davoud wrote:
>> Enzo Dubois:
>>> iMessage is the glue that keeps people stuck to their iPhones and Macs
>>
>> What a load of nonsense!

> Not nonsence.

Yes, nonsense.

--
'My strength is like the strength of ten because my heart is pure,' said
Carrot. 'Really? Well, there's eleven of them.' --Jingo

W. Wesley Groleau

Oct 11, 2016, 6:49:49 PM10/11/16
On 10-11-2016 17:42, Davoud wrote:
> Google wants to own my identity and rent it back to me.

Did this really come from the guy who has berated us in the past for
having an interest in privacy?

--
Wes Groleau

Davoud

Oct 11, 2016, 8:26:55 PM10/11/16
Davoud:
> > Google wants to own my identity and rent it back to me.

W. Wesley Groleau:
> Did this really come from the guy who has berated us in the past for
> having an interest in privacy?

I never berated anyone for being concerned over privacy. I have merely
pointed out蟻nd I will again逆hat such concerns are futile. The privacy
battle has long since been lost to commercial interests.

If anything, it may have been disingenuous of me not to have said
"Google owns my identity and is renting it back to me." This because I
have a GMail account. Resistance is futile. One can either get over it
or get off the Internet.

JF Mezei

Oct 11, 2016, 10:32:28 PM10/11/16
On 2016-10-11 13:41, Rod Speed wrote:

> Yes, but imessage works fine to non apple devices.

iMessage is limited to basic SMS to non Apple devices. When talking to
an apple user at other end, the real iMessage is enabled with the
ability to send far richer content as it is send as data instead of SMS
or MMS.

Lewis

Oct 11, 2016, 10:56:15 PM10/11/16
In message <111020162026547872%st...@sky.net>
Davoud <st...@sky.net> wrote:
> Davoud:
>> > Google wants to own my identity and rent it back to me.

> W. Wesley Groleau:
>> Did this really come from the guy who has berated us in the past for
>> having an interest in privacy?

> I never berated anyone for being concerned over privacy. I have merely
> pointed out‹and I will again‹that such concerns are futile. The privacy
> battle has long since been lost to commercial interests.

The fact that Davoud has repeatedly defended the NSA's practice of
spying on everyone is of no relevance, of course.

--
This is to say: while it was true that they had just appeared in this
particular set of dimensions, it was also true that they had been living

Rod Speed

Oct 12, 2016, 2:31:33 AM10/12/16
JF Mezei <jfmezei...@vaxination.ca> wrote
> Rod Speed wrote

>> Yes, but imessage works fine to non apple devices.

> iMessage is limited to basic SMS to non Apple devices.

Yes, but that works fine for most.

> When talking to an apple user at other end, the real
> iMessage is enabled with the ability to send far richer
> content as it is send as data instead of SMS or MMS.

And that capability doesn’t lock anyone much in.

The original claim was a silly lie.

Savageduck

Oct 12, 2016, 11:48:55 AM10/12/16

<http://blog.sfgate.com/morford/2016/10/11/google-just-became-shamelessly-terrifying/>
--

Regards,

Savageduck

Lewis

Oct 12, 2016, 1:01:50 PM10/12/16
In message <2016101208484961200-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>
"It’s all led to what they just revealed themselves to be: The most
blithely megalomaniacal, data-sucking company on earth, a vast and
ominous succubus of (mostly personal) information, nothing more or less
than the single-most potent, AI-driven conduit through which forcibly
floweth all human activity, both social and domestic, public and
personal."

Yeah, I'm not interested in reading anyone who says something so
absurdly stupid, misinformed, and trollish.

--
Truth is seen through keyholes

Savageduck

Oct 12, 2016, 1:07:42 PM10/12/16
Yeah! However, Morford is a San Francisco Chronicle paid troll, so it
is interesting to see the position they are taking.
--
Regards,

Savageduck

W. Wesley Groleau

Oct 12, 2016, 1:25:44 PM10/12/16
On 10-12-2016 12:01, Lewis wrote:
>> > <http://blog.sfgate.com/morford/2016/10/11/google-just-became-shamelessly-terrifying/>
> "It’s all led to what they just revealed themselves to be: The most
> blithely megalomaniacal, data-sucking [snip]."
>
> Yeah, I'm not interested in reading anyone who says something so
> absurdly stupid, misinformed, and trollish.

It was tremendously exaggerated, yet it does sometimes seem that
Google would like to compete with NSA. :-)

--
Wes Groleau