Internet printing in os x

Eric Johnson

Mar 22, 2005, 6:20:42 AM3/22/05

I can see the printer and mount volumes over the internet, but when I try to
print, the connection appears to be made, but then I get "host 'ip address'
is busy."

Then it holds this message and the barbershop pole in the progress bar.

Both machines are 10.3.8, with epson printer( color stylus 980, photo stylus
830u). All are supported.

Can anyone help?

Both computers see each other's printer's but the printing doesn't actually
occur.

Can anyone help?

PS

Apple -does not support- anything related to IP printing in OS X, even
though they have it there.

They also cannot tell you where to go to get the information about what
might be happening to keep the actual print from occurring.

Can anyone help?

Eric.

Eric Johnson

Mar 23, 2005, 8:00:44 AM3/23/05
On 3/23/05 1:34 PM, in article
1111581262.7...@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com, "DJ Craig"
<sp...@djtricities.com> wrote:

> I have this type of trouble with the printers all the time. Every time
> I get the printers working, they will work for a week or so, then start
> saying communication error or printer not found, or some other error.
> We have 6 printers in the house and 4 macs hooked up by ethernet. We
> have an epson color laser printer, an ancient black and white laser
> printer (this is actually the most reliable one) and a few different
> ink-jets (cannon, epson, lexmark).
> Any solutions?

Not yet.

ej

DJ Craig

Mar 23, 2005, 7:34:22 AM3/23/05

Charles Dyer

Mar 23, 2005, 11:41:57 AM3/23/05
On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 07:34:22 -0500, DJ Craig wrote
(in article <1111581262.7...@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>):

You appear to have a very strange setup. Given the way that fonts disappear
from your system, I would say that you need to FIX YOUR SYSTEM before doing
anything else. Disk Utility, Disk Warrior, Drive 10, and Tech Tool Pro are
around for a reason. Use 'em.

If, after you clean up the problems with your system(s), you still have
printer and font problems, we might be able to assist you properly if you
would:

1 clearly, concisely, document the exact problem

2 clearly, concisely, document which OS(es) you're running

3 clearly, concisely, document the printer(s) you are using.

4 clearly, concisely, document the Mac(s) you are using.

The fix for problems affecting Mac Pluses running System 7.1 and talking to
LaserWriter IIs over LocalTalk are not going to be very similar to the fix
for problems affecting PowerMac G5 dual 2.5s running OS X 10.3.8 and talking
to Xerox imagesetters via IP printing over Ethernet.

And, one last thing... given Lexmark's current unwillingness to provide
drivers which officially support OS X 10.3.x or which even work properly
under 10.3.x, perhaps it might be time to retire the Lexmark to what it can
do best: doorstop duty.

--
We are Microsoft of Borg. You will be assimilated. Stability is irrelevant.
Where _you_ want to go to today is irrelevant. We will add your currency to

Eric Johnson

Mar 23, 2005, 1:02:11 PM3/23/05
On 3/23/05 5:41 PM, in article
0001HW.BE670685...@news1.news.adelphia.net, "Charles Dyer"
<char...@newsguy.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 07:34:22 -0500, DJ Craig wrote
> (in article <1111581262.7...@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>):
>
>> I have this type of trouble with the printers all the time. Every time
>> I get the printers working, they will work for a week or so, then start
>> saying communication error or printer not found, or some other error.
>> We have 6 printers in the house and 4 macs hooked up by ethernet. We
>> have an epson color laser printer, an ancient black and white laser
>> printer (this is actually the most reliable one) and a few different
>> ink-jets (cannon, epson, lexmark).
>> Any solutions?
>>

> You appear to have a very strange setup. Given the way that fonts disappear
> from your system, I would say that you need to FIX YOUR SYSTEM before doing
> anything else. Disk Utility, Disk Warrior, Drive 10, and Tech Tool Pro are
> around for a reason. Use 'em.

I am not a newbie, sir, with all due respect.

> If, after you clean up the problems with your system(s), you still have
> printer and font problems, we might be able to assist you properly if you
> would:

1. I perform regular maintenance constantly.

If something stops working or slows down or just doesn't seem right, I'll do
an entire diagnostic from a booted Norton CD.

