Network help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Andrew Moon

Mar 6, 2005, 11:12:44 AM3/6/05
Hi my sister has an ibook G4 (using OSX) and my dad has recently bought
a wireless router/adsl modem. As she has not yet got an airport extreme
card she decided to connect using a cable and dad connects using a
wireless link.
She has set the router up using her ibook and the wireless link works
fine on my dads comp (which is windows based) and he can access the inet
but my sisters ibook wont connect to the internet. i was thinking this
could be due to a setting to say connect through network not being
enabled and so the ibook was looking for the inet through a modem (which
isn't there) and was wondering if anyone had an idea for a location of
this setting or another reason why it wont connect. The router says it
is both mac and windows compatible and i assume this to be true as it
seems to work with both systems (apart from the lack of connection
through the ibook)
cheers

Tim Harbison

Mar 6, 2005, 11:47:22 AM3/6/05

Is she getting an IP address via DHCP from the router? If not, she
won't be able to connect to anything (obviously).

If she is, open a terminal window and see if you can ping something like
www.yahoo.com

If she can't ping that, can she ping the router?

If she's not getting an address and the ethernet interface is set for
DHCP, check to make sure the router is set to act as a DHCP server.

If dad enabled MAC address filtering on the router, make sure hers is in
the list.

Just a few things to start with.

John A. Weeks III

Mar 6, 2005, 12:38:47 PM3/6/05
In article <d0fa5u$es$1...@oheron.kent.ac.uk>,
Andrew Moon <ad...@kent.ac.uk> wrote:

> She has set the router up using her ibook and the wireless link works
> fine on my dads comp (which is windows based) and he can access the inet
> but my sisters ibook wont connect to the internet. i was thinking this
> could be due to a setting to say connect through network not being
> enabled and so the ibook was looking for the inet through a modem (which
> isn't there) and was wondering if anyone had an idea for a location of
> this setting or another reason why it wont connect

Open up your System Preferences, then click on the Network panel.
Pick the Ethernet option, pick TCP/IP tab, then select the DHCP
choice. Reboot. It should work now. If it doesn't, then
come back to this same place, write down the information that
you find, and post a new message with that information.

Using DHCP tells the computer to ask the DSL router to send
back configuration information. This is either working, or
it isn't. It is also possible that your ISP only allows one
machine to use the Internet service, but in general, these
router boxes are supposed eliminate that problem.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708 jo...@johnweeks.com
Newave Communications http://www.johnweeks.com

Bob Harris

Mar 6, 2005, 12:43:15 PM3/6/05
In article <d0fa5u$es$1...@oheron.kent.ac.uk>,
Andrew Moon <ad...@kent.ac.uk> wrote:

does the cable modem require a login username and password vis something
like PPPoE? Did your Dad do this from the PC, or was this operation
moved to the Cable/DSL modem? If the PC is doing the login, then the
cable company would not let your sister access. If the login is done
from the Cable/DSL router, then any home computer connected to the
Cable/DSL router should be able to share the connection.

In the little blue Apple menu -> System Preferences -> Network control
panel, does your sister have an ethernet entry. Actually your sister
would have had to go out of her way to get rid of an ethernet entry in
the Network System Preferences (way way out of her way).

If she selects the ethernet entry in the Network System Preferences, the
configuration should be set to Using DHCP, and she should have received
a IP address from the Cable/DSL router. Typically of the form
192.168.*.* (but it could also be 10.*.*.*, but less likely).

Another possibility is that she has an IP address from the Cable/DSL
router, but for some reason did not get DNS server addresses.

As a test, see if your sister can connect to a web page via the IP
address. For example: 216.239.57.99 is Google.com, 17.254.3.183 is
Apple.com. Try connecting via a browser to the numeric IP address. If
this succeeds, then your sister is not getting a DNS server address.

If you know the DNS server IP addresses for your Dad's ISP, you could
try manually entering them into the Network System Preferences.

If your sister is getting an IP address, a router address (typically of
the form 192.168.*.1) and a net mask (typically 255.255.255.0), then see
if you can find the IP address, router address, and net mask assigned to
your Dad's PC. See if the router and net mask are identical, and that
the IP address assigned to your sister has the same first 3 numbers,
with the last number being different from your Dad's PC's IP address.

Other suggestions you have already received should also be checked.

Bob Harris

P.A.Osborne

Mar 7, 2005, 3:58:19 AM3/7/05
In ukc.comphelp Andrew Moon <ad...@kent.ac.uk> wrote:
> Hi my sister has an ibook G4 (using OSX) and my dad has recently bought
> a wireless router/adsl modem. As she has not yet got an airport extreme
> card she decided to connect using a cable and dad connects using a
> wireless link.

If you are using DHCP, try setting a static address by hand on the
iBook, Macs for some reason that escapes me seem to foul up the lease
time on the DHCPd address with some DHCP servers (notably those in small
home routers) and end up getting in a state as they are continually
trying to DHCP the address.

I had this issue and after a fair amount of harsh language, a static
address has fixed the matter.

Cheers

Paul