Not Familiar with Mac's. Have quesetions

dbridwell

Mar 20, 2005, 8:49:16 PM3/20/05
Greetings Everyone,

I haven't used an Apple comp since 1984, but I'm getting a Pro Tools system
from a co-worker, along with a Mac. He says it's a bit old, and not all
that powerful, so I'm considering seeing what it would take to upgrade it..
so that brings on the questions...

Obviously, I do know that the processors are different, but what about RAM,
or hard drives? Do Mac's require a different type of RAM, or will they use
the same as PC's? Same question regarding hard drives... etc..

Thanks........

Odysseus

Mar 21, 2005, 3:00:18 AM3/21/05
In article <BZydnfd0Ebk...@adelphia.com>,
"dbridwell" <drbri...@adelphia.net> wrote:

Recent Macs use the same types of RAM and drive connections as PCs, but
that's not true of many older ones: it depends on just how old. If it's
a G4-based system it'll have ATA drives, PCI card slots, USB (&
FireWire) connections, &c., but if it's a first- or second-generation
PowerPC system it'll have SCSI drives, NuBus slots, proprietary ADB &
serial ports, &c. G3 systems are transitional; industry-standard
components were 'swapped in' incrementally over the life of the
product-line, from the beige 233-MHz systems to the blue-&-translucent
300- & 400-MHz minitowers.

If you can find out the exact model it'll be possible to be more
specific about its components. If it's in running condition and has OS
8.x or later, maybe you could ask your co-worker to print out or e-mail
you the hardware & peripherals reports from the Apple System Profiler
program (usually available from the Apple menu); this will give details
of the CPU & motherboard models, installed RAM, drive connections, &c.

What's Pro Tools, BTW?

--
Odysseus

Alan Zisman

Mar 21, 2005, 10:40:38 AM3/21/05
In article <BZydnfd0Ebk...@adelphia.com>,
"dbridwell" <drbri...@adelphia.net> wrote:

Short answer-- it depends.

Find out and repost with the model name... and you can get a more
specific answer.

However, in general, any Mac from the past 10 years or so will probably
use generic PC RAM from the same era and standard IDE drives.

Not every CD-RW or DVD-RW model will work with Mac software, even though
they may be physically compatible with your Mac... but standard IDE hard
drives should not be a problem.

remove 'nospam' when replying

LaManchaDQ

Mar 21, 2005, 2:39:42 PM3/21/05

"dbridwell" <drbri...@adelphia.net> wrote in message

If your gifted mac is too old, considering upgarde pricing and performance
issues you might look, instead, at the Mac Mini. I've got one now attached
to my PC network and KVM'd with my XP machine.