Re: Panther can('t) connect to server

ipo

Mar 13, 2005, 3:45:01 AM3/13/05
"Robert" <r.zeg...@zonnet.nl> wrote in message
news:5ddbf$418a8f01$513a71ef$27...@news1.zonnet.nl...
> Hi,
>
> I've got a strange problem.
> I'm running a windows 2003 server, running Services for Macintosh.
> This works fine. I can connect from a G4 with OS9.2 without a problem
> using the chooser.
>
> On my Powerbook G4 running Panther (10.3.5) i've tried this:
> "GO - CONNECT TO SERVER - afp://x.x.x.x/"
> I get a message like "wrong name and/or passwsord"
> But don't get a chance to fill in a name and password.
>
> Then i created a new account on this Powerbook.
> When i try the same:
> "GO - CONNECT TO SERVER - afp://x.x.x.x/"
> I can fill in a name and password, and the connection works fine.
>
> So, what's wrong..?
>
> ps. The name/password aren't stored in the keychain.
>

> ROBERT

Robert, did you get this to work? I'm new to OS X and I have the same
problem. I've read every posting I could find on the subject but no luck so
far. My setup and symptoms are:

1. G5 running OS X 10.3.5.
2. PC running Win2k Server.
3. The workgroup name is set to be the same in both machines.
4. The Mac can ping the PC, and viceversa.
5. I have no trouble connecting to the Mac from Windows by specifying the
Mac's IP address through the Map Network Drive menu option.

Now, when I open Go/Connect to Server in the Mac, I enter the Win2k server
address as smb://192.168.0.27. This produces the "invalid username/password
message" even though I am never given the chance to supply either. I've also
tried other name resolutions such as smb://workgroup;us...@192.168.0.27 but
nothing works.

Any help from yourself and other readers is very much appreciated.

ipo

aalegado

Mar 14, 2005, 8:05:54 PM3/14/05
What happens when you try to connect using this syntax:

smb://username:password@IP_ADDRESS/SHARENAME

~

Mar 15, 2005, 6:57:20 AM3/15/05
it may be a security feature to prevent someone from hacking into it
maybe smb protocol encrypts the connection and does not work lik ftp.

only ftp i know of sends the login in the clear

In article <1110848754.7...@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,

ipo

Mar 16, 2005, 2:42:33 AM3/16/05
"aalegado" <aale...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> What happens when you try to connect using this syntax:
>
> smb://username:password@IP_ADDRESS/SHARENAME

This syntax works! Thanks everyone.