Need to get data from low density MAC floppy

Kent P. Iler

Mar 7, 2005, 10:48:22 PM3/7/05

We have a Mac 512e from the mid 1980's, and yes, it still works! I have a
spreadsheet on a floppy (multiplan) that I would like to have e-mailed to
me, so I can convert it to Excel. However, I can't find anyone that can
read this format.

Any suggestions? Are there services around that do this?

Thanks,

-- Kent Iler
ke...@iler.NOSPAM.com
Please CC: all replies via e-mail
Remove .NOSPAM from e-mail address

Fetch, Rover, Fetch

Mar 8, 2005, 7:57:39 AM3/8/05
I believe that support for the low density 3.5 floppies stopped at the
introduction of the PPC chip 6100 was the first, any xxx0 model is PPC.

So.. in concept at least any 68K based Mac *should* be able to access
the floppy. This means any of the following (and there variations)
should be able to read the disk:
Mac plus
SE
Mac II (fx, ci, cs, vx, etc)
600 series
700 series
800 series

Opening the file and getting the data out....that might be a different
story....

hope that helps

Spaminator

Mar 8, 2005, 2:11:00 PM3/8/05
In article <hsudne1H6NX...@comcast.com>, Fetch, Rover, Fetch
<Fetch-Ro...@K9University.edu> wrote:

The 512e should still be able to talk to your newer mac over an
Appletalk network. Perhaps you can copy the file over that way.

In a more round about way....

There is a program called vMac. It's an "old mac" emulator that will
read 400k floppies even on a PPC machine. There's a catch though.

You need the ROM from an older mac (vMac doesn't come with one but it
does come with a ROM grabber). So you put the ROM grabber onto as low
a density disk as the PPC will read and then you pop that disk into
your working 512e and you can copy it's ROM to a file on the disk.

Then you move that ROM to the PPC and put it in with vMac. Then you
can plug the low density disk into the drive and read it with vMac.

You can get vMac from www.emulation.net and it's even carbonized now so
you can use it with X :-)

LaManchaDQ

Mar 12, 2005, 9:02:21 PM3/12/05

"Kent P. Iler" <ke...@iler.NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
Multiplan uses the Symbolic Link Format so the curren Excel will be able to
read it as a SYLK file.

Dave

Mar 13, 2005, 12:16:26 AM3/13/05
In article <080320051108172196%spam...@my.fingertips>,
Spaminator <spam...@my.fingertips> wrote:

> In article <hsudne1H6NX...@comcast.com>, Fetch, Rover, Fetch
> <Fetch-Ro...@K9University.edu> wrote:
>
> > Kent P. Iler wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > We have a Mac 512e from the mid 1980's, and yes, it still works! I have a
> > > spreadsheet on a floppy (multiplan) that I would like to have e-mailed to
> > > me, so I can convert it to Excel. However, I can't find anyone that can
> > > read this format.
> > >
> > > Any suggestions? Are there services around that do this?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > -- Kent Iler

You can mail it to me. I'll stick it into my Peforma 476 (or the 460), then copy
it to a 1.4 floppy and email it to you... let me know...dave...

Managed Resistance

Mar 16, 2005, 10:30:23 PM3/16/05

I don't mean to split hairs, but if you're going to email the data to
the person... Why even bother copying it to a high density floppy? Is
your Performa not on the Internet/network?

matt...@hotmail.com

Apr 1, 2005, 8:42:31 AM4/1/05
I have a PowerMac 6100; it reads double density Mac or PC disks :)
density PC disk and put their file on it?
That way, most any computer with a floppy disk drive (bar some USB disk
drives from what I hear) can read it.

--
mattabat