> 1 clearly, concisely, document the exact problem
>
> 2 clearly, concisely, document which OS(es) you're running
>
> 3 clearly, concisely, document the printer(s) you are using.
>
> 4 clearly, concisely, document the Mac(s) you are using.

As for the above:
I am trying it with a relatively tame set of computers, one in Amsterdam and
the other in Reno.

But it doesn't work, all the way...and Apple does not offer help /tech
support for its integrated CUPS IP printing.

Two PowerMacintosh G4 computers running 10.3.8.

A one-ghz titanium laptop, and a quicksilver 867mhz desktop.

Laptop has an Epson stylus photo 830u (purchased 2003) connected to it and
the desktop a Epson color stylus 980 (purchased 2002).

The desktop is in Reno so we'll call it Reno, and the laptop in Amsterdam so
well call him Amsterdam, for simplicity.

Reno is part of an airport network, but this seems to be mostly in order
because...

Both Reno and Amsterdam can see the other's printer when the IP addresses,
both static, are entered in the printer set up utility (which displays
"complete and valid address"), and the correct printer is generated after
making a choice from the available Epson printer types (in the add section
of the printer setup utility under "Esp (sic)." As several possibilities
exist here (color stylus versus photo stylus etcetera, all have been tried.)

Reno can even mount volumes from Amsterdam, all whilst conversing on I-chat
a/v, with video!

So the computers see each other, and as for the basics, the firewall has
been turned off and on alternately, and the printer sharing service has been
on and exempted in firewall (one thing here is there are two ports listed
for printer sharing, 631 and 515 when one checks in firewall).

But the same thing happens when Reno tries to print on Amsterdam's printer
as when Amsterdam tries to print on Reno's printer, in both directions using
other words (which would lead one to believe that this is not a broken
permissions problem).

A software program (usually word) prints and sends the job to the print
manager. The correct printer appears in the dock, named as its IP address.

The message above the progress bar shows pages being quickly processed as
indicated by pages number and percentage, and then the message, "Connecting
to <IP address (Reno or Amsterdam)> on port 631.

Then the barbershop pole rotates for approximately 20 seconds, and then the
-same message- appears, "Network host <IP address> is busy."

The barber shop pole rotates endlessly from here on.

I have also replaced the G4 Titanium with my G3 Pismo, and the same things
occurs, but since the Pismo is running Norton's firewall, I was able to see
continuous attempts of Reno actually being connected for up to 30 seconds,
before the attempt is broken off. This happens continuously until the
requests are manually halted by Reno.

Does anyone have any idea, as apparently, according to the tech support
line, -nobody- at apple can explain this to you.

This is what is called apparently, "ADVANCED NETWORKING," and as such, one
needs to find a book, a discussion group, or hire a networking consultant.

They cannot even tell you where to go to find such help.

> The fix for problems affecting Mac Pluses running System 7.1 and talking to
> LaserWriter IIs over LocalTalk are not going to be very similar to the fix
> for problems affecting PowerMac G5 dual 2.5s running OS X 10.3.8 and talking
> to Xerox imagesetters via IP printing over Ethernet.

I am aware of this, but none of this is the case, see above.

> And, one last thing... given Lexmark's current unwillingness to provide
> drivers which officially support OS X 10.3.x or which even work properly
> under 10.3.x, perhaps it might be time to retire the Lexmark to what it can
> do best: doorstop duty.

Both printers are Epson color stylus or Photo Stylus, and there are various
choices as explained above.

If you can help, I would appreciate it.

But it is safe to say I would not have gotten the computers to see each
other or to be able to mount volumes, had I not at least something on the
ball.

Than you in advance, and I hope I have been clear and specific enough.

Regards,

Eric Johnson

Axel Hammerschmidt

Mar 23, 2005, 5:57:26 PM3/23/05
Eric Johnson <er...@xs4all.nl> wrote:

> Apple -does not support- anything related to IP printing in OS X, even
> though they have it there.
>
> They also cannot tell you where to go to get the information about what
> might be happening to keep the actual print from occurring.
>
> Can anyone help?

Go visit Epsons homepage.