Transfer Info

1 view

Buzz

Mar 23, 2005, 10:51:26 PM3/23/05
I just purchased a new 1gz eMac. I have an iMac 400 running 10.3.8. I thought
I'd be smart and just duplicate the iMac on to the eMac and have my system
and all my programs. I used Retrospect and had the emac hooked up to a G4
computer using target mode. Didn't work. When I got done with the process the
emac starts to boot gets the white apple screen then a screen comes up in
multi-language and tells me I have to reboot the computer. It doesn't start
at all.

Any idea what I did wrong? Thanks.

--
Buzz

life is too short to drink bad wine!

Steve

Mar 24, 2005, 5:27:44 PM3/24/05
On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 19:51:26 -0800, Buzz wrote
(in message <0001HW.BE67A36E000B4106F03055B0@news-server>):

The system installs that come standard with a new computer are
machine-specific. It is possible that the OS version on the iMac is specific
to that machine, and won't run a different machine. Even if you have a
generic retail version of OS 10.3.8 on the iMac, the system install could've
left out system components that the iMac doesn't need, but the eMac does. Or
there could be some machine specific preferences/settings that got copied
over.

I would wipe the eMac HD and use the system restore disks to bring it back
factory fresh, and once you have done the initial setup, then start dragging
data/document files/folders, and any third party applications from the old
machine. Other than the preferences files for these third party apps, the
apps themselves should run fine on the new machine. As long as they are
compatible with the new OS version.

Steve

Steve

Buzz

Mar 24, 2005, 10:20:43 PM3/24/05
On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 17:27:44 -0500, Steve wrote
(in message <0001HW.BE687EE0...@newsgroups.comcast.net>):

I've come to the conclusion that the system on the iMac must be machine
specific. I have done the system restore, after erasing the HD. I guess I'll
just install the programs I need and transter the data/documents. I thought I
could do it the easy way but it didn't work out. It won't be to bad becuase
the iMac only had a 4GB hard drive so there wasn't much there.

At least it is not my main machine, then reinstalling would be a pain. Of
course that is a way to clean everything up.

Thanks Steve for you input.

Donald Hall

Mar 25, 2005, 12:25:26 AM3/25/05
In article <0001HW.BE68EDBA004A15F2F03055B0@news-server>,
Buzz <bwalling*NOSPAM*@stny.rr.com> wrote:

Use the Setup Assistant program that comes with the machine. You set the
old machine up in FireWire target mode and let it run. I just did a new
iBook G4 from an older iBook and it worked pretty well, even though one
was running Jaguar and the other Panther. All my programs and settings
came across just fine. The only exception I have found so far was
ViaVoice and that required me to transfer some files from /usr/local via
the command line in Terminal. There may be other similar problems that
show up later - I've only done it a few days ago.

HTH,

Don

--
Donald S. Hall, Ph.D.
Apps & More Software Design, Inc.

Buzz

Mar 25, 2005, 12:44:55 PM3/25/05
On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 0:25:26 -0500, Donald Hall wrote
(in message <spamback-042917...@news.telus.net>):

The only Setup Assistant programs that I have on the new eMac are AirPort
Setup Assistant or Bluetooth Setup Assistant. I looked on my G4 the only
Setup Assistant is the program in OS 9 that sets up the computer when you
first get it with name, address, internet etc. Nothing about programs.

But I do thank you for the possiblitly. Thank you.

Donald Hall

Mar 26, 2005, 12:47:03 AM3/26/05
In article <0001HW.BE69B84700798F51F03055B0@news-server>,
Buzz <bwalling*NOSPAM*@stny.rr.com> wrote:

You should have the program at /Applications/Utilities/Setup Assistant.
If it's not there, try looking on the installation CDs

Buzz

Mar 26, 2005, 12:03:01 PM3/26/05
On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 0:47:03 -0500, Donald Hall wrote
(in message <spamback-709295...@news.telus.net>):

> You should have the program at /Applications/Utilities/Setup Assistant.
> If it's not there, try looking on the installation CDs
>
> Don

It's not there. There is no way to look on the install disks for just one
program. I did a full install.

At this point I'm not worried about it. I have the eMac set up the way I want
it. Thanks Don for all you suggestions and help. It is appreciated!