Opening ZIP Attachments

PLB

Mar 15, 2005, 9:57:33 PM3/15/05
All,

I am a newbie to OS X 10.3.8. I have received some eMails from
PC-types that have ZIP attachments. Most appreciative if someone could
tell me how to open such attachments. I have tried double clicking and
that does not work.

Many thanks.

sbt

Mar 15, 2005, 10:12:28 PM3/15/05
In article <1110941853.7...@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>, PLB
<sbr...@cox.net> wrote:

Double-clicking really should work. The default Panther behavior when
encountering a .zip file is to launch BOMArchiveHelper (an app in
/System/Library/CoreServices, designed to create and extract from ZIP
archives). If that's not being launched, then someone has reset the
system defaults within your account.

You could get the freeware StuffIt Expander from Allume Systems
(formerly Aladdin Systems) -- that will also expand .zip archives.

--
Spenser

Message has been deleted

PLB

Mar 15, 2005, 11:04:37 PM3/15/05
Spenser,

Thank you for your note. I am a bit technically challenge; so, I would
appreciate how to go about seeing how to assess whether my system
defaults need to be reset. At this point I really do not know how to
proceed/

Thanks again.

sbt

Mar 15, 2005, 11:48:43 PM3/15/05
In article <1110944099.6...@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>, PLB
<sbr...@cox.net> wrote:

> Spenser,
>
> Thank you for your note. I am a bit technically challenge; so, I would
> appreciate how to go about seeing how to assess whether my system
> defaults need to be reset. At this point I really do not know how to
> proceed/
>
> Thanks again.

Select one of the ZIP files and choose File->Get Info (or press cmd-I).

In the Open with section of the Info window that appears, check to see
what application is listed in the popup menu. If it doesn't say
BOMArchiveHelper, then the default has been changed. If that's the
case, open the popup menu and choose BOMArchiveHelper. After you've
done that, you can click the Change All button (which should now be
enabled) and set that as the default action for all ZIP files.

--
Spenser

Gregory Weston

Mar 16, 2005, 6:25:13 AM3/16/05

> Spenser,
>
> Thank you for your note. I am a bit technically challenge; so, I would
> appreciate how to go about seeing how to assess whether my system
> defaults need to be reset. At this point I really do not know how to
> proceed/

What, if anything, does happen when you double-click one of these zip
files?

--
There's nothing quite like the joy of first hearing an Alvin & the Chipmunks
cover of Pink Floyd's "The Final Cut." "Not Now John" is especially sublime.

Tacit

Mar 16, 2005, 9:52:18 AM3/16/05

When you say it "does not work," what does that mean? Does the computer
do nothing at all? Do you see an error message?

Here is what SHOULD happen:

You double-click the .zip file. The computer unzips it. Now you have two
files--the original .zip file, and whatever file (or folder) is inside
the .zip archive.
--
Art, shareware, photography, polyamory, kink:
http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html

Axel Hammerschmidt

Mar 16, 2005, 11:27:28 AM3/16/05
PLB <sbr...@cox.net> wrote:

Be very careful about double clicking any files received as attachments.
Even with a Mac. What mail client are you using?

Alex Warofka

Mar 16, 2005, 11:54:49 AM3/16/05

Do you know the people that you are getting these messages from, and
were you expecting them?

Often, zip files that are attched to e-mail messages are designed to
exploit some Windows security hole, and are "corrupted" in a certain
way to allow them to serve this function.

If this is the case, a Mac (or any computer without the security hole
these files are designed to exploit) will see the zip archive in
question as nothing more than a corrupt file, and as such not be able
to extract it.

If you were expecting the files, and still can't manage to open them,
try control (or right) clicking on the file, choosing "Open With," and
then StuffIt Expander from the list that appears.

Richard E Maine

Mar 16, 2005, 12:26:31 PM3/16/05
In article <2005031611544916807%rsawarofka@maccom>,
Alex Warofka <rsawa...@mac.com> wrote:

> Often, zip files that are attched to e-mail messages are designed to
> exploit some Windows security hole, and are "corrupted" in a certain
> way to allow them to serve this function.
>
> If this is the case, a Mac (or any computer without the security hole
> these files are designed to exploit) will see the zip archive in
> question as nothing more than a corrupt file, and as such not be able
> to extract it.

Yes. My daughter, who is normally quite careful about such things, got
taken in by one of the email virus attachments once. It didn't seem to
"work" on her Mac, where she normally reads email, so she forwarded it
to her Windows game machine. Oops. :-(

email: my first.last at org.domain | experience comes from bad judgment.
org: nasa, domain: gov | -- Mark Twain

PLB

Mar 16, 2005, 6:24:50 PM3/16/05
Tacit,

Thanks for the reply. What happens when I double click is that I get
an error message as follows: "Unable to unarchive (lists the files
name)". Nothing additonal happens.

Steve Mills

Mar 16, 2005, 8:52:42 PM3/16/05
In article <1111015490....@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
"PLB" <sbr...@cox.net> wrote:

>Thanks for the reply. What happens when I double click is that I get
>an error message as follows: "Unable to unarchive (lists the files
>name)". Nothing additonal happens.

Try downloading the free version of StuffIt Expander from Alladin
<http://www.stuffit.com/mac/index.html>. That can extract .sit, .zip,
and all sorts of others. It might work when the OSX .zip decompressor
can't.

Oh, and try not to cross-post to so many groups. It's frowned upon.

--
Steve Mills
Mac geek, drummer

Bob Harris

Mar 16, 2005, 9:44:13 PM3/16/05

Applications -> Utilities -> Stuffit Expander
will expand .zip files.

You can even use Stuffit Expander to expand self-extracting .exe zip
files.

And if you get .tar, .gz, .tgz files, Stuffit Expander will handle them
as well.

Bob Harris

David C.

Mar 24, 2005, 5:12:52 PM3/24/05
Richard E Maine <nos...@see.signature> writes:

> Yes. My daughter, who is normally quite careful about such things, got
> taken in by one of the email virus attachments once. It didn't seem to
> "work" on her Mac, where she normally reads email, so she forwarded it
> to her Windows game machine. Oops. :-(

... and this is why e-mail should be scanned/filtered for virusses in
the mail server at the ISP. If you never get the virus, then there's no
way you can (even deliberately) execute it.

-- David

Axel Hammerschmidt

Mar 25, 2005, 11:56:42 AM3/25/05
David C. <sha...@techie.com> wrote:

Do you thereby mean that avoiding virus is not the responsibility of the
account owner?

David C.

Mar 31, 2005, 7:14:21 PM3/31/05
Axel Hammerschmidt writes:

Responsibility is a loaded word. If you get a virus, you're just as
screwed no matter who's "responsibility" it might be.

Nevertheless, there are several ISPs that actively filter out virusses
and worms from their e-mail servers. I recommend using these kinds of
providers. These filters mean you don't have to waste your time,
bandwidth and drive space downloading virusses, simply so your scanner
can find and delete them. And they protect users who may not have the
most up-to-date scanning software.

This is not a replacement for running a secure mail client (that is
incabale of running executable attachments) or a secure operating
system (that will minimize the damage caused if you are tricked into
manually executing one.

-- David